HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2004, 04:52 PM
Registered Snoozer
Palo alto CA
Joined Oct 2004
716 Posts
solid balsa dlg wing?

i want to make a small discus glider dose it work to just use a solid piece of say 1/4 or 1/8 inch balsa and sand it down for the wing?
FairlyFaded is offline Find More Posts by FairlyFaded
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2004, 05:22 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
How small? 1/4 works for free flight gliders up to about 26 to 30 inch span but over that I'd recomend something thicker like 5/16. But unless you can find a VERY light couple of pieces of wood it's going to be heavy. Even at 5/16 I wouldn't be surprised if the wing rips during the launch.

For a solid balsa conventional hand launch design check out the Apogee by Mark Drela. I think that one is carved from super light 1/2 inch wood.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl..._apogeehlg.htm
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 01, 2004, 05:47 PM
Joined Nov 2004
28 Posts
I think if you made a jedelski wing out of 1/4" and reinforced the throwing peg area it would work.
Red Bar Room is offline Find More Posts by Red Bar Room
Old Dec 01, 2004, 06:09 PM
Registered Snoozer
Palo alto CA
Joined Oct 2004
716 Posts
what is a jedelski wing?
Old Dec 01, 2004, 09:11 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
It was a type of airfoil that used a thicker leading edge portion and a thinner sheet trailing edge portion. For a 6 inch chord wing they were typically made from 1/4 x 3 for the leading edge and 3/32 x3 for the trailing edge with a lower surface V shape that sat about 1/4 to 3/8 inch high at the joint between the two sheets. The thicker leading edge is then sanded down in an upper surface arc to blend into the trailing edge sheet and provide an airfoil'y leading edge shape. The shallow triangular ribs were often left glued on the bottom of the wing to provide some chordwise stiffness.

All in all it's not a good alternative for a DLG glider. The wing is still very thin and flexible and I strongly suspect the wing would twist and tear on the first serious discus launch.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 01, 2004, 09:15 PM
Registered Snoozer
Palo alto CA
Joined Oct 2004
716 Posts
im not going to be going gung ho with this plan i wont mind if i only launch it to like 40 or 50 feet. i just want somthing that will fit in my locker for lunch time break. Theirs a good basball dimond and this patch of very dark soil and down wind of that theirs a very large flield so i think it should make a good thermaling patch.
Old Dec 01, 2004, 10:00 PM
Registered Snoozer
Palo alto CA
Joined Oct 2004
716 Posts
im going with the solid leading edge and ribs coming back. im also going to put some X shaped pieces in beetween each rip for some twisting suport.