Anderson Kingfisher

I am looking for a plan of an Anderson Kingfisher can any1 help
AUSELECTRIC is online now Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2004, 09:26 AM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
Traplet publishing in U.K have a quarter scale plan for a Anderson Kingfisher drawn by Dennis Tapsfield. A very nice model with a span of 2.76 metres or 109 inches. I have been flying mine for years with an OS FS 120 Surpass 4-stroke, pumped. I usually fly with around half throttle.

I am attaching a picture of my model.

Christer Lagerstedt
Haninge MFC, Sweden
Christer Lagerstedt is offline Find More Posts by Christer Lagerstedt
Old Dec 02, 2004, 09:31 AM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
Picture did not work. I will try again.
Christer
Old Feb 04, 2005, 05:31 PM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
Anderson Kingfisher flyers..I would like to know it's idiosyncrasies especially takeoffs and landings[B]
dmodeller is offline Find More Posts by dmodeller
Old Feb 05, 2005, 06:11 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Hi Auselectric, the same aircraft plans as built and shown by Christer below are available as well online from Radio Control Modeler plans service, plan no. 1060. Please note that I am assuming from your user name that you are from Australia and possibly would prefer an electric powered version, therefore see if you can get in touch with a fellow countryman by the name of Dennis Tapsfield who is the designer of this aircraft and has also designed and published a LARGER version as well, though I am not aware of an electric one.

To Christer: I already have the same plans and also have purchased a wing kit for a 108" cub to use the ribs etc for the wings as mentioned in the RCM construction article. I am just completing a scale Stinson of about the same size and the Anderson Kingfisher is my next scheduled build. Therefore, are there any areas I should be careful in or any areas you modified in your build. I was considering using some triangle stock on the forward outer edges of the hull/fuse and cannot determine from your pic if you had done this as well. As well does the aircraft have any vices I should be aware of?...does your undercarriage rotate on command from the radio?...did you fiberglass the inside of the hull/fuse in any way?
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Feb 06, 2005, 09:21 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,693 Posts
You know there's a kit of this airplane at about a 74" span? Out of production, but I guess they're still available- I have one in my stash.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Feb 07, 2005, 01:14 AM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
To Sackie: Yes my model have triangular spray rails at the junktion fuselage sides and bottom. Very nessesary for a waterplane. The model is a very nice flyer, it flies on around half throttle ( I am using a OS 120 FS). One have to take off into the wind, as the wing floats sits a bit out on the wing it is very easy to get one to dig in if one have wind pressure from the side. I usually start the take off with up elevator until the model is on the step.

I liked the design of the model and made very few modifications. However I made the bottom up to the step from 50 millimeter (2") blue foam, cut and sanded to shape and then glassed. I like to have a bottom that can take running into a rock without getting a hole in the hull. The whole of the fuselage is glassed and the inside painted. I put the tank, a short Graupner 400 cc one, behind the engine. I might one day use a boxer twin in the Kingfisher. I also started to make a retractable landing gear for the model but that one is not ready yet. I must make a pneumatic cylinder for it. Also I want a air cylinder on the water rudder to be able to put it down after retracting the gear. I do not intend to take off from land but want to be able to taxi down the beach and then retract the wheels.

Christer
Haninge MFC, Sweden
Old Feb 08, 2005, 10:18 AM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Hi Christer: many thanks for your reply. Seems that we think alike in many ways. I would suggest that you consider using just a servo to operate the retraction and deployment of the water rudder. Because it must be deployed AFTER the aircraft is FULLY IN the water you will not be able to use the same servo as the one that operates the main gear, otherwise you will be scraping it against the beach on your way into the water.

To Auselectric: If you cannot think of any other way of contacting Dennis Tapsfield maybe send an e-mail to the editor of RCM and ask them to pass your e-mail on to him, that is if you wish an electric version of this beautiful aircraft. One of the guys in the local club has a very similar aircraft to the 108" and you should see this thing fly, absolutely graceful (flown with a 1.08 2 stroke), though he often removes his tip floats when taking off or landing in choppy water. This is a potential needed strengthening area of this aircraft, but within consideration as you would prefer that the float comes off before the wing gets damaged.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 01:19 PM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
To Sackie ..have developed a new system for the Kingfisher wing floats..should rid the problem of breaking off but still keeps the easy on and off situation. If you would like details, email me ..dmodeller@aol.com, I''ll send details and pics. Too much to list here.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 09:51 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Hi Auselectric, I have just found an article with a 1/3 scale Kingfisher constructed by an Aussie named Tim Nolan e-mail provided tinytim@froggy.com.au. His aircraft has a fiberglass fuse constructed by him. This was not a true construction article nor does RCM have any plans for this SIZE though the article was in their October 2001 magazine.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 02:00 PM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
dmodeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer Lagerstedt
Picture did not work. I will try again.
Christer
Hi Christer ..trying to figure out where the splash rail is on your model. Am finishing a Kingfisher and the plans show the size and location in the top view , but no location in the side view. Is there an optimum location?
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:24 PM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
Speay rails

The spray rails are almost always placed at the junktion of the forward bottom and the fuselage sides. The idea is to redirect the spray from the bottom away from wing and propeller. My bottom surface is around 20 degrees from the horisontal and the bottom of the spray rails parallell to the horisont or ever angeled down.

I you want I could made a small drawing over the princip. Just tell me

Christer
Haninge MFC, Sweden
Old Apr 08, 2005, 03:31 PM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
Kingfisher spray rails

Hi Christer ..found a place on the plansthat shows the location...many thanks for your answer.[from dmodeller]
Old Mar 14, 2006, 03:08 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1 Posts
Hi Kingfisher pilots. I am just about to start a 78 inch span Kingfisher. Can anybody advise about C of G. Is any ballast required in the nose.
lynden@jodel120. is offline Find More Posts by lynden@jodel120.
Last edited by lynden@jodel120.; Apr 30, 2006 at 05:16 PM. Reason: no body will talk to me
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:21 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
Hi Everyone just found my old post after a google search so it is now time for an update.

Got 1/4 scale plans of the internet back in 2004 and cut the Ribs and Spars but due to lack of space and funds the Project was put on the back burner until now.

I am currently building a 6x6m shed to use as a workshop and The first project out will be the kingfisher. I still intend to use electric power and given the advances in brushless technology it should be alot cheaper.

The kingfisher build should start after christmas and I would like to see others kingfisher project and comments to help me along the way.

I have built a few small gliders but this will be my first big build and have to say getting a bit excited.
AUSELECTRIC is online now Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC