SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2001, 11:55 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Where to find a BIG cardboard box???

Need a large airplane shaped box made of sturdy cardboard...any ideas where to look? Ideally, about 12" x 12" and about 60" long. Got to get this kit sent out but can't locate a decent box!!!
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2001, 12:14 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Dec 2000
60 Posts
I looked forever. You could either buy full sheets of cardboard and cut your own or go to a place like mailboxes etc and buy two golf club boxes and splice them.
s
BleakleyS is offline Find More Posts by BleakleyS
Old May 06, 2001, 12:35 AM
What's a Member??
Sydney,Australia
Joined Mar 2000
632 Posts
Why not just go to a removal company and get one of their boxes??
Alex
Regecide is offline Find More Posts by Regecide
Old May 06, 2001, 12:45 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts

Bike shops have great boxes that they sometimes give away for free. Not quite 12" in one dimension but spacious in others and real thick cardboard. Perfect for customizng...Check out the high quality shops for these and see if they have any tandem bike boxes as they're even bigger.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old May 06, 2001, 01:44 AM
p471701
n/a Posts
if you go to mail box etc,be prepared for sticker shock.
i shipped a small spd 400 plane back east and it cost $30.00 just for the box and packing material.plus the shipping of $25.00 (a discounted price because they're one of my customers.total cost $55.00 for a $100.00 plane. i learned my lesson, never ship a built plane unless you sell it plus shipping!.......gregg
Old May 06, 2001, 06:47 AM
Hatboro Pa. USA
Joined Jan 2001
346 Posts
Well, There is one place that has BIG boxes and you can get them for free. I know its going to sound bad but these guys have the best big strong boxes around. Go to you local funural polar. The boxes the caskets come in are strong and big for large airplane shipment. You will like the box so much that someday you will come back for one of your own. Oh one thing dont go in the basement
Capt. Dave is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Dave
Old May 06, 2001, 07:10 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,271 Posts
Most of the truck rental places like U-Haul also sell various size boxes.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old May 06, 2001, 07:43 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
If you don't want to pay a leg and an arm for a box you will have to make your own from a throw-a-way box. Pre built cabinets and appliances come in big boxes. You could use a sheet of 1" Styrofoam to cut around the plane to protect it.
..AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old May 06, 2001, 08:15 AM
Wilmington Oh 45177
Joined Nov 1999
885 Posts
I get mine at lowes, they have very big boxes and they will give you one if you ask.
Regads,
Shelby
shelby is offline Find More Posts by shelby
Old May 06, 2001, 08:42 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Home Depot/Lowes!
The boxes that they ship large quanities of overhead flourescant bulbs in! Perfect! I was eyeing these the other day, just find the electric department manager and ask if you could help them re-stock the bulb department from overhead - carefully open one of those boxes (they just use a knife to cut the lid off) and transfer the contents from the new one to an old one.
Or just buy a case of bulbs and scap 'em - may be cheaper than a moving or shipping supply store!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 06, 2001, 02:03 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by p471701:
if you go to mail box etc,be prepared for sticker shock.
i shipped a small spd 400 plane back east and it cost $30.00 just for the box and packing material.plus the shipping of $25.00 (a discounted price because they're one of my customers.total cost $55.00 for a $100.00 plane. i learned my lesson, never ship a built plane unless you sell it plus shipping!.......gregg

No, I think you learned a lesson not to go to Mailboxes etc for anything. There normal rate on just a priority mail letter is $6.50 here caompared to 3.95 at the post office, and they won't insure it at them.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2001, 01:51 AM
Tiger Moth World Tour
New Berlin, WI USA
Joined Jan 2001
187 Posts
Check an auto dealership or bodyshop. Fenders and hoods are shipped in boxes like that.
Clydewinder is offline Find More Posts by Clydewinder
Old May 07, 2001, 10:40 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,165 Posts
How about a cut down refrigerator box?
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old May 07, 2001, 02:55 PM
Los Banos Ca.
Joined Apr 2000
242 Posts
The best boxes are at your local flower shops. They are heavy duty, and large enough for most planes. If you need longer, ust cut two and tape together.
Tom Rouch is offline Find More Posts by Tom Rouch
Old May 08, 2001, 01:22 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,543 Posts
If you can't find cheep (free) cardboard you might try this...

In one of the recent mags there was an article on making your own boxes out of Coroplast. Previously, I have made several Coroplast boxes to ship equipment in. You should be able to make a 12x12x60 box out of a single sheet. A 4'x8'x4mm Coroplast sheet typicallygoes for less than $10. It's easy to cut.

- Roger
gnofliwr is online now Find More Posts by gnofliwr