HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2004, 01:20 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Absalut Build Thread (Q&A)

Hey guys,

There's a few threads on the Absalut DLG. It's getting Scattered. I want to start this thread for anything that has to do with the Absalut DLG.

To start with, I should be getting mine in soon whenever I-Care sends mine out. I keep checking my Credit Card and it has not been charged. I ordered Yesterday EARLY morning and Icare guys emailed me back answering a few questions. But they did not say anything about shipping. They do USPS Priority. If they woulda send it out today "Tuesday" I would recieve it around Friday. So if they ship it out tomorrow Hopefully it will come in Saturday so I can start on the build.

I have on order, Hitec Electron 6 RX because I currently own one, and basically specked out my Art Hobby Timon 2m with this receiver. So I trust this RX in my Absalut. I also ordered 4 HS-56HB. They're 12mm or .45" inch Thick. They weigh 10grams. I heard the centering is excellent and the gears are karbonite. Also they are Ball Bearing drivin too. Should be smooth. The casing has a side mounting bracket built in but I doubt I'll use it.

In my Art Hobby Timon's servos are servo tape mounted and a layer of clear tape over that, then the skin that was cut out reattatched with tape over the servo. It holds on super tight and nice. I've done plenty of highspeed passes and no sign of flutter. I will try this method on the Absalut. If it does not work, then I will epoxy the servos in the wing with heatshrink.

For a battery pack, I ordered 4 400mah NiMh 2/3AAA cells. Lighter than 4 700mah NiMh AAA cells that I also ordered too. I will put both packs together and see which one works best in the nose.

Don't know if it's neccessary for a switch jack. I can do the old fashion plug and unplug from the RX way as I do with most of my slopers.

Any Inputs would be great.

-Tomi
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2004, 01:24 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Found this off of a website. Hope they don't mind. The yellow actually does look very nice. There's a few photos with the red one. The red actually looks pinkish. Good thing I didn't get red. But it would show up better when specking out. (if I ever speck out a DLG)

Speaking of specking out. Anyone ever thought of putting some sort of darker color on the bottom of the wing to see it better when you're really high??

-Tomi
Old Dec 01, 2004, 01:51 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Oh I just remembered. I was thinking of putting a layer of carbon on the inside top wingskin for the servo seat. That way it could be even stronger. A bit of weight penalty but should stiffen up the area where the servo is mounted.
Old Dec 01, 2004, 02:47 PM
NOVARA - ITALY
Joined Dec 2003
71 Posts
New post about aileron-servo linkage.
Look at here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305023

Bye!!!!!!!!!
alevilla is online now Find More Posts by alevilla
Old Dec 03, 2004, 02:12 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
checked my credit card and Icare has charged it. No info on if they shipped it yet. Most likely I will get it early next week. I hope Monday.

My batteries weren't shipped either and I ordered 3 days ago. But that isn't important right now.

I ordered 4 HS-56HB servos. Heard great things about these servos and I thought I'd try it. I get weight penalty for strength. Along with that is a Electron 6.

I need to go get some carbon cloth for reinforcements also. Gonna use weaved carbon for the servo mounting spot underneath the top skin and for the peg.
Old Dec 03, 2004, 05:27 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Everything has been shipped. Both plane and the batteries were shipped yesterday. Today my radio gear was shipped out.

I read on the I-Care shipping info and it says that they ship Priority Mail. USPS. Which takes 2-3 days to get to your door. They sent me a confirmation that the plane was shipped out and should be here on the 9th. That's 6-7 days.. Wierd. Should give me time to clean my work bench off on sunday and grab some carbon from the LHS on monday. Chargin up the batteries for my digi cam for loads of photos.

Build time on this plane should be around 1 days worth of work...

-Tomi
Old Dec 04, 2004, 05:47 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Things are starting to come together. Batteries were delivered to my mailbox. So it should be there when I check the mail. Didn't think those would come first. I ordered them last! Everything is comin in the mail backwards lol... I should get the servos in Monday. I don't know about the plane. I-Care says they send it USPS Priority but checking it on the web with the tracking number provided by the candian website, it says it was shipped out on the 2nd ad will be delivered on the 9th. Oh well... Went to my LHS and grabbed a small roll of 1" wide iron on carbon tape by CST. Of course I won't be ironing it. I still need to find some carbon for the peg reinforcement. I'd rather have it overkill than fixing it if it ever breaks on me. specialy after seeing the photos of the Blaster's wing tip.
Old Dec 04, 2004, 06:23 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,875 Posts
Tomi,

Do you have a gram scale? If so, how about weighing the parts when you get it?

I'm dubious about the cf in the servo bay helping much. I think the stress actually occurs at the edge of the foam cut out. Vertical 1/32 or 1/16 balsa around the servo cut out might help more. I think Mark D had some comments on that somewhere, but haven't a clue where.

On the servo peg, you might try some 1/64 ply patches instead of the cf. I know some folks that are really happy with that. 1 1/4 square should work out fine.

Luck,

Gary
GaryO is online now Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Dec 04, 2004, 06:55 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
The reason I want to use the CF in the servo well is so that if the aileron EVER get's knocked on, the top wing skin won't get ripped apart. Get what i'm trying to do??? The CF is just for the servo to anker on and to reinforce the area where the LIGHT built wing skin is. Don't hurt to do a bit of reinforcing in that area. You never know the results man. This is my first 300+ dollar REAL DLG so I'm just trying to play it safe.

As for the Servo Peg, I don't quite understand which part you're talking about. What I was talking about is putting a washer shape CF cloth around the THROWING peg so that it won't tear the wing skin.(if it ever does like a few blasters that I heard had some cracks at the throwing peg wing tip.)

I will try to borrow a scale and weigh all the components.
Old Dec 06, 2004, 09:43 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Wow, USPS auto updating thingie is pretty slow. (As always) Told me wife to come out to work with me 2 hours before the mailman came. I went slopin today. Came home just a while ago and a pink slip was on my door. I was like,,ehhh I have nothing comin in the mail to me... Kept thinking who sent me something and it's certified. There's a article number on there and i found out that it matches the email that Icare sent me with their Canadian Postal Service website. my plane came but it was too bad my wife wasn't at home.

I will see if I can borrow a scale and weigh everything tomorrow.

Build thread is comin really quick.

Didn't recieve my Servos and RX...

-Tomi
Old Dec 07, 2004, 01:45 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Okay well, I-care sent me the red one. Looks kinda orangy. The plane was packaged really well. I'm glad it arrived safetly.

Got my servos and RX in.

I'm ready to build tonight.

-Tomi
Old Dec 07, 2004, 04:35 PM
Love my Pike Superior!
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,709 Posts
It's been a little over 2.5 hours and only one pic? What gives!?!?!?!

You going to try and fly it this weekend up at the ASF field?

Jared
averen is offline Find More Posts by averen
Old Dec 07, 2004, 06:46 PM
Love my Pike Superior!
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,709 Posts
Did you get a hold of a scale yet? Wish I would have known you needed one...I could have brought it up to CPH with me the otherday.

I'll bring it up to work tomorrow (183 and Great Hills Trail) it's a quick trip for you. If you need/want it let me know.

Make sure you get your linkages TIGHT! Nothing worse than flutter! If you need any help give me a ring.

Jared
averen is offline Find More Posts by averen
Old Dec 07, 2004, 11:49 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
No Scale. My buddy wasn't around so I'm gonna go on with the build so that I can fly this weekend. I might go out there to ASF field if I get a chance.

I went home to pick up shanna. so I snapped a few photos before I left. So far I've worked on the tail.

I reinforced the pylon with iron on carbon. I just used thin CA. it's super strong now. The rudder boom slot calls for 60mm slits. I cut 30mm in the tail boom and 30mm off the rudder. That equals 60mm.

Did the sanding as per instructions. Round the LE and Wedge the TE. Simple!

The elevator was tacked onto the pylon with thin CA. I set the plane with the wing bolted on, level. Using a water meter thingie, I checked the balance on the H-stab. Sanded the area, Mixed 5 minute epoxy, slapped epoxy on the pylon, put the pylon on the sanded area on the tail, and walla. Straight! The H-stab decided to pop off loose when I was done. It's good to keep it on when you do the rudder.

I cut the slits for the rudder. 30mm. I used a disposable saw blade for sawing metal. didn't have any cut off wheels for my dremel. This worked great. After the top and bottom slits were cut, I opened it up carefully with a razor to match the thickness of the rudder. Cut the rudder's LE 30mm to slide in the slot. Works Good. Everything is straight.

Now I just need to glue the rudder in. I'll put kelvar patches on each side.
Old Dec 07, 2004, 11:53 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
I decided not to hinge the way the instructions tells you. Using their cloth, saturate it with CA, and use them as CA hinges. nahh... I'm just gonna cover the tail with clear covering and use hinge tape. It's more clean anyway..

Also, it came with Pull Pull lines for the rudder and elevator. Blahh... I dont really wanna mess with that. I want to use the conventional way. Pushrods! But I have no idea if anyone in town has pushrods that are light enough. I hope to find some carbon pushrods.

-Tomi