Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 27, 2002, 04:42 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
John Thompson's Removable Wing E3D

My mate JohnThompson came over with his nearly completed E3D which he has built beautifully with very neat removable wings.

He has made the wings in two halves and used the gap between the top and bottom spars for a 1/4 balsa sheet joiner. The fuse wing hole was filled in and slotted for the joiner. As the original wings size was used the span has been increased by the fuse width, and the wing area increased by about 32sq in.

The current airframe weight with motor, gearbox, prop, rx, and 2 servos is 32.25oz. We estimate the AUW with 10 RC2000 cells will be 56oz. John intends to fly it on these ansd smaller cells so I am sure the performance will be excellent.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2002, 04:43 PM
HyperFlight Support
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
With the wing half removed...
Old Feb 27, 2002, 04:44 PM
HyperFlight Support
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
Both wings removed.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 04:44 PM
HyperFlight Support
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
Fuse closeup
Old Feb 27, 2002, 05:32 PM
Crete, NE. USA
Joined Jul 2001
259 Posts
That's fantastic!!!

I may just have to saw my wing in half!!

Don
DonH is offline Find More Posts by DonH
Last edited by DonH; Feb 27, 2002 at 05:46 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2002, 10:08 AM
UK / Germany
Joined Nov 2001
631 Posts
What covering did John use? especially the clear stuff, looks good and light.

Also, a few more grams can be saved by removing the cut outs in the canopy / hatch, or is there a reason they are left in?

Great ideas, in some ways I wish I had seen this before I finished my one piece E3D

Gary, how about asking John if it's Ok to include his idea in the instructions as an option.

Paul
pgleesonuk is offline Find More Posts by pgleesonuk
Old Feb 28, 2002, 10:35 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,138 Posts
Well,.. I can't see how the 1/4" sheet balsa is really gonna hold the wing together and on the airplane. I don't plan on making the kit with removable wing anytime soon,.. but I've got that in mind for the future due to all the requests. at the moment, I have some other projects going though.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Feb 28, 2002, 10:42 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
As the wing is quite thick.. If (when) I build one like that, I'd put 1/4" sq. spruce caps top and bottom on the 1/4" balsa tongue.. just for the bending loads which are highest at the root.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2002, 02:30 PM
HyperFlight Support
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
> What covering did John use? especially the clear stuff, looks good and light.

The clear covering John used is Tom Hunt's Doculam.

> Also, a few more grams can be saved by removing the cut outs in the canopy / hatch, or is there a reason they are left in?

John found these holes aesthetically displeasing, and didn't think the weight saving was worth it.

> Great ideas, in some ways I wish I had seen this before I finished my one piece E3D

Thanks. I'll pass on your comments to John. I intend to use the same method on my E3D!

Neil.
Old Feb 28, 2002, 02:40 PM
HyperFlight Support
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky Paul
As the wing is quite thick.. If (when) I build one like that, I'd put 1/4" sq. spruce caps top and bottom on the 1/4" balsa tongue.. just for the bending loads which are highest at the root.
Thanks for your suggestion. As as a result of your and Garry's comments John has decided to make another joiner with spruce caps.

Neil.
Old Feb 28, 2002, 07:48 PM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
Without doing the math and figuring out the bending loads and gee forces, I would still have to say you might have a problem with just the spruce caps. The balsa will not take the load and you are counting on the glue joint between the balsa and spruce to hold up. This might be a problem due to landing stresses. I would put 1/64th ply on the sides and wrap in 1. 4 ounce cloth.

Keep in mind this is just a very rough estimate but done properly the weight increase would be under 1 ounce and the strength both under flight loads and hard landings would be enhanced.

I assume that the wing tongue is held into a box on both sides? The loads from this tongue are distributed evenly and spread out with no stress risers?
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Mar 01, 2002, 09:21 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Neil
Thanks for posting that - I say a few choice Anglo-Saxons every time I slot mine into the car

Is there any kind of carry-through box in the fuselage, or does that 1/4" joiner just pass through slots in the sides?

I dealt with the holes in the 'canopy' with pieces of solid colour sticky trim. Whatever, this is my last see-through RC model! Regardless of Gary's views on the aesthetics, some things should be hidden, IMO, and the insides of aircraft (especially mine!) are on that list.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 01, 2002, 09:25 AM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
Re: John Thompson's Removable Wing E3D

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Stainton
He has made the wings in two halves and used the gap between the top and bottom spars for a 1/4 balsa sheet joiner. .
Are you sure that is a balsa joiner? I can't see it taking much stress. I would expect that it is 1/4" aircraft plywood.

Can you confirm?

Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Last edited by Dave Seay; Mar 01, 2002 at 09:27 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2002, 11:02 AM
Just one more plane...
Lisbon, PORTUGAL
Joined Nov 2001
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sal
Without doing the math and figuring out the bending loads and gee forces, I would still have to say you might have a problem with just the spruce caps. The balsa will not take the
Spruce caps, in my opinion, can take all the load. It's not a heavy airplane...

The balsa could be there just to keep those caps apart from each other. They will take all the load (perhaps the load of four E3D )

I don't have lots of experience, but all my planes could be shaked from wing tips without bending the wing! Yes, I know, I overbuilt them...
My Twinstar scares me because just holding the plane from wing tips will bend the wing!!! A lot!!!
When I think about what I do with it in the air......
The "caps" in my Twinstar are... tape made!

See the "spar" system I used in my Sport 600 to reinforce the wing (site below) - I don't think the spar is necessary. If I didn't use a spar (like I did in Capiche) I would have 1,5mm (1/16") balsa taking the load and that would be sufficient... thinking of it, 0,8mm (1/32") balsa would be enough.
jopereira is offline Find More Posts by jopereira
Old Mar 01, 2002, 03:06 PM
Still diggin' holes...
Belgium
Joined Jan 2002
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dereck
Neil

I dealt with the holes in the 'canopy' with pieces of solid colour sticky trim. Whatever, this is my last see-through RC model! Regardless of Gary's views on the aesthetics, some things should be hidden, IMO, and the insides of aircraft (especially mine!) are on that list.
I've built many see-through planes, especially the funfly types. I always think it's a shame when I start covering a model. I always try to keep the construction clean-looking, even in areas that won't be seen when the plane is finished.
Why? First, I take pride in my work when I arrive at the field and the guys over there start to comment on how nice the plane is built. And second, building things that way also assures that they are built the right way. Everything fits well, no gaps on glue joints (CA!!!), no exess glue, things like that. It just feels better knowing everything is in place when you start stressing the plane to its limits...
Cometlover is offline Find More Posts by Cometlover