HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:02 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Hello everyone !

Hi guys, and gals,

I am new to this forum and would like to say hello to you all.

I am in Hong Kong and am planning to build a Model Slipway Aziz. While I was searching for related information I found this forum. Actually my target is a Arleigh Burke Flight IIA warship in 1/96 scale. However, warship is an aspect I found very difficult to get into. So I move one step backward and target on the Aziz. It seems here is the right place to learn and see.

I hope you will help me out during my building process.

Douglas
Douglas is offline Find More Posts by Douglas
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2004, 05:22 AM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
Welcom Douglas

i think its great to see all these people getting in boats, hope we can see some of your work sometime.

James
_James_ is offline Find More Posts by _James_
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:19 AM
If it ain't broke, fix it
Cambridge
Joined Aug 2004
433 Posts
welcome douglas.
i am resonable new on here aswell. and u will find these guys and girls are very helpfull indeed.
thething84 is offline Find More Posts by thething84
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:30 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
wellcome Douglas:
I've only been here a short wile, and feel right at home.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:49 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Thanks !

I am sure I just joined a big and interesting family.

Douglas
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:15 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,878 Posts
Hi Dougie!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 30, 2004, 01:05 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
Hello Douglass, i have read your posts on other forum boards. I dont understand whats so hard about getting into warships? At the "warship models underway" forum you got the info you needed to order or at least understand how would need to proceed for a warship? Your other option is to scratchbuild from a set of plans. This info was also offered at the other web site. My question is what brought up the topic of "Ark model"? You went to an extreme degree to insure everybody you werent with "Ark model"? What was that about?
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Nov 30, 2004, 08:57 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Mike, I wrote you an email. Please check.

Douglas
Old Dec 01, 2004, 01:52 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
Sorry Douglas, didnt get your email. Or inadvertantly deleted it without recognizing it? Building a warship is relatively easy. Just more steps than a civilian scale boat. Floating drydock has by far the best plans. "windjammer-arts.com" has a great selection as well, cheaper but with less detail than floating drydock. Thats why their cheaper than floating drydock. Still, over all, you would be better off, if you can afford it, to buy a hull from scale shipyard. lee Upshaw makes great hulls from what i've seen and for the price you seem to get a lot. Plus, its a big jumpstart on building such a involved project as an Arleigh Burke class Destroyer! I built a Perry class frigate, all from scratch. I'm wishing i had bought a hull instead, might have been done a lot sooner! Best of luck.
Last edited by OhioMIke; Dec 01, 2004 at 01:53 AM. Reason: add url
Old Dec 01, 2004, 06:03 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Nevermind Mike. I just wrote something to let you know of the whole story. I said R/C warship modelling is not easy to get into because someone famous in this field is driving me away. I take this as a hobby, then what is the point to stay and get pissed off. I know there will be a company which will produce my dream boat someday. I have been waiting for years and it is not a big deal for me to wait for a few more years.

I understand it is not difficult to modify a Flight 1 or 2 to a Flight 2A. However, I think some companies are studborn that they will stay on the original hull and do nothing more to maintain their reputation. Someday, for sure, there will be another company which produce a kit not ever available in the market. This is called competition and only the one who advance could survive in the battle. This is a commercial world, customer will make their choice on quality and price.

As I said, I will step back and concentrate on tug boat. I know it is fun, and I found this forum. Just the hello from the new friends here is enough for me to stay. I never heard of this kind word in other ship modelling forum.

Ah, one things here, would you let me have a look at your Perry Class ? I guess it looks great.

If you like you could write to me at kwok-leung_chan@wsd.gov.hk
Old Dec 02, 2004, 01:24 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
The Tug boat sounds good. Theres a whole lot more options for detailing and animating Tug boats then there are for warships. Cranes and lights and radars and winchs and a thousand things to detail that animate or dont! I'm amazed every time one of the fellas brings a tug to the club outings. Something new has been added that adds even more to a great project! Look at full size tugs on the net for different ideas. As far as your quest for a Flt. 2A or any other variant of any given project. Remember, these manufacturers are not going to lay up a new hull and all the costs and work neccessary to do that unless they are certain their going to sell a lot of them. One hull sale wont pay the cost. With all the Arleigh Burke Destroyers on the net though, it would surprise me if nobody does one. Deans marine, thru Loyalhanna might be source. Another thing i have found and the net just shows this more than the old print days, and that is that your going to deal with a lot of poor characters and inflated egos! Its model boats and ships people, get a life! Above all, enjoy "your" hobby. Your dream ship may be closer and a lot easier than you think! My Perry wont be finished till spring. I'll post pics then. Good luck!
Old Dec 02, 2004, 04:05 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Do you know what, Mike ? You are one of the four or five who responed to me in the Model Modelship Underway forum. And you are the only one of these four or five who gives me the encouragement.

I understand big model ships are not like those Tamiya 1/350 or 1/700 models. They sell a lot on that small scale, so the steel moulding is worth it. I know this is not so in 1/96. However, as all the manufacturers are producing the Flight 1 or 2 kit, why not a single one think of doing a break through by producing a Flight 2A kit and dominate the whole market. I am confident that most modellers will choose a Flight 2A kit rather than the classic Flight 1 or 2. This is the way a business to survive. This is how you are going to win the competition. It's only the hull after all, the fittings for Flight 2A is exactly the same as the earlier models.

Yes, I will hang on. The best thing of a real modeller is patience. I have been waiting for a few years, and I don't mind waiting for a few more for my dream ship.

Meanwhile, I will try the tug boat. It looks good. I hope I could show you my work soon. Well, soon will be half or a whole year I guess.

Anyway, glad to know you Mike. I guess we will talk to each other very often in forums like this.

Once again, thanks for your encouragement. I understand what you said "Your dream ship may be closer and a lot easier than you think!"

Douglas
Old Dec 02, 2004, 12:00 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,423 Posts
If you can dream it, you can build it.
Consider building from scratch. If you look at a lot of the posts here, there are many first time builders that built their dream boat starting with nothing more than that dream, a good set of plans, and a piece of plywood.

Whether this leads to a tug boat, or a warship, build it as big, or as small as you want.

1/72nd scale Bismarck(12 feet{3.65m}) and 1/700 scale Iowa(15"{381mm})
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 02, 2004, 11:44 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Umi:

that is fantastic WORK, on both of them.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Dec 03, 2004, 12:24 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
Thanks Umi_Ryuzuki

As I said before, this is the family for me. I could hear clearly the kind words from all of you.

I will not let go my dream. I will get the plan, and I will make the ship. Some day not far away I will show you all here my model ships.

Douglas