SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2004, 08:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
22 Posts
how do I test the amp draw on my lipo batt

can anyone help me out with this I dont know how to test this, do I need a special hobby wattmeter or can I use a volt meter, please please help me I need to know,
jim florentine is offline Find More Posts by jim florentine
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:08 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Batteries don't draw current, they supply it, so it's not clear what you want to test. If you want to test the current draw of a model's power system then you should use a meter like the ones from AstroFlight. If you want to know how much current your battery can safely supply, you'll need to find out what the manufacturer recommends.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:10 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
i have used an astro whatt meter and now use this one by RC Electronics.

don't fly without knowing the current you're drawing from your packs. especially if it is a lipo pack.

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:13 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
I believe your best bet would be to get a Wattmeter from AstroFlight. This device will give you amps, volts, and watts, all in one easy to read display. You definitely need to know the amp draw on our LiPo pack(s) in addition to the amp draw thru your speed control (ESC). There will be a definite "specific energy" or watts value that provides the best performance to the plane, based on the battery, motor, prop. I consider the Wattmeter to be one of the most important measuring devices for my electric fleet. A mulit-meter could be used, you would have to first measure voltage, then amperage, then multiply these values to arrive at watts. It would be much more convenient to use the Wattmeter. This device is marketed thru most R/C vendors, including AstroFlight.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:51 PM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
also, lipos aren't really something you want to 'test' the current draw of, as once you hit the limit the pack is done... it lets you know by heat & swelling, &/or a very reduced lifespan.
rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:22 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Mar 2004
301 Posts
Do any of these do any data logging other than peak and minimum readings?

I'd like something that logs all current and voltage data for an entire flight. Anything like that out there?

John
14U2NV is offline Find More Posts by 14U2NV
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:31 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
John - If you want in-flight logging, take a look at:
http://eagletreesystems.com/
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:38 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
I used a 30 amp shunt meter ( $1 surplus) to monitor current from a battery pack, just have to wire the battery adaptor connectors with short 14 gauge wire
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo