HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2004, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2004
10 Posts
Warped wing

Need some input on straighting wing. While repairing the RH wing I came up with up with a warp or twist. Eveything was o.k. till I put the last piece of sheeting accrossed the front leading edge, pow the warp or twist. The wing has not been covered at this point. This is for my T-34 and has a lot of sheeting and not much open area. Could I spray with hot water and clamp till dry or should I use some other method? Trailing edge is about a 1/4" lower at the tip end and it takes some good pressure to twist it back holding on to the ends and twisting.

Thanks , Jim
Lemjim is offline Find More Posts by Lemjim
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2004, 08:06 PM
Springfield, IL
Joined Jun 2004
168 Posts
Just a heat gun and a helper should solve this. might be pretty hard to twist out the warp

how far is it outa wack ?
Shroomer is offline Find More Posts by Shroomer
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:54 PM
USA, OR, Albany
Joined Sep 2004
153 Posts
Yes, I had the same problem with a bi-plane wing I built. I read somewhere to spray a water-ammonia mixture (not sure what the ammonia was for. Plain water would probably work too.) and then twist it in the opposite direction, and hold it in place with weights/clamps, and let dry overnight.

You will need to be able to twist it the same amount in the opposite direction (over twist) so that when it springs back, it comes out where you want it. After you have sprayed it down, it will be able to flex more than it can dry. If you over do it, or it needs more, just do it again. I ended up having to do mine 2 or 3 times before it was right.
RC-Addict is offline Find More Posts by RC-Addict
Old Nov 29, 2004, 05:55 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
The ammonia is supposed to soften the balsa wood better than plain water. Over twist in the opposite direction and let dry that way. It should spring back a little bit. You will want to get this right before covering the wing.
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Dec 10, 2004, 10:33 AM
Joined Sep 2004
10 Posts
Well I tried the water treatment twice and it took some out but not all, so I went ahead and covered it then put some opposite twist in, then took my new heat gun and sucked out the wrinkles and WaLa now straight. Thanks for the input on this rebuild.

Jim
Lemjim is offline Find More Posts by Lemjim
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:50 PM
Springfield, IL
Joined Jun 2004
168 Posts
glad to hear the heat gun worked man.... can we get pics of the finished model ? and maybe some in flight ?
Shroomer is offline Find More Posts by Shroomer