SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2004, 02:55 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Cul De Sac Flyer Owners

I know there have been many more builds of my Cul de Sac Flyer than have posted in the ongoing thread. I would like to hear of your experiance with the plane and any problems encountered with trying to get it flying. I realize the plans I have made available are very basic but figured most builders would have little trouble building the plane and since questions on the build and flying setup are answered promply it should be a no brainer. Anyway lets hear from you that have built it and couldn't get it to fly or are happy with the plane! Thanks. I didn't kit it as it's such a simple plane.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
PS:I have also considered doing a Bipe and Triplane version if there is enough interest.
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Last edited by boomerace; Nov 28, 2004 at 02:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2004, 03:36 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
992 Posts
Ok, I'll be the first one. I just built mine last week and it already has more than 10 flights on it. For me it was a fairly simple build, but I ran into a couple of snags. The only thing I still don't understand is how to use that wing angle jig, no matter how I placed it just didn't make sense to me. I'm sure it's a no brainer-but it would be awesome to have a pic showing exactly how the jig is placed against the LE to get the right angle. I just went TLAR on it and ended with just about 3" of dihedral on each wing tip.
As far as flight performance; the maiden went with out one problem. It rog'd on the first try and flew wonderfully- went through a whole battery on the first flight. It took only a click of right rudder and it was doing circles around the frontyard. The most graceful thing I have ever seen in the sky! I keep mine in the back of my van always ready to fly whenever I want.
Thanks boomerace for a wonderful plane. I would DEFINITELY build the bipe if you design it (please).
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
Old Nov 28, 2004, 03:48 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Weather man,
The jig is used against the end ribs to set the angle of the ribs so when the wing halves are joined the dihedral is set.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:39 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
Boomer
If you do a Bi or tri I'll build either or both. I fly these little Cul De Sac types of planes right in front of my house when there's no wind and I'm sure my neighbors would love to see something new. I haven't added a new small/indoor plane to my fleet in over a year, so it's time.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:00 PM
Lexington, South Carolina
Joined Oct 2001
514 Posts
Boomer,
I got tied up over the weekend , so I didn't get to finishe mine. I had to get some time in the air flying the full scale real thing. I would love to have a Cul De Sac sized semi scale or even scaled Bi plane. Thanks for the plans. I'll post an update once I maiden.

Steven
Steven9026 is offline Find More Posts by Steven9026
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:03 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
992 Posts
So, I guess no bipe? I fly my culdesac flyer every evening after work. I wish I had a bipe though.
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:09 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weather_man
So, I guess no bipe? I fly my culdesac flyer every evening after work. I wish I had a bipe though.
I just started working on the triplane design. You guys rather have a bipe??
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Dec 07, 2004, 02:46 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
992 Posts
Hey Boomerace

Personally, I would like a bipe. I don't know about the rest of the guys.

Check out how I have been flying my culdesac flyer at night. I found these lights at the local store here on base. It's a small light that blinks red and green when it detects motion. Fortunately the LPS motor generates just enough motion to cause to it to start blinking- I'll see if I can get some video. This plane now has over 20 hours of flight already.
Old Dec 07, 2004, 04:21 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
I've got plenty of bi planes so a tri would be my first choice, but another bi plane would be OK.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Dec 07, 2004, 04:41 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
OK what I will do is get the Bipe flying (hopefully) first and then completing the Triplane won't take long after that.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Dec 07, 2004, 07:35 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Posted Printable plans for Cul De Sac flyer on website today. Just size to the dimensions on the plan and print and use. If they print out a fraction off it won't affect the plane.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Dec 07, 2004, 08:00 PM
Newcastle NSW
Joined May 2004
438 Posts
Interested

Hello,

I have been hovering around looking at all the posts about this little gem. Im very interested in getting one built. I also have a newbie mate that would probably give it a go as well. Im looking for something that will fly slowly, give me reasonable flight times and in a small place, mainly for indoor stuff.

Cheap and simple is what im looking for.

The template for the centre rib and the wing ribs, is is best cut from the pic that you have on your website?

Ace
highace1 is offline Find More Posts by highace1
Old Dec 07, 2004, 08:31 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highace1
Hello,

I have been hovering around looking at all the posts about this little gem. Im very interested in getting one built. I also have a newbie mate that would probably give it a go as well. Im looking for something that will fly slowly, give me reasonable flight times and in a small place, mainly for indoor stuff.

Cheap and simple is what im looking for.

The template for the centre rib and the wing ribs, is is best cut from the pic that you have on your website?

Ace
Yes just expand it to 6" long and for the center ribs do not cut the bottom in an arch but just go straight across from LE of rib to TE of rib on the rib bottom.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Dec 07, 2004, 08:33 PM
Newcastle NSW
Joined May 2004
438 Posts
Cool, thanks for that.
highace1 is offline Find More Posts by highace1
Old Dec 07, 2004, 08:43 PM
Been There! Done That!