HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2004, 09:26 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
80" Dynamic Build Thread

This plane is appropriately named the Dynamic. It is my own design and this is the first of hopefully many if it flies well. I have more pics and time tomorrow or late tonight but i thought I would get the ball rolling. There is a lot to share and Ill keep posting as often as I can. joe
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Last edited by Mark Wood; Dec 05, 2004 at 06:01 PM. Reason: name change (again) :D
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:28 PM
Retired Slope Racer
SoCal
Joined May 2003
2,540 Posts
Cool looking fuse, is that carbon, or a polished male fuse plug?
nwoods is offline Find More Posts by nwoods
Old Nov 28, 2004, 01:00 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
The fuse is a plug. I still have a ton of work before its finished but with the winter weather I needed to get it sealed before it warped. Its simply a 4x4 that was turned on a lathe. Its nice and fat for a couple of reasons,one, the wing will have a wider area to be mounted to, and two, It has plenty of room for ballast and high torque servos and a good sized battery. the wing will be mounted slightly above or right at the mid point. joe
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:28 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
a few more pics

first lesson learned. dont use black sealer if I need to draw lines. joe
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:31 PM
So-Cal
Joined Apr 2004
539 Posts
That tapered wing planform works real well in ds from what i've seen.. Is it still a ds specific model? Just wondering cuz the thread got moved.
Really cool
Can't wait to see how it progresses

Ryan
d.s.stunner is offline Find More Posts by d.s.stunner
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:38 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Well as you know. I am designing it around ds but Im sure it will rip up the frontside as well. Actually, Ill be launching it from the front of the slope, Is that vague enough? just a joke, I thought it would be more usefull in the slope forum so when I moved it I was told I cant say it is specifically a ds plane.And I still havent. joe
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:46 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,889 Posts
Hmmm.. a wood lathe you say? That is a great idea! I'm really looking forward to this. Awesome work so far! At the speeds you will be working with you really don't have to point the nose down at all- good thinking.

What section you working with?

Cody
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:23 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
I put the incidence line at that angle so the horizontal stab will be out of the wash. I want to mount it right on top of the fuse. just keeping it simple. Its a lot of work to mount it up on the vertical stab.I also think it will look cool with a nose down attitude when flying by.I threw around my favorite f5b airfoils and came up with a happy medium. It should be smokin fast! joe
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:39 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
you have my intrest peaked....

would love to see a new DS plane out there... something smoking fast would be great!

goodluck

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:46 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,240 Posts
Looks pretty good Joe. My first concern is the tail boom, from the pics it looks kinda skinny. You want a nice beefy tail boom on a DS plane. When pulling 30Gs in a DS groove there is a lot of load on the tail. This load often causes the tail booms on the weaker planes to flex. This can lead to control issues or even a crash. Make the tail boom as big as practical!

Brian
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:55 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
one piece wing

I had the dihedral cut into the cores so I can do the layup in one piece on a flat sufrace. heres the root and tip. joe
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:58 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
tflg, do you mean the tail area is too small or the surfaces are too thin? Im going to use a lot of carbon on them as well, please explain.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:13 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,062 Posts
He's talking about the boom...tail section (rear of the fuse) should be a larger diameter I believe. Nice work Joe.
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:31 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
Joe I think its a sweet looking machine but as tlfg says the tail boom is a tad thin for DSing but maybe you could do 2 version 1 front side 1 darkside maybe just another plug
of the tailboom which could be secondary bonded to the forward fuse. It could have a larger dia thinking a little forward of this you could have a screw in tail boom. So one fuse could be used for both sides of the hill .Sorry Joe got a little carried away there for a moment like I said it looks sweet .I am being more and more tempted to build wing that attaches to a fuse again
Cheers
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Nov 29, 2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:34 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
dynamic

oh, you mean the boom! I guess it is pretty small, although it is a pretty fast taper, maybe ill just do extra heavy layups with a good amount of carbon back there, If not Ill have to start over on the fuse. just guessing its probably 7/8" dia. your thoughts? joe