HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:35 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Thinking about a different motor again. The 400 is nicer than the stock 380, but still kinda slow.

I have seen where some people in this thread have used 'outrunner' motors. How do you attach an outrunner to this plane? The can on the stock rubberbands to the wing.

Maybe some of you could post your actual flying upgrades: ie...
Motor used
Gear if any
ESC
Battery
Weight
Flight times
Any accessories (ie camera, mouse, etc)

I am wanting maybe a brushless can set up Direct Drive, but keep all 4 of the 8 cell NiMH/NiCd packs I already have

Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:29 AM
Canandaigua, NY
Joined Sep 2004
149 Posts
this plane is not meant to be fast. it's a slow flyer. too fast will kill it in no time. the outrunner in the pic on my previous post is one I made from an old computer tape drive. it's just like a large cd rom motor. all I did was make a balsa mount that would hold the motor and rubberband onto the wing like the original motor did. it runs on the original 8 cells. that's no problem. if your interested in making a motor, www.gobrushless.com has kits that would work great. a GBX double kit from them would be perfect.
juki48 is offline Find More Posts by juki48
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:09 PM
Never enough time to Fly
Maine
Joined Nov 2004
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juki48
this plane is not meant to be fast. it's a slow flyer. too fast will kill it in no time. the outrunner in the pic on my previous post is one I made from an old computer tape drive. it's just like a large cd rom motor. all I did was make a balsa mount that would hold the motor and rubberband onto the wing like the original motor did. it runs on the original 8 cells. that's no problem. if your interested in making a motor, www.gobrushless.com has kits that would work great. a GBX double kit from them would be perfect.
So what are you using for a speed control for this setup? I have already gone lipo for the battery but am sure the original motor will not last too long. I try to keep the throttle no more than 3/4.
Zeek
TheZeek is offline Find More Posts by TheZeek
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:20 AM
Canandaigua, NY
Joined Sep 2004
149 Posts
I'm using a castle creations pheonix 25. that's the downside to brushless. the esc's are expensive. but, cheap ones are starting to show up for about $40. I think I'll stick with castle creations though. IMHO they are the best.
juki48 is offline Find More Posts by juki48
Old Sep 11, 2005, 05:23 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
New Twist

Well it's been a while since I last updated my flying exploits with the SoarStar. I have been flying it, peeking around the tops of trees looking for thermals and what have you this summer.

But this past week I have been feverishly working on perfecting my latest accessory - Floats

Yes that's right, now I can fly right out my back door and land in the lake. My back yard is very small, but my lake is just the right size.

The Video is of Flight 1

I took 4 flights today and actually got thermal action on flights 3 & 4 over the trees that you will see in the video as I make the final turn for approach.

On flight 3 I came in to high and did not have enough power to go around again and hit the cypress tree on the far north end right of my dock. You will see the tree as I taxi back in from fight #1. The plane clipped the moss and tumbled back into the water nose first, but everything is in bags and so no harm done - except a broke a wing tip off.

Well here is the video

The SoarStar on Floats

Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Last edited by mrm1; Dec 23, 2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 05:48 PM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Cool video Mike! Your daughter did a good job. I think the bird tried to poop on your plane!

John
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:22 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Jan 2010
66 Posts
User Guide Plz

Hey, is there any way you can upload the instructions?

I recently purchased a soar star, and mine didnt come with instructions.
thanks!
Angeljesus1mtz is offline Find More Posts by Angeljesus1mtz