HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2004, 07:08 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Suggesting a soarstar for a beginner may not be the best idea.. There is the infamous "wingo tuck" issue and also that foam tends to crumble on impact.. EPP would be far better for a first timer... Many wingos and soarstars have been reduced to piles of crumbles after the first and only flight..
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2004, 12:23 AM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Hi Ron

Welcome!

How are you getting 30 min on a 1700 NMH? Is that with a lot of power off time? I flew today in a very still moring. the baseball field where I was is surrounded by large oaks. the actual field is about 2 to 2.5 x's larger than a baseball field.

I had to hand launch and then had to do several passes around the field (like 2) before I could get high enough to clear the trees.

Is that because I had no wind and thus no "wind lift". I flew last weekend in slightly stiff wind (around 6-8) and it seemed to go up much faster. May have been an optical illustion of the much larger field, I dont know. But I actually thought something was wrong with the plane today it went up so slow.

My flight times where much shorter too on the base ball field with no wind. But I had to run WOT for much longer to get above the trees.

????
Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:15 AM
Lake Isabella
Joined Oct 2004
8 Posts
Mike...You are right, there is quite a bit of throttle down or off time. I have 2 mih batteries and 2 nicads...I have the geared 400 motor and my Soarstar climbs pretty fast. We have a big field up here and little traffic, so I can make a lot of low passes. Even some hard fought acrobatics. Loops, stalls, but no barrel rolls...I just completed building and Saturday flew my new Tribute and with the fun and ease of flying it, I may not be spending as much time with the Soarstar, as I learn 3 D flying...Having fun is the name of the game....Ron
Ron Worth is offline Find More Posts by Ron Worth
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:38 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
I have been cycling the batteries all week trying to teak them as much as possible. RS still have the 8 cell 1600 Mih on sale last monday for 14.95. That is a good deal. The other one I have gave me good flight times.

Hope to get some air time tomorrow with either the SoarStar of the Mach I. still in the build process with the Fun World EP - 3D plane.

check out my other builds:

SuperStar EP
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290580

Mach I
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=27&pp=15
(my contribution to this thread & Mach I build starts on page 27)

Fun World EP
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307909
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:23 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Does anyone know what the geared 380 (or 400 - whatever it is) motor that came stock with the SoarStar is? Or what brand motor it is close too? I want to run the numbers in MotoCalc on this model, but have no idea which motor would most closely match this motor in weight/volts/resist/etc.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:41 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
600 NiCD 11.8amps at start / falls to about 10
1000 NiCD 10.8 falls to about 8.8amps after 2 minutes
1600 NiMH 10.8 falls to about 8.6 after 2 minutes

These were all tested in the plane on my table at WOT and each was fresh off the triton.
Mike
I posted this on Dec 2nd and since then, on the last 2 flight sessions with this model I have noticed a falling off of engine RPM. My climb outs were seeming slow. At first I thought it was the illusion of the smaller field, But last night I did an amp test with each battery and the amp draw was down about 1.5 to 2 amps. I lightly oiled the motor and this picked it up to near where it was when it was new...

...BUT what is going on Was oiling the motor the norm, or was that just a quick fix to a larger problem that is yet to reveal itself. I am considering going to the Great Planes 400 motor and gear box to get better performance, but maybe that is too soon. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:09 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Does any one have a suggestion on a replacement motor for this plane? I would like to keep the stock ESC and continue to use the varous batteries I have from 600 mah to 1600 mah, but up the motor set up.

Any Ideas guys?

Mike
Old Dec 27, 2004, 01:04 PM
Never enough time to Fly
Maine
Joined Nov 2004
187 Posts
Has anyone used an "A" cell sized nicad pack for the soarstar. I built one with 1000mah 'A' cells and it seems to have much longer run times on the ground than the standard 600 mah nicad that came with it. I have yet to fly with the pack as it is snowing and windy out. The 'A' size pack is a bit bigger and heavier than the stock pack. Any comments? Thanks Zeek
TheZeek is offline Find More Posts by TheZeek
Old Dec 27, 2004, 01:06 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZeek
Has anyone used an "A" cell sized nicad pack for the soarstar. I built one with 1000mah 'A' cells and it seems to have much longer run times on the ground than the standard 600 mah nicad that came with it. I have yet to fly with the pack as it is snowing and windy out. The 'A' size pack is a bit bigger and heavier than the stock pack. Any comments? Thanks Zeek
I flew my wingo with 1700 aup cells size down from your A sized cells. I think you will be ok....
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:26 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
I would think that you could get a 400 and mount it right into the gearbox that you're using now. My old Soarstar used a geared 400 and that was more than enough power even using heavy packs like the RS 1600s.

Speed 400s are cheap. You should also try oiling the gearbox, that might be the cause of the reduced RPMs
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:32 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
thanks, will give that a shot. The current motor is a 380.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 04:58 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Suggesting a soarstar for a beginner may not be the best idea.. There is the infamous "wingo tuck" issue and also that foam tends to crumble on impact.. EPP would be far better for a first timer... Many wingos and soarstars have been reduced to piles of crumbles after the first and only flight..
You got that right, look closely at what my replacement nose looks like :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4&page=1&pp=15
HIGHFLYER99 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHFLYER99
Old Jan 05, 2005, 04:38 PM
Foam Rules..!!
Whiting, NJ 08759
Joined Jan 2004
34 Posts
mrm1,
Nice plane, nice flying field.!! I'm a new Easy Star owner/flyer with
about as much flying experience as you, and I think the neat foamie
planes are a newbie's dream. The EasyStar is soooo forgiving and flies
beautifly, like a sweet glider/plane should. (Wingo, SoarStar, Easy Star, Etc)
Have fun. Electric RC rules...!!!
Tbass WM2M
tbass is offline Find More Posts by tbass
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:08 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
I wonder If I could mount my "boat anchor" T-600 motor in this plane that came out of my SuperStar EP stock set up. if is heavieish, but would give me plenty of power as a direct drive.

Mike
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:02 AM
Canandaigua, NY
Joined Sep 2004
149 Posts
my first plane was a soarstar. crashed in once. fixed it and was flying the next day. love it! I still fly it more than any of my other planes. I'm almost done with a brushless tape drive motor for it. should be super quiet with that! I currently run the stock motor and a kan 1/3A 1050 pack. great flight times in low wind. that plane will almost hover! I'm sure it will with the brushless. I also maxed out the throws and it rolls and loops like there's no tomorrow. too bad the plane isn't designed for that. still a ton a fun!
juki48 is offline Find More Posts by juki48