Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 26, 2002, 01:31 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,167 Posts
Sloping in the Tri-State Area ???

OK......Torrey Pines put the bug in me BigTime

I need everyone's help to find the BESTEST, Zoombatic slope site within 150 miles of NYC. Bigggggg slope, not some sand dune. I live on Long Island.....so the closer the better.

Ask your friends, clubmates, whomever.....Im sure its out there but i dont know where.

I need a slope Fix !!!!

Alan W (Will fly F5B/Hotliners this weekend as a short-term fix )
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2002, 01:53 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,514 Posts
Chickies Rock in Columbia, PA.
Big lift. Tough terrain if your plane goes down.
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
Old Feb 26, 2002, 02:11 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,167 Posts
Thanks for the info !!

Mapquest sez:

Total Distance: 221.75 miles Total Estimated Time: 4 hours, 28 minutes

A bit far.....but not un-doable.

Then again......for not much more in gas, tolls anf time i could be back on JetBlue heading for Torrey Pines again
Alan W
Old Feb 26, 2002, 02:12 PM
West Sunbury Pa
Joined Jan 2002
52 Posts
Doc ,
Do you know of any site in Western Pa? Preferably North of Pittsburgh? Got a couple of ships in need of re-trimming,and would prefer a slope to a winch for that .
All the best, John
John McCloskey is offline Find More Posts by John McCloskey
Old Feb 26, 2002, 02:31 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,514 Posts
Don't know of anything in Western PA. We've got a hill at my club field in WestChester (north of Phila). Not a great site, but, it's good for a slope fix when the wind is right.
Last edited by docphi; Feb 26, 2002 at 05:10 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 08:21 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
No Torrey Pines in the East...

But, there are a few that are good for this side of the country. There are a few in Upstate NY, the most comun ones are in the Cape in Mass.

Here is a list of all the Cape Sites: http://www.charlesriverrc.org/fields_capecodslopes.htm

and here is a list of other sites as well
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/fields_otherslopes.htm

For upstate NY you should contact Dave Garwood.

And I hear there is a nice slope in RI...

But there is nothing like Torrey Pines on the East Cost

Jeb
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Feb 27, 2002, 09:09 AM
Idaho
Joined Oct 2001
261 Posts
Ok I've got the simplest solution for you. Move to California. Just live very close to Torrey Pines.

And there ya have it. Slope anytime you want.
JayParke is offline Find More Posts by JayParke
Old Feb 27, 2002, 09:55 AM
iankraus.com/rcvideo
Joined Jun 2001
450 Posts
I am keen to try DS'ing off the side of hunter mountain this summer. I have also heard that there some sites on long island.
There must be some cool slopes in the catskills??

Alan W- where in NY do you live.
I have a couple of flying buddies here in brooklyn that are very keen to explore local slope sites. If you want to join us in our hill hunt sometime shoot me an email

I have heard that the palisades by George washington bridge is slopeable.

I have attached a pic of our latest sloper (also converts to epower). This little beast is super fast. The white prototype shown is 40" span and 8 ounces rtf.
epp le and takes up to twice its weight in balast
The colorful prototype is 48" and will use a geared rocket 400 on one and a aveox 27/39/1y on the other

iankraus is offline Find More Posts by iankraus
Last edited by iankraus; Feb 27, 2002 at 10:01 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 11:16 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,510 Posts
Hey that looks like a Bluto!!

We've been discussing the likelyhood of using ski slopes for sloping and they sound promising.

The palisades off the GWB have tempted me. (I grew up in Fort Lee) but you have that bridge to deal with as well as highetened security.

Maybe up north by the Bear Mountain Bridge (sister bridge to the GWB) or the palisades off of West Point.
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Feb 27, 2002, 12:52 PM
MSB
Brooklyn, NYC
Joined Nov 2001
210 Posts
Hey Dr. E!

I'm the guy with the Zagi you helped trim at the Fly-In. The
Zagi's gone, but we've been building planes over here in Brookyn!
We'll have to get together one of these days.

BTW, I think a slope Fly-In at one of the ski areas would be way
cool. Nobody uses the slopes in the summer, anyway...

- Mark
MSB is offline Find More Posts by MSB
Old Feb 27, 2002, 01:22 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,167 Posts
I live on Long Island in the Northport area. I've found a slope 5 minutes from me at a private beach called Callihans Beach and in fact i flew there on Sunday !! nice 100-125' bluff straight down

Problem is - It faces North/Northeast and winds are usually West/Northwest. Sunday it was blowing straight in but only at about 5mph - enough for me to "surf" my Orion-Winged Terry. The LZ is the parking lot.....not very forgiving. Of course I'm flying without permission and expect to get 'cuffed or scoffed at everytime Im there - that and it will be offlimits during the summer months.

Move to Torrey Pines ?? Why.....i told my Wife when we were out at MWE that if i win the 187million Powerball....Im BUYING Torrey Pines !! Unfortunately i only won $10 - enough to cover another days flight pass

I've spent ALOT of time in the Catskills and there are numerous places i can think of.....most notably along the slopes of the Deleware river. Ski slopes are also a good possibility.......isnt there one AT bear mountain ??

Then there's Ellenville/Middletown where they Hang glide and full scale soar. Im SURE there's some usable space around there.....

Further away is New Paltz - i used to Rock climb there (in a previous life) and remember many spectacular cliffs

I've got a friend who just bought a Piper Dakota that should be here in about a month - All we have to do is pay for gas and he'd take us up hunting from a birds' eye view !!

Lets keep the Info flowing !!!

Alan W
Old Feb 27, 2002, 04:49 PM
iankraus.com/rcvideo
Joined Jun 2001
450 Posts
Quote:
dr.E
Hey that looks like a Bluto!!
Hi dr.E,
may look a little like it but the similarilty ends there. It is an update/improvement on a slope plane called the Apocalype (if i spelt that correctly). That we all used to fly at the north sydney bowls. We have been flying those for over 10 years with that shape. The wing has 3 different airfoil sections designed to control and shape the seperation point of the airflow over the rear of the wing. The airfoil is very thin. The unbalasted weight is also superlight

Hope we can all meet up in spring for some fun sloping
iankraus is offline Find More Posts by iankraus
Old Feb 27, 2002, 09:55 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
http://www.slopeflyer.com/html/pennsylvania.html

At least one site here...

If anyone knows of decent slope soaring in Rhode Island give a holler. I live in Connecticut and there is *nothing* except Lighthouse Point in New Haven and it is crappy with crappy LZ (and cold too!).

Rhode Island, perhaps even Block Island, looks promising if there is an onshore breeze.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old May 13, 2003, 11:21 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,514 Posts
Here's some SE PA slopes.

http://www.bethpage.net/9602/SJSF/slope.htm

Unfortunately, it's not updated - "The Meadow" and "Doe Run" have been developed upon. The last time I was at Blue Marsh Lake, there was a sign posted stating no model aircraft flying.

The other sites are flyable. There's actually a full scale glider port down below Twin Valley High School. My RC club is based at the Embreville slope. It's shaped odd and the lift is fifty feet up above the top of the slope.

How did I find that out? A couple of summers ago I saw a guy sloping there (who happened to live in France and was in the area visiting family) and I asked him about the lift. I've been sloping there ever since! You might be able to see a little bit of the slope in my flight videos at www.docphi.com
Old May 29, 2004, 05:12 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,050 Posts
Let's revive this old thread.

Anyone have a slope site on LI or in the NYC area that doesn't require a north wind?

Have wing, will travel an hour or two for lift.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr