SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2004, 02:26 PM
wintergarden-orlando florida/brighton england
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
my first bit plane build (ideas welcome)

well got the gear box done last knight with the help of everey one and ive just cut some thin foam to do the wing.has any one got a good wing plan form that works well and what sort of span should i use.i was thinking 20" poleyhedral??? any sugestions would be great il probably go with this if i dont here anything better in a few minits cos im impatient.
charlieuk is offline Find More Posts by charlieuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2004, 03:27 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Off the top of my head,,, 20 inch poly, 4-5 inch chord, horizontal stab %20 of wing area and 6 inch back, rudder at %8 wing area. Won't be to all fire of a stunt plane but should be a good enough test bed to get the feel for things. Then go smaller lighter from there. Best of luck
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Nov 25, 2004, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
ill post a pic in a short while of what ive come up with.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
heres what i came up with. just hopeing it will work! its lighter than what it looks
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:58 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Fine, fine, just fine. What kind of radio equip is going into it?
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:09 PM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
eather of these two the one on the left is a turbo chariot and the one on the left was a little misubishi evo.i would like to save the chariot for somthing else maybe and use the outher one for this.i was thinking of using the motor for the rudder.it used to run on one nimh cell so was thinking of geting a 145 lipo for it?coments
Old Nov 26, 2004, 04:55 PM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
just made the wing mount. i made it have ajustable insidence and also able to slide back and forth so i can play with CoG without changeing anything.yes it may be big and hevey but its just a starting point for me to work on hopefully and its only cost me the price of the car and scrap stuf i had lying around.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 05:38 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Looks OK to me.

Sand the wings so they get thinner to the TE, it will look better, weigh less and might even fly better.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Nov 26, 2004, 05:41 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Oh and to answer the question in the first picture....

Yes you need at least one.
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Nov 26, 2004, 05:55 PM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
i have sanded the wing i the last picture you just might not be able to see it.im just trying to figer how to do the rudder now.i want to use the small motor as i havent got the no how to do an actuator any sugestion. i ges il try and get a 145 lipo from some where the or maybe two while im at it.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
couldnt wait any longer so it test glided it and its spot on.glided stright and level on to my bed so a nice soft landing.not bad for first atempt.sweet
Old Nov 26, 2004, 07:52 PM
Fairfax Station, VA
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
Charlieuk,
I really like the way you have set up the wing to be able to adjust incidence and CG. All this will be very important after you mount the radio, battery, and actuator. I usually try to set CG back from the leading edge about 1/3 of the width of the wing. For example, if wing is 4.5 inches wide, set CG at 1.5 inches back from the leading edge of the wing. You maight already have it close to true if the test glide was right.
Happy landings!
Al
alh747 is offline Find More Posts by alh747
Old Nov 27, 2004, 02:31 AM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
the wing mount worked well however it all could be done with being made lighter.i fly a lot of large models so i new how important CoG and insidence was so as a first micro i wanted it to be ajustable.
the next problem is the prop,could any one sugest a size to start with?im hoping to try and make a carbon one today then the only thing i need is a batterey and itl be flying hopefuly but its anoying cos theres no wind to day outside and perfect conditions.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 04:17 AM
Joined May 2004
373 Posts
why most of peoples do a breaking on the wings and send it to the above?see the ends of wings at the pic.
mohammad_sa39 is offline Find More Posts by mohammad_sa39
Old Nov 27, 2004, 04:35 AM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
its called polyhedral. it gives the plane more stabilitey and it hepls it level its self out.