HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:03 AM
guillows basher!!
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Feb 2004
957 Posts
Mini-nano F-16 Edf-40

hi,here's my attempt at going really small with the edf-40,with reply's spattered on other threads decided to start my own,first let me say that the inspiration from devmonkey's nano bandit,and mr. morris's small ducting really got me going on this project a little history about the donor airframes too start. after exsperimenting with the small guillows build-n-shows they prove to be very stable aerodynamicly,i have over 50 flights with 3 differant motors on the lil f-15,started out with a plain old ips from a tm too a feigao too a cdr that was a little to much for the airframe,all where pusher configuration with a 3x3 prop,heres some pics(back after breakfast)
esb-help is offline Find More Posts by esb-help
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:43 AM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
957 Posts
all righty then,now for the new candidate,the f-16,started out by lightning everything possible(originaly was going to be pusher) then substituted all balsa stringers with .030 cf stringers,unbelievably strong!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:54 AM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
957 Posts
after applying all stringers,then went in with dremel and hogged out all the material for the fan unit and ducting,this way the structure retains it shape,also found that the wall thickness of the edf40 would of had me at its limits as far as how much material i would of had to lose,so built my own using toilet paper roll
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:57 AM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
957 Posts
more pics
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:00 AM
Coquitlam BC
Joined Jan 2003
536 Posts
droooool !! If this works I am running to the hobby shop to get one !!! Keep us posted!!
Huckebein is offline Find More Posts by Huckebein
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:27 AM
Joined Sep 2004
97 Posts
Very Cool!

Could you describe how you setup the reliable taileron controls on these small jets?

What are you planning to use for ducting the F16?
straightup is offline Find More Posts by straightup
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:46 AM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
957 Posts
will use printing paper for duct,here's the trial fitting of the rear duct,the only problem on this end is the biggest i can get at the rear is 33mm,with a drop to 30mm with the cone on
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:02 PM
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Looks great. What is the wingspan and projected AUW? I'm also interested in the one using the CDROM pusher w/ 3x3 prop. What wind did you use?
stjobs is offline Find More Posts by stjobs
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:07 PM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
957 Posts
tailerons are really easy,first let me say that i like full flying stab tailerons opposed to ele. type tailerons,reason being is you get more control at slow speed with less throw needed at full speed,mostly on hand launch,just my opinion thou.all that consist of the tailerons is a alum. bushing in the fuse with a mated rod on the surface,in my case cf rod
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:15 PM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjobs
Looks great. What is the wingspan and projected AUW? I'm also interested in the one using the CDROM pusher w/ 3x3 prop. What wind did you use?
12in. ws 18 1/2 long, feigao bl edf40 with a 3s1p 11.1 kokam 340(light weight) or 3s1p appogee 1050(a little heavier)projected auw 5oz. or lighter the f-15 with feigao and the3s1p kokam pack came in at 4 1/8oz. probably did 50+ with the feigao,and was clocked at 64mph with the cdr motor as far as the cdr,i had it custom made last year,i have since contacted the supplier and he never wrote anything down and can'nt remember a thing here's a closeup pic if it helps
Last edited by esb-help; Nov 25, 2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:20 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
Looks very cool indeed!
Don't ya think the wingloading is a bit high for this size plane?

Dave
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:24 PM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
Looks very cool indeed!
Don't ya think the wingloading is a bit high for this size plane?

Dave
at5oz.auw who knows,but thats what makes this so fun,when i did the f-15 first i never gave it a prayer,but at almost 50 flights later i proved my self wrong with the advent of the lith batts and small bl motors i'd never doubt again
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:27 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
how many amps you got on a lipoly pack?
it's surely a f**king sexy plane at that size!
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:50 PM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
how many amps you got on a lipoly pack?
it's surely a f**king sexy plane at that size!
unable to do any amp/watt measurements at this time(lended out my astro meter to a friend who has now departed for hunting for 2 weeks d@#&khead) but a conservative guess,and i could be wrong is i'm pulling around 6 1/2 amps at intial throttle up and smoothing out at around 5,but thats all a guess at this point! heres a pic with wings attached,and next to coffee cup for size referance
Old Nov 25, 2004, 02:03 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,563 Posts
I would not sweat that opening on the exhaust being that small, it should be ok being that the thrust will be int he 4-5oz range. The smaller outlet just improves the efflux velocity, so with the 38mm outlet you might be flying arround at 45mph, with a 30mm outlet it could be arround 60mph but the acceleration will be a little slower.

Cheers,

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX