HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:05 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Another Tiger Moth flyer on board

Hi gang!

I'm happy to announce that I've ordered a GWS Tiger Moth... after reading about it on here, I'm dying for it to arrive. Quick question though... I have a 6 cell 110mah pack left over from my Wattage B-2 disappointment and I'm wondering if that will fly the moth or if I shouldn't even bother with that and get a 300 nimh. Thanks!

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:21 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Dreamer, welcome aboard. The 110 will only give you about 4 to 5 minutes flying time. I'd recommend the 7 cell 300mah NiMH packs for about 15 minutes per pack. For some of them the battery compartment has to be widened a little.

The best sources are:
www.toddsmodels.com
www.radicalrc.com
www.rcguy.com

Best of luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:58 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,146 Posts
Re: Another Tiger Moth flyer on board

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
Hi gang!

I'm happy to announce that I've ordered a GWS Tiger Moth... after reading about it on here, I'm dying for it to arrive. Quick question though... I have a 6 cell 110mah pack left over from my Wattage B-2 disappointment and I'm wondering if that will fly the moth or if I shouldn't even bother with that and get a 300 nimh. Thanks!

Martin

Yick... I think even the 150 nicads are a waste of time. I'm real happy with 300nimh, and just got a fistfull of qualcoms to try out... You really can't beat that deal...
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Feb 26, 2002, 02:59 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
spinnetti, is that the collection from the "Qualcomm batteries for dummies" post a while back? I'm a little hesitant to send cash to someone I don't know, but am having a difficult time sourcing the batteries up here (Canada)
Old Feb 26, 2002, 03:19 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
You really ought to try out the Qualcomm 830's They work really well with the Tiger Moth and provide very good duration.
Marks a class act guy who responds promptly to orders.
I haven't heard of anyone who has had a problem with recieving orders from him.I'm unsure of what the price for the Batteries is now as I have had mine for quite some time.
Qualcomm's equal big bang for the buck.

mailto:mark@hackettelec.com
RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
Old Feb 26, 2002, 03:43 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I recommend the 7 cell 300 mah Nimh pack. It's a perfect match for the TM (and other GWS planes). The lithium packs are good, but they lack the oomph of a nicad or nimh pack. Frankly, I get tired flying with the lithium pack and usually land after about 15 minutes. The 7cell nimh pack gives about 12-15 minutes of flight time. It's my personal favorite for the Tiger Moth.
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
Old Feb 26, 2002, 05:35 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I'd have to agree with Sgil2001, I have both and save the QC's for when the 300's are empty and the wind is still calm.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Feb 26, 2002, 05:36 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,993 Posts
Moth Batts and pilot

I use a 6 cell, 700 mah nimh battery. i bought them at walmart, come in packs 4(Rayovac rechargeble), and made them nto a 6 cell pack. i get about 40 min of flight time out of them. Fit pretty well into the batt box on the tiger moth. Also i used the pilot from my hobby lobby Hawker Hurricane in this plane, he didn't fit in th hawker so i figured why waste him. Its a perfect fit on the Moth.

Enjoy and welcome to the Tiger Moth squadron,
Kyle
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Feb 26, 2002, 08:36 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
spinnetti, is that the collection from the "Qualcomm batteries for dummies" post a while back? I'm a little hesitant to send cash to someone I don't know, but am having a difficult time sourcing the batteries up here (Canada)
Yes, I think so. A buddy ordered them for us, and we split them (5 packs a piece)...

If you search the messages, I don't think you will find any complaints... I wouldn't worry about that unduly ( unless you can't afford to lose that amount of money in which case........)
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:09 PM
Central Texas
Joined Nov 2001
107 Posts
Martin,
Welcome to the squadron! You are going to love it..

I use a 7 cell 270mAh Nicad for barnstorning, a 7cell 360mAh Minh pack of RS cells, and 3 packs of 830 Qualcomms for long slow flying and have yet to use them all up in one trip to the field!

Just keep it light, very small amounts of epoxy or Probond are quite strong and go a long way..

Lynn
marauder is offline Find More Posts by marauder
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:10 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
gromit, 700mah sounds heavy to me, compared to everyone else recommending 300 to 350 mah packs... what's your plane's weight like? How's the performance on 6 cells?
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:31 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Welcome!
There are others flying with 7 cell 720ma NiMH packs, and seem quite happy with them. There are far more, like myself, using 300ma-370ma 7 cell NiMh packs.
I have 2, while I fly one I charge the other.
They work great, provide plenty of power and good duration. I wouldn't even bother using Nicad packs.
You do need a charger that is designed to peak charge NiMH packs.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Feb 26, 2002, 11:07 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,993 Posts
i'll admit its a little heavy but its a tiger moth, its not built to do aerobatics or speed around. its a nice relaxing flyer so the LITTLE extra weight doesn't effect it performance. It just lets it fly for a LONG time. Be careful, i usually land after about 10-15 min to let the engine kool for a minute or two. its no big deal, my fingers are usually cold by then and i want to warm them up anyway.

kyle
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Mar 02, 2002, 03:04 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
My Moth finally arrived in the mail today! I feel like I've been waiting forever, when in fact it's only been 5 days. Anyway, worked on it for a bit tonight, encorporating some of the mods I've noticed on here. Until my qualcomm's arrive, I'll try the 6 cell 110 pack just to get the thing in the air. I'm like a kid at Christmas with this sweet little soon-to-be-airplane!
Old Mar 02, 2002, 03:34 AM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
marauder,
I see you are using 3packs of Qualcomms... I should get my Orbit charger tomorrow so would like to play with 3 pack lithiums.
Any tips for making 3packs? I guess you need to make sure they are the same voltage before charging them together... what charger do you use? Do you get performance about equal to 7cell NiMH's ?
Thanks!
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi