HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2004, 08:49 PM
James
Australia, NSW, North Narrabeen
Joined Nov 2004
331 Posts
H-Model DG-1000 ... what scale

Hi, I live in Sydney Australia and have just bought a H-Model DG-1000 with the 3.6m wing span. It has no instructions, and no box details.

I want to buy some harnesses for the cockpit, but I am unsure of the scale. There is no point trying to work it off the orgional full scale DG as the winglets/tips are different.

Does anyone know what scale this kit is?

Thanks.
JimJams is offline Find More Posts by JimJams
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:58 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,148 Posts
If it's the HF Models DG-1000 then it is 1:5 scale. Mine came with an 8 page instruction manual from HF, and another 6 page set of instructions from Icare (the vendor I bought it from).

Brian
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:59 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,009 Posts
Depends...
There are 2 models available of the DG-1000, with 18 m span, and 20 m respectively : DG-1000

18 m : 18/3.6 = 5 ==> 1:5 scale
20 m : 20/3.6 = 5.55 ==> 1:5.5 scale

I would think that the model is based on the 18m version.
Michael
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:05 PM
James
Joined Nov 2004
331 Posts
thanks for both replies... I thought it'd be 1:5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
If it's the HF Models DG-1000 then it is 1:5 scale. Mine came with an 8 page instruction manual from HF, and another 6 page set of instructions from Icare (the vendor I bought it from).

Brian

This is my first glass RC glider and I have not used one that is more than 3 channel. I've got an Aeronautical Engineering Degree and feel that I have got a good idea on how to set it up... does the instructions have anything important I should know? (I know the C/G)
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:20 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJams
thanks for both replies... I thought it'd be 1:5

This is my first glass RC glider and I have not used one that is more than 3 channel. I've got an Aeronautical Engineering Degree and feel that I have got a good idea on how to set it up... does the instructions have anything important I should know? (I know the C/G)

There is nothing in the instructions that are unusual. But not having built an RC glider you may be unfamiliar with common building practices and I would see if you can get a set of the instructions. Email HF and see if you can get a set. The plans say it is 1/5th scale on the first sheet.

A scale glider as your first is ambitious! Make sure you have some experienced help when you fly it. These are not the best for novice sailplane pilots.

Brian
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:48 PM
James
Joined Nov 2004
331 Posts
I've already called them.. but he doesn't understand english. I spoke with his daughter who said she'd email me the instructions, but she hasn't... even after a follow-up call.

I understand what you are saying about being a novice. I plan to start flying it of a sensible slope, then move on to biggerthings as I feel more confident. I do fly full scale gliders, so I have a good understanding of flight. I have also bought a JR full programable unit, so it should make life a little easier. *crosses fingers*

are you happy with yours?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:00 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,148 Posts
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I am waiting for the servos. Seems like a nice enough kit for the money. The post on here about it are usually quite positive. I got mine as a sorta scale guinnea pig for a new slope we are going to start flying at. I did not want to chuck anything too costly off it just yet until we figure out the hill and the landing approach.

You might want to try contacting Joseph at Icare (icare-rc.com) and see if he might email you a copy of his instructions.

Brian
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:12 PM
Only Scale tastes nice!
Joined Sep 2002
550 Posts
JimJams
Dont mean to be forward on this, but can you tell me (ball park) how much it cost you to get to Auz? I was looking earlier in the year at one, but fell over backwards on the price of shipping.
They are a nice model, my "dream machine'
Cheers
portfoxdesign is offline Find More Posts by portfoxdesign
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:30 PM
James
Joined Nov 2004
331 Posts
I looked into buying it direct, but I got cold feet: They wouldn't take VISA, so there was no purchasing insurance and they wanted the cash to be put into a strange bank account. The cost was about $700AUD for the kit, plus about $600 for 5 day freight = $1,300.

My girlfriend offered to buy me a kit from Modelflight here in Australia... it was $1,600 which is substantially more, but atleast it didn't take the risk of getting ripped off from an OS company.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:47 PM
Only Scale tastes nice!
Joined Sep 2002
550 Posts
you have to be careful. The shipping cost blew me away, almost as much as the plane.
If you ever feel the urge to buy another scale machine, Jon Copeland makes partial kits for a few designs (ASW26 for example). nice guy and here in auz.
thanks for the info.

Cheers
portfoxdesign is offline Find More Posts by portfoxdesign
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:58 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,148 Posts
Cough...choke...gag....HOW MUCH???

I thought $70 shipping was bad from Canada to Cali. You guys need group buys! really cuts the shippping costs when they can ship two or three in the same big box. It's hard to believe they can charge that much. Almost cheaper to fly there buy it and bring it back as your luggage.

TFLG
Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:00 AM
California, USA
Joined Jul 2001
98 Posts
Quote:
II got mine as a sorta scale guinnea pig for a new slope we are going to start flying at.
Hey Brian,

What slope is this? I am considering getting a scale ship but all the slopes I know in Socal or the Inland Empire are pretty rocky, other than maybe Glider Pointe but the lift there isn't the greatest.
Mattebox is offline Find More Posts by Mattebox
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:32 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
132 Posts
Hi. I have the DG1000 by H-F Modell (http://web.telecom.cz/hfmodell/) it is 3.7m span. But this is NOT the same as the H Models kit, also from the CZ republic.

I've not dealt with H Models but have communicated with Radomir Faltus of HF Modell. The e-mail address is on the website.

I may even still have the instructions in electronic format but I'm not sure..

Kind regards
Allan
allanart is offline Find More Posts by allanart
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:32 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattebox
Hey Brian,

What slope is this? I am considering getting a scale ship but all the slopes I know in Socal or the Inland Empire are pretty rocky, other than maybe Glider Pointe but the lift there isn't the greatest.

Skyline drive at the top of the Cleveland National Forrest. The slope is above Corona and is actuall pretty nice for large ships. The top is still a little rough but is free frm bushes, trees, boulders etc. It just has grass and gravel.

TFLG
Old Nov 25, 2004, 03:01 PM
James
Joined Nov 2004
331 Posts
Quote:
Cough...choke...gag....HOW MUCH???

I thought $70 shipping was bad from Canada to Cali. You guys need group buys! really cuts the shippping costs when they can ship two or three in the same big box. It's hard to believe they can charge that much. Almost cheaper to fly there buy it and bring it back as your luggage.

TFLG
I also looked into this, as I was happy to buy the DG-1000 and DG-600 at teh same time. the problem is, airfreight is bases on weight, not size as is sea freight. It worked out about $1,000AUD freight for both

I don't understand why freight is so much over here. I recently purchased a front spoiler for my Peugeot 206 GTI 180 and the freight from France was about $300AUD and the part was about $200AUD.