SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:47 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
New CNC manufactured 1/2a autogyro kit

If you are searching for a nice looking 1/2a size gyrocopter trainer, check out some pictures and video here: http://clients.ransomgroup.com/goodeye/. There is also a brochure in PDF format.
It is a CNC cut kit and includes an extensive hardware package and precut high performance blades as sold by www.aerobalsa.com.
No hand launches are needed. all takeoffs are ROG.
Contact information is in the PDF brochure.

We have a few kits left from Novembers production run.
The price is $95 plus $6 shipping in the lower 48. International shipping is actual shipping cost plus extra packaging.

John
PT Gyro is offline Find More Posts by PT Gyro
Last edited by PT Gyro; Nov 24, 2004 at 10:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:52 PM
Paducah Barkley, Kentucky, United States
Joined Sep 2003
783 Posts
Hi John, looks like we were posting at the same time.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302580

Welcome to the forums!

Could you tell us some more about the kit?

Has anyone done an electric conversion that you know of?

Added:
What prop and RPM do you use on that motor?
I want to get an idea of the pitch speed and thrust needed for an electric conversion.

BTW I recieved John's email and the cost is $95 + S/H to the 48 US.

Thanks
mike
umrk is offline Find More Posts by umrk
Last edited by umrk; Nov 24, 2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:16 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
There are kits being built with everything from a norvel .061 to an OS 10. There are a couple of PT's being built in Europe with electric power but I am not sure which motor they are using

We have about finished the CAD drawings for a larger version that will support engines from .25 to .40 size. we hope to begin shipping that version in Feb. We call it the PT25.

After the PT25 we will start designing the PT electric. It will basically be the same size as the 1/2a PT Gyro but will be designed around the AXI 22xx series motor. It will also have NACA low drag cooling inlets for the engine and battery compartment.

John
Last edited by PT Gyro; Nov 24, 2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:31 PM
Joined Sep 2003
783 Posts
Thanks John.

Going by the disk loading chart at autogyro.com the 34" rotor should be able to handle 30oz AUW to hit the magic 5oz loading. In another forum I noticed you posted the AUW was 20oz with the glow setup, so it seems to me that this model should be able to handle the additional weight of Lipo batteries with no problem.

mike
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:04 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
I don't think lipo batteries will be aproblem at all. Since I posted that weight, We have changed to 720 nickel metel hydride batteries. The AUW with full fuel is approx 23 oz. At that weight it's still a floater..........

John
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:28 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
Mike,
I just noticed your request for engine data.
The engine is a Norvel .074, the prop is a MasterAirscrew 7x4. RPM is about 17000.

I forgot to mention that we have designed a 15 deg offset "delta3" head for the PT. We have eleminated the tuck and roll problems that are normally encountered in autogyro flight. In normal conditions, you just drive it around the sky like a trainer. A little back pressure in turns is all thats needed.

John
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:10 AM
Joined Sep 2003
783 Posts
It sounds like you've like you tamed it down rather well for a trainer, BUT as I progress with it how capible is it for... more advanced flying? Being a total newb to gyros I really can't phraise it better than that since I really don't know the limitations and advantages/abilities of gyros yet.

As a history, I'm in another resergance of RC, been in and out of it since '75, and last go round I was flying a Ultra Sport w/YS.45, tuned pipe and 10x8 prop on one end of the spectrum, and a scratch built profile Fun Fly with a MVVS .40, tuned muffler and 10x5 MA on the other end. So I'm not a total newb to RC... but Gyros are way out of my experience. This throw down I'm going totally electric, tired of the glow mess.

I've been researching Electrics for a while and now Gyros. More researching then doing I'm afraid. But Gyros have a certain unique appeal, so different than my previous experience. Sort of the perfect gap between Heli's and planes, w/o the complexity and mechanical/maintence overdose of Heli's... if you know what I mean.

Thanks again, John.
mike
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2003
783 Posts
OK, I did some cypher'n and a Aircraft World DIY VL motor kit wound with 10 turns of 23 guage wire (equivelent of the 2 strands of 26g reported) is supposed to turn a APC-E 6x5.5 to 12,700 rpm and 19+ oz. thrust, direct drive. So this should be fairly close replacment for the .074 with a 7x4 prop at 17K. Being a smaller dia. prop should negate any torque worries. The motor weighs about 38g / 1.32 oz. according to my scale, and wound with 9.5 turns of 23g for a touch more Umph.

John, do you know the weight of the Norvel with muffler?

Thanks
mike
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:15 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
588 Posts
WHOO HOO... The ball is rolling. I just sent John a e-mail to order one. pending he still has one. I can't wait.
motorbikemike is offline Find More Posts by motorbikemike
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:20 PM
Joined Sep 2003
783 Posts
Good deal MBM! What motor are you fuguring on using?

Start up a construction thread, lots of pics!

mike
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:44 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
588 Posts
Mike,
likely a norvell or a small O.S. If he has a kit for me to buy I'll do a online step by step. It looks like a really great kit.

Mike
motorbikemike is offline Find More Posts by motorbikemike
Old Nov 28, 2004, 02:45 PM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
590 Posts
gyro

Hi,
I was lucky enough to get a PT gyro kit from the first production run.
I intend to electrify it sometime early next year when I get the chance.
To date I have been experimenting with aerobalsa blades and a sort of "suitcase minnie" design. It has flown with a typhoon 15, 8x4 cam prop and 3 s 2400 lipoly. Too much thrust, and I crashed it twice due to orientation and wind ( 35 Kts) problems. A pod and boom gyro is very difficult to see!! Despite near vertical impacts the aerobalsa blades covered in "zagi tape" survived undamaged but the pylon and a blade hinge suffered .
It always amazes me that despite the force of the impact most gyros sustain only minor damage when in contact with the ground.Bill
Note: control by head tilt forward/back and left/right. No rudder.
gyronuts is online now Find More Posts by gyronuts
Last edited by gyronuts; Nov 28, 2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 06:51 PM
Nr Windsor, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
470 Posts
John

Do you have a website or email? Any kits left...I would v much like one!

Roger
Dodgie is offline Find More Posts by Dodgie
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:40 AM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
Hi Roger,
We hope to have the next run ready within a month.
Email me if you would like to be added to the waiting list. ptgyro@bellsouth.net
You can visit our website @ www.flyingbalsa.com

Thanks in advance,
John
Old Dec 29, 2004, 01:38 AM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
John

I would like to congradulate you on getting your Gyro project into the production phase. Hopefully you will sell alot of kits and I will see alot of them out flying! Best wishes in your endevour! I will be looking forward to seeing a report on your electric model!

John
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren