SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:54 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
To raid or not to raid

I started this thread as on offshoot of a discussion that started in the hunting tragedy thread. The discussion was about raid being the fastest bestist etc. etc.

My question is that while raid is fast (I have used it) what about serial ATA. I built my first serial ATA system (the one I am on) and as far as I am concerned for game playing and general use I won't use anthing else. I'm running a P4 with a gig of ram (hyperthreading enabled) and a 150 gig serial ata and this thing screams. FWIW
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:24 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
I think it's apples vs. oranges because RAID means "Redundant Array of Independant Disks" and is used for systems that simply require fool proof redundancy for protection and security.
In short, a RAID system will use several absolutely identical but independant hard drives that are all updated on a real time basis.

An ATA Serial hard drive IS a lot faster than standard ATA, but I don't know what a RAID installation would have to do with system performance per se.

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Nov 24, 2004, 01:04 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
I assumed that everyone like me has heard "claims" of faster access and transfer rates with a raid configuration??
Old Nov 24, 2004, 01:13 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Possible due to caching requirements with RAID controllers.
An awfully expensive way to boost performance.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 24, 2004, 01:21 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Right I agree completely...wonder if we could test this out though
Old Nov 24, 2004, 01:30 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
FreshDiagnose

Here is a little benchmark from a free program I downloaded.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 01:57 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Do you have a link? I can test my drives..
..a
Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:03 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Yep sorry meant to include, its kind of a pain you must register but it is free.

http://www.freshdiagnose.com/downfiles.html
Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:26 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
I think it's apples vs. oranges because RAID means "Redundant Array of Independant Disks" and is used for systems that simply require fool proof redundancy for protection and security.
Many would consider that RAID 0 or striping shouldn't be classified as RAID, as you actually reduce protection and security (loose one or more drives and you loose everything, no recovery possible).

Still, RAID 0 is what most users would encounter in their own personal systems as a way to increase performance. Keep in mind that there are varying types of RAID controllers, and you get what you pay for in general. With SATA drives you have SCSI advantages like command cueuing (Tagged Or Native for SATA) that help speed up throughtput.

I'd say hop over to Anandtech, Tom's HWG, StorageReview, etc and you'll get a earfull of opinions. (iirc MaximumPC did a shootout a couple of issues back and there was not much difference in a RAID 0 setup IN ACTUAL USE (ie, not just benchmark s/w).

If you need security, RAID 1 or 5 (or 1+0 if you wanna fork out one more drive) is an easy route. I'm certain that RAID 0 might have just the least bit of advantage in some applications, ESPECIALLY in a single user environment - but with a SATA (or even recent ATA) drive, as you've found, performance is pretty good.

fwiw I'm still sort of old school in that I use seperate physical drives which helps in performance imo - eg, 1st drive is partition to boot drive/apps and data/app drive, that way I can re-install easy. 2nd physical drive is for data, for eg when recording video the data gets dumped into 2nd drive. And finally a 3rd physical drive when encoding video files, extracting large compressed files (WinRAR) - that way system and app is running off drive #1, reading video file from #2, encoded and written to #3 - you don't have to worry about multiple read-writes (fwiw, there's some discussion wrt to some versions of BitTorrent (anyone using? ) CRASHING drives with continous read/writes). For the past couple of years I've left the data drive off my PC and put it on as a Network Attached Storage.
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Old Nov 24, 2004, 04:00 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,365 Posts
RAID 0 does in fact provide faster sequential transfer rates that would benefit applications such as video editing but for everday use and gaming there is little to no quantifiable advantage. You're much better off with a single fast drive such as the Raptor.
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Nov 24, 2004, 04:46 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I do exactly what Peter does - C: is the original smaller drive for apps and OS (120GB I think), and then I have 160 and 200GB drives for data/video, etc. Now they have a 250GB unit for $129 @ Costco.. phew.. might need to upgrade again!
..a
Old Nov 24, 2004, 05:49 PM
no place like cloudbase
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
487 Posts
Awakened is right. Well pretty sure. There is a new HD (raptor model)out there that is a a serial ATA that runs at 10,000 rpm. I think this can perform in the same speeds as a RAID setup. On the hot dog gaming setups they are using these.
freeflight is offline Find More Posts by freeflight
Old Nov 24, 2004, 06:34 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Yes but what if you raid the rapors? I've got a 10,000 rpm raptor but nothing beats a SCSI raid.

Raid 0 btw is when you write half you information to one drive while writing the other half (in a 2 drive raid) to the other. It takes about half the time so it is almost twice as fast. The more drives you use the less data each one is required to store so the faster the system can be. As Peter says this is less secure because if any one drive goes your data is lost. If you have an non-critical system you want as fast as can be than raid 0 is the way to go. You can raid SCSI, IDE or serial drives.

SCSI drives are up to 15,000 rpm.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:37 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,365 Posts
Anandtech's Opinion

Quote:
If you haven't gotten the hint by now, we'll spell it out for you: there is no place, and no need for a RAID-0 array on a desktop computer. The real world performance increases are negligible at best and the reduction in reliability, thanks to a halving of the mean time between failure, makes RAID-0 far from worth it on the desktop.
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:55 PM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
I must say on my system, The RAID almost doubles measureable performance of a single ATA drive. I have no experience with SATA yet.

Doug
unbalanced prop is offline Find More Posts by unbalanced prop
Last edited by unbalanced prop; Nov 24, 2004 at 11:58 PM.