HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2010, 12:04 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
The Maiden!

Great Plane! Great Design! -- Thanks Mr. Boogie!

Definitely gonna add those ailerons now!

My modifications to the original plans are as follows:
-Increase size (125%) to fit 64mm fan
-install 360deg thrust vectoring nozzle unit
-add extra ducting to inlet to smooth out airflow
-mount motor further forward
-one piece wing with KFm4 airfoil (50%)

The Walkaround:
F-35 Scratchbuilt from Plans with Thrust Vectoring pt. 1:the walkaround (3 min 21 sec)

The Maiden & CRASH:
F-35 Scratchbuilt from Plans with Thrust Vectoring pt. 2: Maiden & CRASH!!! (4 min 26 sec)

Post maiden report:
torque roll was not a problem -- control surfaces were! This plane needs the linked ailerons!
Plane has been repaired. I will hold off on the paint! The only damage was to the front part of the nose. It acted as a "crumple" zone and absorbed the plane's weight on impact. I think it saved the rest of the plane!

Prior to next flight, I will add linked ailerons to the tailerons for better roll control! She will be back in the air in no time!

Stats:
26" WS
2200 3S 25C lipo
64mm fan
5250KV BL motor
50A ESC (only need 40A)
4 servos
delta mixer
AUW 23oz

Once I get her back in the air, hopefully I'll be able to utilize the thrust vectoring for tail slides, high alpha, flat spins, cobras, etc...

Photos of damage and repair below...
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Last edited by SNice; May 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2010, 09:20 PM
Morristown, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
SNice,

First off congrats on the maiden! She really looked under control and piloted well up until that low level roll attempt.

Good to see the damage is repairable. Nice job for your first edf, and you did a nice job with the build.

Cheers,
Mr. B
Mr. Boogie is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Boogie
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:05 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
I new to rc airplanes a i have few questions to ask: what is bluecore and depron and where i can buy it , how much time i need to build this airplane , what i need of electronics , can i make alerions and elevaton in place of tailerions , how it costs to build it and is it hard (i am very good non flying airplanes modeler).

Tnx for plans Mr.Boogie

P.S sorry for my bad english i don't live in english speaking country
Lt.Aki is offline Find More Posts by Lt.Aki
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:41 AM
Morristown, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Aki View Post
I new to rc airplanes a i have few questions to ask: what is bluecore and depron and where i can buy it , how much time i need to build this airplane , what i need of electronics , can i make alerions and elevaton in place of tailerions , how it costs to build it and is it hard (i am very good non flying airplanes modeler).

Tnx for plans Mr.Boogie

P.S sorry for my bad english i don't live in english speaking country

Hi,

Bluecore and Depron are sheet foams used in building construction projects and in our case RC plane builds. Depron can be purchased online in varying sheet sizes and thicknesses. Bluecore can be purchased in home improvement stores such as Lowes in the US. The plans detail what you need for electronics. At a minimum 2 9gram servos for taileron control, a motor, fan and esc. Build time depends on your skill level (as a builder), but once the parts are cut build moves fairly smoothly. Ailerons and elevator are fine just a slight weight addition. No idea on the cost, depends on your equipment selection.

Cheers,
B
Mr. Boogie is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Boogie