SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2001, 05:00 AM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
E.E. Lightning-pusher scale electric need help with motor/battery etc

Hi,I have just started to ressurect a Lightning model that I built from foam( the pink stuff),the fuselage is completely hollowed out,wings are from foam too,tailparts all built up items from balsa.
It was originally intended to fly with an O.S.10 FP Two stroke pusher.
Wingspan is 22",model is very light.It has a skin from glass/epoxy,so is fairly strong too.
The original attempt to fly met in disaster as the rx was old,and really too big.Balancing out the O.S.10 resulted in the addition of lead to the nose,basically was a disater,the model rolled into the ground from a handlaunch,the rx was off tune and had zero range(should have checked first.)
Since 1995,the model has lived in my attic,just brought her down,removed all the lead and started to repair,won't be hard,my problem is,what size motor/pusher prop(direct drive)
I have been encouraged due to the flying ability of the Pico Jets,I'm certain this model will work with the right motor/rx/esc/battery set up.
Any ideas?Please send an e-mail if you would like to see a coulpe of pictures of the model.
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2001, 09:42 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,960 Posts
What does the EMPTY airframe weigh by itself?

How much wing area?

Do you want it to fly, or to fly like an EE Lightning?

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Apr 30, 2001, 06:39 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
Have you thought about a conversion to rocket
power?
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis
Old May 01, 2001, 01:07 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Really,just a reasonable turn of speed would be fine,I'm not looking to break any records,success with e power is my goal!
A friend has a Multiplex Pico Jet,with a Permax 480 installed,my Lightning has a relatively similar wing area,will actually be lighter than his model,from my guesstimations,therefore,it should work-in theory,I guess the same gear as fitted to the little pylon racer models should do the trick,but am looking for some kind of confirmation.
Rockets? Hmmm,nice idea,perhaps duration is a little limited!
The Pico Jet flies fine,enough power to pull loops,I just hope it will work.
I have been working on the model all week,it is nearly ready for re-painting and installation of equipment.
I don't think anyone has done this before with a Lightning of this size,an internet search did not yield any results,but as a flying machine,the full sized machine had superb handling qualities,and I don't think the 5" Gunther prop will produce too much in terms of gyroscopic forces,or torque.
Anyone aware of this type of thing having been done before?
Cheers,Matt.
Old May 01, 2001, 01:12 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Message for Jim,the empty airframe weighs 245 grams,wing area,approx. 260 sq. ins.
Thanks again,Matt.
Old May 01, 2001, 05:33 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
Have you thought about an electric ducted fan?

goto www.wemotec.com who build some of the best electric ducted fans you can get.

space might be a bit tight and you would need to modify the duct but it will sound good.

I also hate to admit it but a prop will produce more thrust.

Doc
Doc Watson is offline Find More Posts by Doc Watson