SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Apr 2012
945 Posts
Dear IBWALT,

If you are able to share your plan of the balsa pod for the Houston Hawk, I'd love to see it.

W
wingloada is online now Find More Posts by wingloada
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Composite Allegro wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The Yardbird uses the S-3014 airfoil. The Hawk uses the S-3021. The hawk won't penetrate quite as well as the Yardbird, but I still think it's the better all-around RES model of the two. When I get settled, the Journey will get redone, and I believe it will prove to be the best of all of them... when I can get the flutter worked out of it for the launch phase...

I have promised a Wood Hawk to many of you and I will go about that... first...
Why not make your flutter investigation a new thread. I have been studying flutter on built up sailplane wings for over 30 years and still have a lot to learn about designing for flutter avoidance.
ChuckA is online now Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
Houston Hawk wood fuselage

Jack,

My gratitude as well, for offering to design a wood fuselage for the Houston Hawk. Much obliged. One thing we all discovered, they don't make more time. More demands, yes, time, nope.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Last edited by PeterH; Sep 15, 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: forgot to address by name
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
We are beginning to get settled. I have much to do between now and the Holidays, but I should be building by just after New Year's Day. I have to deck my attic and get most of the stuff out of the garage into the attic, get the yard started... 1 acre, but the grass is in, mostly... and get the builder to fix all the little stuff so I don't have to... yep, good luck with that...... But I have a Hawk kit and lots of good sheet wood, glue, etc...

Peter nailed it... time is the missing factor...

Jack

I think I have the flutter thingy figured out. None of my Hawks ever fluttered, but my Yardbirds and Journeys have, due to the thinner airfoil, probably. I am going to build another Journey center and use some bias-cut Kevlar on the D-tube. It will not qualify as a woody, but I wasn't worried about that... only the RES thing. We'll see how that goes...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:55 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Just as a comparison I have a fuse works fuse and it is 8.7oz without the canopy. Funny thing is I purchased this fuse with the intent to make a mold...
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:55 AM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life! I have a short kit coming and am weighing my options for a fuse. I have pm'ed jolly01 about his. Wondering if anyone has done a wood fuse yet as I know Darth too much going on in his life hasn't had the time to finish up his plans as of yet and I was thinking of doing one possibly, but need a little guidance and inspiration. Could go pod and boom, but not a fan of the look and don't think it compliments the sexy wing. Maybe someone has a suitable fuse laying around they want to unload? Just looking for options at this point before I get started.

Thanks.
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:03 PM
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Apr 2012
945 Posts
Take a look at my blog here at RCgroups. I drew up and built several wood fuselages for the Hawk and Yardbird. All the plans are there for download along with a link to the build log thread.

Best,

W
wingloada is online now Find More Posts by wingloada
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Composite Allegro wing
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:11 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
I'll check em out, thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:42 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,797 Posts
There have been a number of wood fuselages for the Hawk, including a few threads over the past 1-2 years on RCG. I also built my own pod/boom fuse for a Yardbird. An easy weekend of work. This one has a spinny thing on the front

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=yardbird
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:01 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Nice looking yardbird Dion. Would you mind pointing me to any of the wood fuses builds for the hawk? All my searches seem to come up empty minus the few pod and boom builds, just not my thing for this plane. Wingloda has a nice looking plan set in his blog that I may have printed out to look at. Jolly01 also has a very resonable deal for his molded fuse too, just not sure what I want to do yet. Thanks.

Forest
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:37 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
A Durex fuselage would look good with a set of HH wings on it. 100% wood so you could easily modify the shoulder for the new airfoil.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:46 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
A Durex fuselage would look good with a set of HH wings on it. 100% wood so you could easily modify the shoulder for the new airfoil.
Isn't the Durex slick enough? not to say a set of HH wings would look good... just saying...

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:36 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Hi Kurt,

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Durex. I think it would look good with any set of wings on it. Mr. Kite is in the process of building one right now and I am hopeful that he will bring it to one of our Rochester soaring events this summer. It's a 40 year old design that looks as good today as it did back then. We now return you to other wood fuselage options.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:49 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
OK Sports Fans... Things are finally looking up and I should be getting my shop area finished this weekend. I have decided to build the WoodHawk fuselage and then draw it... sounds nuts to some I know... but that's the way my creative gears turn, sometime... I'll start a new thread called the WoodHawk when I get it done, and post lotsa pics and narrative in a short period of time... and probably a .pdf file that I can send out. I have decided to do it in a taco shell arrangement and, while some may disagree, I think it's the way to go... I think you'll all like the articulated, removable horizontal tails...

Darth WoodHawk Daddy... AKA... Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman