HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:00 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,265 Posts
what type of glue did you use Ray? If you used wood glue, you could just use your iron to heat it and it will bond.... sorry for your set-back. Great effort, I was rootin for ya...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
"Get 'er Up"
Wichita, KS
Joined Nov 2008
104 Posts
HH trailing edge treatment

I agree the balsa trailing edges are a weak spot on any woody build. One thing I did for my HH builds was to laminate 1/4" wide .007 prepreg carbon strips on top of the back edge of the balsa TE (seen lower left of photo), and then applied some 0.2 oz carbon tissue (veil or mat) with thin CA to the bottom surface of the TE stock. This has significantly increased the durability and warp resistance of those pesky trailing edges. After two years plus of flying in heat & humidity, my HH trailing edges have remained straight & true and have held up well to hangar rash.
lktroiani is offline Find More Posts by lktroiani
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,015 Posts
hi there from Toledo

And The Time Is:

It is now T minus 22:48 hours and counting. The goal is to arrive at The Toledo Expo at T minus 1:00 hour or earlier.

Wings and Things:

The sheeting of the of the right wing inner panel is now drying and looking great.

I ended up removing the top sheeting and the leading edge material and cleaned up the mess. Then I replaced the LE stock with medium CA and planed it to shape. Next I marked the rib locations on the sheeting and prepainted the lines with titebond. Next I painted the rib tops with titebond. Then I spread the CA on the LE and the spar and applied the sheeting with many pin with retainers and freezer bags full of metal beads. Now it sits drying for a while, 2 hours or so for the titebond to set properly.

Somebody say "LUNCH!!!"

We are back in the game!

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Last edited by ray foley; Apr 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:01 PM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined May 2009
53 Posts
Ray,

It's spelled "LAUNCH!!!"

Way to go!

Scott
grep_rc is offline Find More Posts by grep_rc
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:58 PM
volare est vivere
Joined Jan 2005
2,015 Posts
hi there from Toledo

And The Time Is:

T minus 18:22 hours and counting to the Toledo Expo entry deadline. We may or may not not win but we will definitely be there.

Wings and Things:

All sanding and repairs are finished. Now for some dinner and then a lengthy bout of UC, spoilers, linkages, and R/C gear. Put it to bed and deliver the HH to the Toledo Expo in the morning.

ciao -rjf
Last edited by ray foley; Apr 13, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:39 AM
volare est vivere
Joined Jan 2005
2,015 Posts
hi there from Toledo

The time is T minus 3:30 hours and counting. However, we are ready to put it in the car and go to the Toledo Expo, Hurrah!

No spoilers but so it goes I'll add them later. AUW 1.85 Kg or 65 oz. ready to fly.

Thanks for the encouragement when I was feeling almost defeated. Good friends, good success, I hope to meet some of you one day.

ciao -rjf
Last edited by ray foley; Jun 14, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,774 Posts
Hey, it isn't real if there aren't any pics!
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
Ray,

Congratulations on your completing your build in time for the show.

I've wanted to buid a HH for a long time. Can't wait to see the wood fuselage from Darth HH.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your completed HH.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
volare est vivere
Joined Jan 2005
2,015 Posts
hi there from Toledo

The rules at the Toledo Expo are odd. The HH was ruled a sport plane because it has a propellor and motor. So it was not to be displayed with the other purist's sailplanes. Hello, Weak Signals, this is an ALES plane, you have you heard of it, Altitude Limited Electric Soaring? Sheesh, and so we were required to display in the sport planes section, it was the only one of its kind, how humiliating, really.

So here are the pictures of the first HH at the Toledo Expo banished to the sport plane gulag. Enjoy.

ciao -rjf
Last edited by ray foley; May 09, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:13 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
WOW!

Ray,you did a great job. I love it. You've got to be proud of it.

I like the Pod and Boom.And your color scheme is great.

You better send it to me so I can test fly it for you.

Now I really want to build one.

Eddie
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Feb 2010
167 Posts
Ray

Great job Ray...You should be very satisfied with your accomplishment.
You have done yourself proud.
Don't forget it's a hobby. Now go out and have some fun with that BEAUTY.
Curt
cmwhite is offline Find More Posts by cmwhite
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:03 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,774 Posts
Did you also tell them how fast it got built? Maybe there should be a special class for speed building.

Love the fuselage. Can you provide more details or pics of the fuse build? I have a set of completed Yardbird wings and a boom, just need to figure out what I want for a fuselage and tail feathers, and I could picture your setup under my wings.

Nice job,

Dion
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
Ray,

I would like to see some detail on your pod and boom design also.

I've been waiting for "Darth Houston Hawkman" to complete the wood fuselage design so I can order a kit. I love that plane and yours really makes me want to build one.

Eddie
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
volare est vivere
Joined Jan 2005
2,015 Posts
hi there from Toledo

The HH was not in the top 3 in the sport plane catagory, no surprise there. When I placed the HH in he sport plane gulag, there was an honest to God turbine powered, fire breathing, green r/c flying Dragon. It was molded from 62 different molded parts and airbrushed with dragon scales no less. It is magnificent to say the least. Then there were the chipmunk and a Strega race plane in second and third places respectively.

To say the HH was outclassed and in the wrong class (grumble loudly here) would be significant understatements. So it goes sometimes. As I was leaving I stopped at the seats where the Expo management were sitting, glared and said "Sport Plane, indeed." and stalked off quite annoyed ("harumph!" said he). Then I went home to vent my frustrations upon you folks, sorry.

Dinner is calling.

ciao -rjf
Last edited by ray foley; Apr 16, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:41 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Gents, I am truly sorry that the Hawk fuselage is so back burner right now but work and family issues are taking all my spare time. It's one thing after another and truly huge projects at work... positive train control... mandated by Congress... I'm about 17 months from retirement... I hope... if this job doesn't kill me...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman