Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 28, 2004, 07:58 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
I love those gloss white fuses and blue wings!

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:22 PM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
AJ,
Spoilers will be different, built-up, vertical-fence type that don't interrupt the ribs so deeply I need less work and more modeling time...

Jack
Why not go with flaps on this bad boy?

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:17 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,747 Posts
I'll b eusing a flat bottomed airfoil and flaps don't help them that much. I'm trying to keep it simple... though it doesn't sound like it with the built up blade spoilers.

JW
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 30, 2004, 07:19 PM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
Yeah, why no ailerons? why no Flaps? Why no flaperons, no elevons, no tailerons, why no engine, why not 2 ducted fan brushless under the wings, why no wheels? No wingflapping mechanism?

I am a gimmicks guy, I love switches and knobs to fiddle with, and things that move, yet somehow I think I will build my Hawk - surprise!- as a RES ship - a KISS bird exactly as designed by Jack.

well ..... may add some some LEDs so I can watchen das Blinkenlichten
C
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
Old Nov 30, 2004, 07:42 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
I kind of liked the two ducted fan idea, Christian..... and I'll second on the watchen das Blinkenlichten.

Get going on that Hawk, dude!

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Nov 30, 2004, 09:01 PM
Broomfield, CO
Joined Nov 2004
658 Posts
Woodeagle/hawk

Wow a cross-country model that could be built at home without million dollar mega-molds, vacuum bags and a 30 cubic foot auto-clave? HECK YES I would be interested! Bet it might not even need a 5gigabyte radio to fly it!!

Tell us more soon!
Greg
fly1milehi is offline Find More Posts by fly1milehi
Old Nov 30, 2004, 09:38 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,747 Posts
My statement about flaps not helping a flat bottomed airfoil should be clarified, a bit. I should have added "in cruise performance" to that statement. Flaps will indeed help a flat bottomed airfioil to slow for thermalling or landing. Negative flaps or reflex if you want to call it that, do not help much at all on a 3021 or similar airfoil. One caveat about the WoodEagle... I had decided to use a flat-bottomed airfoil, but looking closer, I may well change to the dark (undercambered) side... At that point, flaps make more sence.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm working too hard and not playing enough.

Jack
Old Dec 08, 2004, 05:00 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,196 Posts
Great thread... I read every page and tried to do a search for the condor fuse specs but didn't see any anywhere... Can someone tell us whats the length of the fuse in sections?

nose to le of wing
wingle to te
te wing to le of hstab

reason i ask is I have some fuse that may work to try and build one for next year res. thanks.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Dec 08, 2004, 08:20 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,747 Posts
The fuselage is 16" from the center of the wing rod to the tip of the nose. From the center of the wing rod to the center of the stab axle rod is 32". Total fuselage length without the rudder is 50". Those dimensions are from memory and I've been breathing rosewood dust... Hope that helps. The short kit is still available from Jancomodels.com. I'll measure #1 when I go downstairs and if the dimensions are wrong, I'll post the corrections.

Jack Womack
Old Dec 09, 2004, 01:01 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,196 Posts
Ahh thanks for the reply... I took a picture from here and use photoshop to estimate the size... I got:

nose to LE ~11"
wing is 10"
te of wing to te rudder ~ 30.5"

I don't have any fuse in that shape so I guess I'll have to get a short kit... thanks again... Awesome thread BTW....
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Dec 09, 2004, 04:17 PM
Tullahoma, Tn
Joined Apr 2002
439 Posts
The latest Hawk by Ben Cleveland (my Dad). Note the carbon capped ribs.

Don
Don C is offline Find More Posts by Don C
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:36 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
Don,

Interesting trailing edge..Can you get a closeup? Looks like plywood...

Flew Number2 yesterday. After a year, it's beginning to show some age. Got a sunburned face...Most of the lift yesterday was in the sun, it seemed.

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:58 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Joined Apr 2002
1,247 Posts
Don:

It looks like the bay width on section pictured changes (longer spacing) as you go from the inside end to the outer end. Is that an optical illusion or just my bad eyes?

EJ
Old Dec 12, 2004, 09:24 AM
Tullahoma, Tn
Joined Apr 2002
439 Posts
Alan, the TE on Dad's plane I think is balsa TE material (he's in Florida and I'm in Tennessee and I only have the pictures. I'll call and double check. What he did was scalop the TE. The spaceind is per print. The picture makes it look different.

Don
Don C is offline Find More Posts by Don C
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:28 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Joined Apr 2002
1,247 Posts
Ok guys. Time for some humor. Everyone got the chuckles out of my question on RC Groups about a RES Legend.

Now time for some turnabout. The lines of this ship look like it would make a very nice woody full house. Who's going to step up to the plate and take a swing at it?

AJ? Roland? Jack? SoCal? Tommy?