HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2004, 02:52 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
The Houston Hawk Project - Part 2

Welcome to Part 2 of Jack Womack's (schrederman) Houston Hawk Project.

Part 1 can be found by clicking here.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Last edited by Mauilvr; Nov 24, 2004 at 11:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:39 PM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
Thank you Ric
The Houston Hawk definitely deserves a continuation of the saga!
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Well,

What can I say? The Grand Esprit wannabe? Well, the WoodEagle is not really that, but it certainly will be a pod-and-boom type fuselage. I am not really fond of V-tails for anything but looks. For serious competition models, I doubt seriously that anyone can argue that a conventional tail is practical, stable and generally accepted as the best solution. Mind you, I didn't say that to start an argument. I actually like T-tails better than about anything, but then I'm a full-scale guy, too.

Some basic criteria for the Woodeagle...

Type - RES - XC
Span - 171"
Root Chord - 12"
Tip Chord - 8"
Winglets - YES!!
Wing Area - 1716 sq. in.
Airfoil - it's a secret
Length - 65"
Fuselage - Fiberglass/Kevlar(tm)/Carbon Fiber
Wing Attachment - Bolt on / 3-piece
Empennage - T-tail with optional conventional tail
Construction- Built-up surfaces with CF spar caps and composite fuselage
Weight target - 100 oz. with 64 oz. balast capacity
Objective - to have fun, what else is there?

The Cad plans are drawn, but the fuse has to be redone. I don't like the one that's there. I'm going to do the pod in a Bob Dodgsen type of taco shell arrangement, with a boom for the aft section. I'd like to find a tapered cf boom about 4' long tapering from 2.5" to about .75". I'll probably have to make my own...

Any interest out there in such a monster?

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:22 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Sounds VERY interesting, Jack. I suspect you will have to build the boom. I've looked at many sources of booms over the years and don't think I've ever seen anything even close to that.

I live close to ACP (Aerospace Composite Products). I'll talk to George and see what he has to say. He's built many custom products for many different industries (including lot's of stuff for RC applications) and I'm sure that if nothing else he'll have some ideas.

I suspect the WoodEagle is going to be so popular it's going to need it's own thread......
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Last edited by Mauilvr; Nov 24, 2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:07 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
WoW! 11 square FEET of wing? Make it blue, Jack. I like to sit under a blue colored shade.

Did I work it right? I get 8.39 oz/ft wingloading at 100 oz. What kind of spar are you using?

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:19 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
AJ,

It works out to 8.39 alright. It's just a scosh under 12 sq. ft. of wing. I may be able to make it lighter, but I'm not sure I want to do that. I don't want a feather to try to fly X-C. Spars will be somewhat like the Hawk, but thicker/stronger. Spoilers will be different, built-up, vertical-fence type that don't interrupt the ribs so deeply I need less work and more modeling time...

We'll start a page when I start this project. I'm planning a WileyHawk build for a really fun 100" model... Not everything is about competition...

Jack
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:43 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Is there a way to build this bird with ailerons and flaps? or Ailerons and spoilers combo? I was thinking of building this bird with ailerons at the wing tips to give it a better roll ability.
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Nov 26, 2004, 09:34 PM
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2003
106 Posts
Howdy Hawks

Moved my wife and our household goods to Atlanta this past week and finally got around to unpacking my sailplanes yesterday. The movers did a pretty good job of packing everything, my Hawk made it without a scratch.....unfortunately, my Avenger wing has a nasty crease in the foam and the outer right panel joint is broken. I will be back in DFW tomorrow without anything to fly However, I plan on treating myself to an early xmas present. I will be talking to Barry Kennedy about a "Blaster" next week.
I should be getting my moving package to ATL in the next couple of months. Until then my Hawk will sit in the closet dreaming of a thermal.

WOW Jack 1000+. Not bad for a little club project!

Happy Holidays to All
Larry
ace-shooter is offline Find More Posts by ace-shooter
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:00 PM
Santa Fe, Texas
Joined Oct 2002
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomi
Is there a way to build this bird with ailerons and flaps? or Ailerons and spoilers combo? I was thinking of building this bird with ailerons at the wing tips to give it a better roll ability.
AILERONS?!!!!!!!! FLAPS?!!!!!!!!!!!

BLASPHEMY!!!! BLASPHEMY I SAY!!!!!!!

Vince
Vince inTX. is offline Find More Posts by Vince inTX.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:01 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Ailerons? I can understand why someone might want to do that, until they flew it. This one will roll pretty well on the rudder. If all the dihedral is there, and the rudder is built the size it is on the plan, ailerons are just not needed. The wing is torsionally rigid enough to handle ailerons ok, but the D-tube sheeting will have to be uninterrupted to maintain that. Meaning that if you install servos, you'll need to keep them behind the spar. The other thing to consider, is to build a Legend, and stretch the inboard panel to 48". You will have just about the same thing. Enjoy it, please, whatever you decide to do. That's why we do this .... and if you build a Hawk with ailerons, keep us posted.

Jack
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:53 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Jack thanks for the reply and thanks for not being obnoxious. I know it flies great with just Rudder. But it would be cool to have ailerons. Ever see people fishing with their radio when they're trying to turn away from a tree or powerline? It doesn't happen often, just when the winds are blowing the direction that the tree or powerline is at. With ailerons you can help it turn even more to save you from trouble. That and normal flying too. Maybe in the future or something I might get into it. I've been watching the thread for a while. Love the way the plane looks. Just not too sure if I have enough hours to build the plane.

-Tomi
Old Nov 27, 2004, 04:54 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
"Just not too sure if I have enough hours to build the plane.

-Tomi"

This was my first build and I took 1 month after work to build it. The dang plane flies great. Flown it almost exclusively for a year and has taken a lot of punishment.

This one will become a classic.

AJ
Old Nov 27, 2004, 05:37 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Atlanta/Tullahoma contests

Hi Larry
I trust you have hooked up with Buddy and the Atlanta guys..? Don't pass up hooking up with them to our spring contest in Tullahoma..You would sure be welcome, and we have a good turnout, and a lot of fun..BCNU..Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace-shooter
Moved my wife and our household goods to Atlanta this past week and finally got around to unpacking my sailplanes yesterday. The movers did a pretty good job of packing everything, my Hawk made it without a scratch.....unfortunately, my Avenger wing has a nasty crease in the foam and the outer right panel joint is broken. I will be back in DFW tomorrow without anything to fly However, I plan on treating myself to an early xmas present. I will be talking to Barry Kennedy about a "Blaster" next week.
I should be getting my moving package to ATL in the next couple of months. Until then my Hawk will sit in the closet dreaming of a thermal.

WOW Jack 1000+. Not bad for a little club project!

Happy Holidays to All
Larry
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Nov 27, 2004, 08:10 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
When you work 11+ hours a day, 9am-9pm, monday-friday, it really sucks. hardly get to fly. Hardly get to build. You come home and you're all tired. I think I might be able to work some hours into it. Where's the website to order one BTW. I had it but lost the site. houstonhawks.org? can't seem to find the order page it was on there before..

-Tomi
Old Nov 28, 2004, 03:54 AM
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
http://www.jancomodels.com/hawk.html