What is siding trim?
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2004, 07:23 PM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Upstate New York-- Rochester, NY USA
Joined Oct 2001
732 Posts
The first sets I made a while back with regular aluminum roof flashing, but at the building supply store I found rolls of heavier duty white painted aluminum roll. The heavier material seems to work a bit better.... Both the aluminum flashing and this trim aluminum can be found in USA at Lowe's and home Depot

http://doityourself.com/store/9462847.htm

Hope this helps
Carl
crvogt is offline Find More Posts by crvogt
Old Nov 27, 2004, 05:50 AM
www.jmquetin.com
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Equerre centrer.

My two cents, as you say (in fact you will save 10 bucks or even more ).
More info on : http://jmquetin.free.fr/1indoor/tips9e.htm#wheele

Hope this help.

Jean-Michel.

Note: Should be center square or centring angle in English. You might find English/German/French translation of mechanical tool's names on : http://www.fohrmann.com/
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin
Old Nov 27, 2004, 06:41 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Now that is handy!
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:08 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Here is my vac former. It is an MDF box with a big hole for the vacuum cleaner hose and a small valve to adjust the vacuum should I want less. The platic holding frame is held together with bulldog clips and there are small tabs on the side of the box to help aim when you put it on the box over the plug.

I heat the frame with plastic in a little toaster oven till it droops then with gloves whack it on top of the plug and turn on the vacuum.

An easier way to make this is to just have the frame a fair bit bigger than the box, then you just slap it over the whole box.

Finally you can see an MDF plug that I CNC milled for a 44mm diameter prop along with mouldings and a trimmed moulding. Not tried the prop in practise yet, that is tonights task.

Graham
Last edited by Graham Stabler; Nov 30, 2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:09 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Here is the prop close up
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:31 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Fantastic tools! I really need to upgrade my sheet cutter with a sliding tray.

Graham - I have been looking for a toaster oven for composite stuff, where did you find yours?

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Nov 28, 2004, 06:27 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Josh, I got mine second hand although it seemed unused.

Graham
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:40 AM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Jul 2004
46 Posts
Here is a small vice (extra hands) made from a "C" clamp. Use vertical or horizontal. Crude, but it works pretty well.
Micro Nu Bee is offline Find More Posts by Micro Nu Bee
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:46 AM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Jul 2004
46 Posts
This is my Thrust tester. Take apart to store. Arms give a 2 to 1 leverage. I'm not sure I get an exact number, but it is good for comparisons.
Micro Nu Bee is offline Find More Posts by Micro Nu Bee
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:31 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2002
465 Posts
Hole drilling jig - I use it to drill straight holes in bamboo dowels to make prop hubs. Made from scrap balsa and ply and an aluminum tube, lined up with a simple square before gluing together. I can insert smaller alum tubes into the bigger tube to accept smaller drill bits for smaller holes.

Bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
Last edited by FFFlier; Nov 29, 2004 at 01:34 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 06:35 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Here is a hot wire tool I use for making rounded edges when bending acrylic sheet, but there is no reason why it can not be used for other thermo plastics and foam sheet. The plastic softens along a narrow strip and bends easily and very straight..

There is an aluminium liner in the slot, and the steel wire at one end takes up the slack in the nichrome wire when hot. I use 12V d.c to heat the wire. The wire should be kept at a distance of around 4 mm. from the upper surface.

Particleboard is not strong enough for this job, I suggest using hardwood. My jig cracked so I have to build a new body.

A 9 mm. heating slot acts quite well for making rounded edges in 3 mm. acrylic sheet, but for other materials this dimension may have to be modified for best results.

Best regards,

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Nov 29, 2004, 06:45 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
..and here is a balsa stripper I made of pine wood and a razor blade. It can't be as versatile as a variable balsa stripper, but you don't have to adjust it everytime you want to make a different size strip.. I have a set of strippers, so I rarely have to build a new one..

I use the older type razor bades that are thicker and brittle so they can be broken easily, but presumably the new blades can be used also..

The upper side shows a narrow strip glued to aid in holding the blade in place..

Bulent
Old Nov 29, 2004, 02:28 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Bulent, I love your line bender (as we called them at school), I have often thought of making one of these, great idea!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 04:59 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
Hi Graham,

I frequently use this tool, but mostly for acrylics.. Maybe it will work well for depron, I don't know as I can not buy the material in quantities less than 40 square meters here.. Could make 100 Bumps or similar..

I forgot to tell that the L shaped aluminium parts at the two ends of the line bender are genuine Piper PA18 parts removed from the wing. The hole in the middle once held one of the bolts on the wing I also have I sections aluminum spars from the PA18, the sheet in the mid section makes good landing gear (for engine models)..

Best regards,

Bulent