HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:00 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Overweight Formosa actually Flew!!!

Thanks to all who helped me get my first Formosa, first glass job, and first brushless motor use all done. It actually all came together today.
The 20.1oz beast roared into the misty skies with authority.......at least on the second attempt.
The first attempt didn't go too well. The elevator was too out of trim nose down and that's exactly where it went. Shattered the cowl pretty bad, holes all over it, split in 3 places, etc. I was about to call it quits, but thought, what the heck, put some tape around the cowl and tried again. Perfect flight! Got her trimmed out and she flew beautifully. My little 2025 motor and 1500 3s lipo just hummed. Flew mostly at 1.2 throttle, doing easy inside and outside loops. All acro except minimal knife edge. I flew for about 15 minutes and brought her in. The motor was at normal cool temp and the battery wasn't even warm. Only pulled about 9.5amps static anyway. I could get about 5 rolls going straight up before she slowed down...actually did a short bit of hovering. BTW...used APC 10x7E prop.
All in all, a good day except for the horrible cowl. I don't think I can repair it..too many small chunks missing. I hope to figure something out. I have seen others post here looking for cowls, canopies, etc. I don't suppose spare cowl are available????
Well...that's the maiden report. I appreciate all the help from everyone. Carlos....this one's for you...thanks for all the help and verifying my setup. It worked great.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:06 AM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
hey ken, what gearing are you using on your himaxx? i just burnt mine somehow using an 11x8 and the 5.33 (64 tooth) gearing

on my new one, i want to be safe from this happening again even if i do give up a bit of performance

congrats on your formosa

-David
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:10 AM
Flying Is Fun
Malaysia
Joined Sep 2004
456 Posts
Congratulations

Had seen people flying with the cup which is for instant noodles and also the bottom plastic bottle of a 1.5 liter coke. Of coz need some good imaginations.
Larren is offline Find More Posts by Larren
Old Nov 22, 2004, 01:07 AM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm real happy with the performance and especially how exact the Formosa flies...so straight!
Larren, thanks for the ideas. I know I am going to have to be creative with the cowl. Too many chunks are missing to make it nice again. I'll experiment and see what I can do. The plane looks too nice to have just anything up there!!!
David....I flew the Himax with the the blue Maxx gearbox. I used the installed 6.6:1 gearing, 10x7 APC E prop, Electrifly 11.1V 8C 1500mAh lipo. Everything stayed as cool as if it hadn't even ran!?!? I was only pulling about 9.5amps static. The plane was definitely not a speed demon, but also pulled with authority...easy 1/2 throttle loops from level flight. I know I can get more performance, but longevity of the motor is also important to me. Our field is not that large anyway.
How did you burn up your motor? I hope it didn't include the esc?
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2004, 01:10 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,217 Posts
My cowl looks much worse than that a lot of small pieces missing. I also need to make a new motor mount for my Typhoon 15..... Otherwise no real damage, which is amazing.
I am not saying what kind of a brain fade it took to achieve this.

I was thinking that I might get some transparent plastic material to hold the black cowl shreds together and leave it looking ragged.

PM
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 22, 2004, 03:31 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Wonderful! Congrats on your second attempt for a maiden!

That's interesting! Your cowling broke in several places but, my FORMOSA is not that lucky, usually the FUSE and wing cracks up and the cowling is intact! My Formosa cracked up it's way to 19 1/8 oz. !

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:49 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Yeah, the cowl is much worse than in the picture...you should see the other side!!!
The plane went out about 5 feet after my hand launch, then rolled hard left and nosed almost straight down. I don't know which was the louder thunk...the plane hitting the rain soaked field, or my heart sinking. The wingtip got a bit scraped, but other than that, just the cowl split all up. Maybe because I had fiberglassed the inside when I fiberglassed the plane? It appeared very brittle. I still haven't come up with a replacement yet...that seems a tough shape to follow. I have a huge, thick sheet of some type of very pliable foam up in the attic I saved for future model use. Maybe I could hollow something out and fiberglass it? It shapes very well, and resembles elapor type stuff. I got it from some packaging they used around some new simulator parts they were installing at my job...simulator instructor for the air force...the sheets are huge and about 4 inches thick. What a deal!!!
Anyway, that 10x7 prop really pulled well. I can't wait to fly it again. I'm going to order my son the same setup for his Mustang. I will post pictures of the stang soon. He has done a beautiful job. Now he's afraid to fly it because of what my Formosa did!
Thanks again,
Ken
Sneak preview........
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2004, 01:32 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,217 Posts
Currently I am eying an almost empty plastic bottle of cooking oil for cowl material....
That plastic is thin and it seems to bounce back after I press it. Just a few drops left before I can take it and try if it could work.

PM
Old Nov 23, 2004, 05:13 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
Ken,
Here's a cpmpany that sells replacement cowls.

http://www.allerc.com/

Phillip

Edit: Here's the specific page:

http://tinyurl.com/638d8
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
Last edited by Jimmy Hoffa; Nov 23, 2004 at 05:19 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:58 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Ken,

Luckly I have a local hobby shop that stocks almost every GWS cowling you can imagine! The name is J&B Hobbies in Orlando, Florida.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I have been working on my Garage and you all won't believe how much maintenance there is to keep up a fleet of these models, especially now that they are all in one place easily accessable.

Built up the shelving using 3/4" (1" outside diameter) PVC piping. Saved a ton of $$$ from the traditional adjustable metal shelving. I bought this house almost 2 years ago (December 12th, 2003) and it came with a 12 X 12 foot work shop area for those that come with a 2-car garage and finally making it useful.

Well, here's a couple of pic's and these are just the visible ones....
Old Nov 23, 2004, 12:42 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,273 Posts
Ken....

You have MORE than enough of that cowl left to repair it....
Put some Duct tape inside...fill in the missing holes with auto bondo or small pieces of fiberglass matting and resin....sand to shape and put a layer of cloth on the outside....

I have seen worse than that repaired......

as they use to say on the Million dollar man "We have the technology, we can make it Better"...

Glad to hear you got your maiden under your belt...and now that you made your one and only wreck...you can enjoy the Formosa.....

Guaopoman.....Your my Hero!!! Man you have quite a collection.... Are you married? My wife goes crazy when I have even a couple of a/c hanging arround.... She especially doesn't like my TM in the ficus tree in my office....but there it stays...!!!
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Nov 23, 2004, 08:07 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14
Ken....

You have MORE than enough of that cowl left to repair it....
Put some Duct tape inside...fill in the missing holes with auto bondo or small pieces of fiberglass matting and resin....sand to shape and put a layer of cloth on the outside....
Auto bondo is great! I had a 1991 Toyota Corrolla and one of the PLASTIC door handles broke from the inside assembly. Of course the Dealer wanted your first born or the bend down and say AHHHHAAAAAA routine I took it to a friend in a body shop and he introduced me to Auto Bondo and in less than 1 hour the broken peice was all well and door handle worked as good as new.

Fiberglass is good too.

Surely, if you want to save yourself with working on either product, you can always buy a new cowling.

Carlos
Old Nov 23, 2004, 08:11 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14
Guaopoman.....Your my Hero!!! Man you have quite a collection.... Are you married? My wife goes crazy when I have even a couple of a/c hanging arround.... She especially doesn't like my TM in the ficus tree in my office....but there it stays...!!!
After two "M" word Journeys I will not dare to try the Third Time is a Charm routine. I come and go as I please and make my days and nights as I please without calling anyone to explain or ask for acceptance. Being single is so refreshing. I have friends to go out with but no one leaves their models behind at my place, if you know what I mean
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:52 AM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Hey, thanks for the links to the cowls. I will think about it and see if I want to get creative or just go with a new one. I have used bondo many times in the past, so I know basically how to use it.
Carlos, you are definitely the modelling man!!! That is some collection. I suppose if I had my whole collection of every model I ever built I would have to buy an extra house to store them in. Unfortunately, the Air Force moved me too many times and I couldn't take them with me all the time. Now that I'm retired, I am starting to have a larger collection...and add my son's planes and I am in heaven.
I have to be careful how and where I store my planes though...the wife still owns some of the house areas??!!!??! She gives me the evil eye, so I just keep them out of her way. She's giving me the old yawn, I'm keeping her awake routine right now. My office is just off the bedroom and she can see my computer light and hear me tapping the keys! She knows she can't complain too much since I have to put up with her owning 3 horses. Lot's of money, mega time involved, and the constant horse**** residue everywhere!!!
I'll get to work on that cowl and get the Formosa back airborne. It just flies so darn well!!! We were busy setting up the Mustang's radio gear tonight, looks like it's going to be a winner once we get a new himax for it.
You guys have a great Thanksgiving.
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2004, 01:06 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,217 Posts
Here is mine:

I managed to put it on the table so that it looks like a cowl. If I take it in my hand, it is a spiral. I still want to try fixing it, just to see if I can. Besides, I doubt I can find a spare locally.

I took the picture with my phone.

PM