SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:21 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,986 Posts
AutoCad LT change line width?

I'm using AutoCAD LT '97'. Does anyone know how to increase width of lines in a drawing. I can increase each individual line if I change it to a polyline first, but that's way too much trouble for a complete drawing. I'll be darned if I can figure it out,... I've tried for a very long time now.
I've tried Format-Thickness, and I've tried Modify-Properties-Thickness, But the change doesn't shopw up on the screen or when printed (inkjet).
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2004, 01:13 PM
wintergarden-orlando florida/brighton england
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
i dont think you can i think you are right in that you can only change a polyline.
charlieuk is offline Find More Posts by charlieuk
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:21 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,986 Posts
That may be why I haven't been able to figure it out for the past 6 years
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:26 PM
USA, TX, Leander
Joined Jul 2001
811 Posts
I don't remember on LT but can't you set line width by layer? That's what I do on ACAD 2000.
Peteohms is offline Find More Posts by Peteohms
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:58 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,986 Posts
Success, finally. Pete, you got me going in the right direction. I couldn't find anything in Layers except color and linetype options, but there was an ISO Pen Definition for line width in "mm", but I couldn''t access it (shadowed out).

That rang a bell and I went to Print/Plot Configuration. There was a Pen Assignment option (that I never used before, because I don't have a plotter (but do have things plotted)). Anyway, in Pen Parameter I assign a certain color (or white/black) to a line and a pen width in thousands of an inch. The new line width doesn't actually show up on my screen (just the assigned color),.... but when I print it on my inkjet (and therefore when plotted) it prints in the desired width. >Finally!<

I suppose it's easier to do on the latest versions of AutoCAD LT, but I'd really rather spend precious money on electric model stuff. "LT 97" will work a little longer now. Thanks for the help.

My stuff: http://mysite.verizon.net/res7oqj1/index.html

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2004, 03:57 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Step by Step!

Now, pay attention 007

I only ever draw polylines, (which are "edible")

Draw one, then!

Either type <pedit> on the command line, or, better still...

Go to "View", click on "toolbars" and ....look at pic 1. ? Move your new box to an area "in the grey"

Press the button - look what you can get to do with your polyline

Opened a whole new world? LT 97 is ideal for the job and nothing more sophisticated is really needed for any model design work. Just explore!!

Now play!!

Ade

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Nov 22, 2004, 04:46 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Another Step!

No Step,

I've just re-read your post...

To SET your line width? First set your units (I use millimetres)

Click on the polyline button, or type "pline" on the command line. Follow the prompts.

If you want a constant width, make the start and endpoint the same (i.e. 0.2 and 0.2). From then on throughout the drawing, all polylines will default that width setting - until you change it on the prompts.

As you can see, you can also start a line at one width and end it at another. You can thus make a little solid triangle often used to point out the edges of, say, a fuselage sheet side

Is this what you wanted?

Ade
Old Nov 22, 2004, 05:21 AM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
Don't forget that you can join all the segments of a series of lines into a single polyline. This works in Autocad 2000 and up, not sure about LT97. For instance if you have drawn a wing from line and arcs, and you want the wing to be one solid line all the way around, you can type "pedit" select a line (any one in the wing), you will be prompted "object is not a polyline, would you like to turn it into one?" answer yes (default), then select "join" (type J) from the pedit menu. When prompted to select polylines to join, you can manually pick them all, or just type "all". Lines that aren't connected to your original line will be filtered out, and the rest will be joined into a single polyline.
Use "X" command (explode) if you want to convert back into individual lines an circles.

Another quick way to make a polyline from a closed loop (again like a wing or fuse that is fully closed) is to use the "boundary" command. Be sure it is set to create polylines, pick anywhere inside the wing (or whatever you want) and hit enter. AutoCAD will create a polyline based on the boundary that you defined.
If you want to move the boundary easily, type "M" for move, and when prompted to select objects type "L" for last object created. The boudary you made will be selected and you can move it without having to select it manually.
I hope that works in LT97!
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Nov 22, 2004, 05:59 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
It Works!

Yes, NewBerry,

It does, and its a useful command that I had forgotten about!

So, thanks indeed!

Ade
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:07 AM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,986 Posts
Ade, Newberry, tried all ways suggested, and they work, thanks very much for taking the time to explain. Probably the easiest way is just draw everything in 'Polyline' with the width desired.

Btw, for kicks, I downloaded the free trial offer of TurboCAD. It's too much trouble to relearn new terms in another CAD program ( obviously I've still got plenty to learn with LT 97). Besides, those TurboCAD icons are too hard to see. It's hard to take a step down from AutoCAD.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Nov 22, 2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:27 PM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Well Fred,

They are all there. Lamb, Beef, or Prawn. I'd make the best of what you have, and like.

They all seem to use the polyline + it's logical, digital principles!

Now let's see what you are drawing up!!

A
Old Nov 22, 2004, 03:38 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,986 Posts
Ade, we've chatted before about getting these drawings onscreen. So far, all I've been able to do is save it in .bmp format, open it in 'MS Paint', and save it as a .jpeg, then upload in RC Groups.

The cut/paste talked about earlier just would not go into my photo software re: post #27 > http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7&page=2&pp=15

I'm using a cheap photo software . "MS Picture-it" Maybe it's not up to the task.

It's the Piper Brave, http://mysite.verizon.net/res7oqj1/brave.htm

When I took my drawings to get plotted the lines were narrower than I wanted,..... now I know how to solve that problem.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2004, 03:53 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
I don't know if LT supports line widths like regular autocad, but you can change the lineweight in the layers properties to anything you want, and every line object on that layer will take on the new lineweight. You just have to make sure you have lineweight enabled for display or your thick lines will still look thin. A setting of at least .3mm is the smallest that will still look thicker than a standard line.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 04:00 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
Great looking build no step!

As a sidenote, I use a small utility to capture screen images from autocad and other programs.
Its called printkey and you can download it here: http://www.waynecountyschools.org/Em.../downloads.htm

Just save it, then run it. When you hit the printkey or printscreen key on your keyboard, the program will pop up. Click get rectangular area, then click and drag around the area you want to save as an image.
Then click image, save, in the menu. You'll have to set it to jpeg if that is the format you want.
Its been a handy tool for me.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:49 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,986 Posts
I down loaded it thanks,... playing with it,... here's wing, .. lets see how it comes out,......
RCG Plus Member