SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2004, 07:52 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Field box plans

Does anyone know of a source for field box plans? Preferrably something with a cradle? I've searched this forum using the key words "fieldbox" and "field box" to no avail.

Any help, or even good pix of a homebuilt unit would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:10 AM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid8r
Does anyone know of a source for field box plans? Preferrably something with a cradle? I've searched this forum using the key words "fieldbox" and "field box" to no avail.
The best source of 'field box' plans is from your own head and experience with what you like and dislike about the various totes and boxes you've seen and used.

I had several commercial types, and there were a couple of things I didn't like about each.

After a while, I just started lumping one together with all the things I wanted and without the things I didn't like.

These days my models all get purpose-built stands and cradles because of the diversity of the models themselves - no single stand or cradle works well for the range of models I have.

Ditto for 'flight boxes' and tool totes.

It took me several years to realize I was hauling a lot of tools to the flight line I rarely used, and the only thing I always used was the starter/fueler/ni-lighter.

Now I have a plain old cantilever fishing tackle box for tools and spare parts,
separate fuel/starter totes for glow and gas, and one large tool box with the rarely-used tools/parts/yada.

Most flying days, I haul the tool box and fuel totes to the pit area, but only the fuel tote goes any farther, with the tool box being largely ignored.

Dunno if that helps any, but I'd bet there are scads of hobby store 'field boxes' gathering dust because while they worked for the novices, a few years' flying saw the modeler building custom boxes and totes to suit their specific needs which the overly-generalized hobby field boxes could not meet.
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber