SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2004, 08:07 PM
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
What are the best upgrades for a Traxxas Blast?

Hey Guys,

What are the best upgrades for the traxxas blast that will not destroy runtime on 6 cells, but will make it faster?

Randy
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2004, 09:47 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,743 Posts
There are none. The reality is higher speed means less run time per battery pack. There are a few things that will help a little. Balance and sharpen the prop. Remove any flash from the prop and rudder units. Make sure that the prop and rudder units are smooth and true - no nicks or dings in them. Keep the drive train properly lubricated.

You could put in a hotter (faster) motor, and change to a larger capacity battery (1500 mAh to 2400 or 3000mAh).
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Nov 20, 2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:09 AM
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
What would be the best motor to upgrade to that the stock esc can handle?

Can the stock esc handle a Trinity Chameleon 2 Pro with water cooling kit installed?

If the stock esc can handle that motor would the Octura X432 prop be the prop of choice with that motor using 6 cell GP 3300 packs?

Thanks,
Randy
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:17 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
I'd say that a well balanced and polished metal prop is the one efective upgrade. The rest is up to your preparing and maintaining the boat well.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:08 PM
Longueuil, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
13 Posts
mod for blast

A friend of mine did instaled a prather p215 and a novak brusless it run on the prop he could not belived it
paul242 is offline Find More Posts by paul242
Old Dec 22, 2004, 03:38 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,914 Posts
A simple way to make the boat faster,is using a seven cell batterypack...

You may want to add watercooling to the esc and motor, as the extra cell will generate more heat.
Changing from the stock battery to a seven cell GP3300 pack, makes cooling imperative, as the longer runtime produces even more heat.

And as mentioned above, smoothen your drive train.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Dec 22, 2004, 04:03 PM
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
So is the stock esc proven to be capable of handling the 7 cells, as I have already put in a chameleon motor, water cooling to motor & esc and a prop for a nitro vee.

It is much faster and don't hardly even get warm running on a 6 cell gp3300 pack.

I would like to drop a 7 cell pack in it and see what it will do but I don't want to burn up the esc or the motor.

Do you think it will handle it?

Randy
Old Dec 22, 2004, 07:44 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3 Posts
You might want to try the Traxxas web site. They have a section for the Blast and Villain. We have a Blast and just got a Villain EX. So I will be tagging along to see what other ideas comes up here - cause I'm doing the same thing - looking for longer run times without cooking the motor/ESC.

Here is a link to their site:

http://monster.traxxas.com/index.php

Hope this helps -

Fuzz
Fuzzy56844 is offline Find More Posts by Fuzzy56844
Old Dec 25, 2004, 05:03 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfool
I would like to drop a 7 cell pack in it and see what it will do but I don't want to burn up the esc or the motor.

Do you think it will handle it?

Randy
As you've watercooled it all, I think it's safe to try seven cells, most ESC's have a bit of reserve in the Fet's that are used.
The motor will handle seven cells, provided the prop isn't too big to prevent it from revving out.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1 Posts
I have called traxxas when I first got my blast and the tech said, "That the Nautica esc 3010X can handle the 7 cell pack. but didn't think the motor (20 stinger) could. and that the pack would fit"
microfire600 is offline Find More Posts by microfire600
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:09 PM
Ca
Joined Feb 2008
1 Posts
I just bought a new Blast and i am not to happy with the speed. I called Traxxas and they said there is not much i can do to help it out. What motor can i install to speed it up and I know of there water cooling kit for the motor but how do i cool the ESC?

Thanks
MaxxRus08 is offline Find More Posts by MaxxRus08
Old Aug 23, 2008, 07:07 PM
Don't worry about it!
Raleigh NC
Joined May 2008
1,368 Posts
I've got a blast and it was pretty lame. I will be replacing the hardware with this:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...t-oc6str-130da

I am running a orion 15 turn double sv2 pro bb on 6 cells. As soon as i get money for the hardware and a new speedo, i will be making my blast the fastest out there.
j.m. is offline Find More Posts by j.m.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2009
47 Posts
I just bought some 3s Lipo batteries for my plane so i decided to try and run it in my blast. I was VERY surprised at how fast this thing would roll with that battery. It was going too fast one time and it flipped over on me, but i got really lucky and i guess the esc shorted out and the motor started goin WO and it barely crawled to the bank. This was the first time i had drove it with this battery. But after it dried up and i got it bak running. I took it out on the pond again, but this time after about 4 or 5 mins, the positive cable unsoldered itself off the motor. I soldered it back on and took it back on the pond and the same thing happened again. I know i am putting too many volts on the esc and everything. Could i put a water cooling kit on it and would this help?
wilsontrey94 is offline Find More Posts by wilsontrey94
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:08 AM
Joined May 2008
137 Posts
the motor is just getting to hot. you could try a smaller prop. and or you could get some small brass tubing and solder it to the tops of the brush holders thats what i did. it works real good. i had a pic of mine but its on my old comp. hope this pic helps!
larsob801 is offline Find More Posts by larsob801
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:27 AM
Joined Feb 2009
47 Posts
Darn if that aint one great idea. i have never heard of doing that but i will def try that. I know that would be so much better and run so much cooler!!!
wilsontrey94 is offline Find More Posts by wilsontrey94