HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2004, 09:22 AM
Joined Nov 2004
2 Posts
Question
54" Century Sea Maid

I'm building a 54" Century Sea Maid from Plans I got years ago from RC Boat Modeller. I'm almost at the point where I can install the deck planking. Do any of you know where I could get some large scale deck hardware? I have only come across hardware from http://www.sgcraft.com/

If you have any ideas to make hardware from kitchen hardware or whatever, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brad
68Brick is offline Find More Posts by 68Brick
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2004, 01:34 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
Mack model marine carrys somewhat fairly large brass fittings, i assume mostly for Dumas boats which they sell. They might have something big enough for your boat? Its might be worth a look at least.
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:31 PM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Brad, I also built the Sea Maid as well. I couldn't find any fittings for it as well. I haven't done this yet but I was planning on making fittings from styrene and molding them and then casting them from white metal. You can get the materials you need from www.micromark.com.
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Old Nov 24, 2004, 09:40 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2 Posts
Thanks for the options. Let me know how your boat goes. I should be done mine come the New Year. The only thing holding me back is the deck hardware and lights. I'll post a pic when complete.
68Brick is offline Find More Posts by 68Brick
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:42 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
There is a online place I go to get most of my parts. modleexpo-online.com, It'a in Florida, and the parts come u.p.s. I've been abale to get most every thing I need. I allway build from scrach. untill now. this is my first fiberglass hull.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:46 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
I have started useing alumilite to cast fittings for some projects. This of course after scratchbuilding them either in brass, aluminum, or styrene. What makes alumilite good is that it can be drilled and machined somewhat, with lower rpm. Your only other option may end up haveing to be soldered brass. K&S offers a wide range of shapes and sizes for say, building searchlights, mast's, etc. A soldering iron and a file may be your best friends for a while? lol....One thing in your favor here is that with such a large project, heavy top side weight shouldnt effect your performance at all? Best of luck.
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Jan 06, 2007, 09:35 PM
priest river, Idaho
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
Hello, I dug out my plans for the 54" century sea maid and I can't find the building book that goes with it, does anyone where I can get one or a copy of one? I don't remember where I bought the plans that I have because it's been so long ago. Thanks for any help on this.
harpman is offline Find More Posts by harpman
Old Jan 06, 2007, 11:44 PM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Harpman, Boy, I was shocked to see that I've replied to this thread a couple years ago. The plans that I bought a long time ago came with a two page article reprint. There is not much to the article that you couldn't find on the plans. Sorry, I don't have the article anymore. I built the boat once. Maybe there is something I can help you with?
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske