Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:55 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
What woudl be good on this? GYROPLANE

This little devil ( or its earlier model) used to fly at

3 ounces

on a GWS Direct drive with a cox viper prop, on 8 50 MAH nicads.

It had a gws Rx and ESC and 1 GWS servo.

The motor thats on it now probably wont pull it... I was thinking I can get the weight down... It is 15 grams with no motor.

If I can make 2 ounces with a 2 cell Lipo tht would be great...

power needs to be as close to 1:1 as possible

what brushless options are there ? any controller lighter than the CC 10?

here make it simple... its 15 ggrams empty.. what could go on it to keep it under 2 oz AUW with close to 2 oz thrust?
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:38 AM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
no suggestions!

ouch!
Old Nov 19, 2004, 01:39 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Jul 2002
204 Posts
I think the CC is the lightest on the market Jeti has smaller amp wise but it weighs more than the CC 10 amp. one thing a friend ( fwilly ) of mine does to save weight with all the components is replace the servo and esc wires with magnet wire which is coated so its insulated from shorts if they touch. As for what bl motor to use Im the wrong one to ask!

You may want to IM him Im sure he could answer many of your questions.

On another note do you have any drawings or close up pics of yout rotor head, I am plannung on building an autogyro too.
cfischer505 is offline Find More Posts by cfischer505
Old Nov 19, 2004, 02:39 PM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
The rotar head is very simple...

Its a Triangle cut out of a coffee can lid.

The blades are mounted to it with very small nuts and bolts. They are retty stiff in lead/lag but the flexible plasitic hub allows them to flap.

In the center f the hub is a hole in sch some very small aluminum tubing goes thru. I used CA and Micro Balloons to fix the Tube into the Plastic.. has held up thru many crashes and many years!

ITs as simpls as that.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 07:20 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Jul 2002
204 Posts
Hey Thanks... sounds like the K.I.S.S. system ... what did you use for blades?
cfischer505 is offline Find More Posts by cfischer505
Old Nov 19, 2004, 07:32 PM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
aileron stock hand shaven! I made one and then used a sanding block that shapes itsself to make the others.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 08:22 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Sep 2003
118 Posts
That is really cool. I have been looking for an indoor gyro for a while.
Do you have any drawings?
To answer your question, the CCP-10 is pretty light. Also, have you considered a CD rom motor? you could probably keep the motor under
1 oz.

Oz
ozzie111 is offline Find More Posts by ozzie111
Old Nov 19, 2004, 08:49 PM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
wel, the CC 10 weights 10 grams... thats abotu 10 x heavier than a 5 amp brushed ESC. I can get one of those that wighs 1 gram! I sure woudl like to have brushed performance/effeciency! But I take a large hit simply because of the controller with reguard to weight.

Yes, I have a CD rom motor, but its a little big. look at the pic.. that a KP00 on there!
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:40 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Autogyro

I have a friend up in NY who winds his own CD motors and flies exremely light 3D models. I will e mail him tomorrow about you situaition. He might have a suggestion for a very light weight controller for one of those motors. What is you rotor diameter. I am on my 3rd autogyro now, a scratch built Gyro Schtic from RCM plans, powered by a Nippy 400 using 2s 1500 Tanic LiPos, weight is 18 ounces with a 34" rotor disc. A truly great flyer. My first autogyro was a Cervia C4, OS 40 powered, and it flew great also. Second one was a converted Lazy Bee. I myself have been looking for an indoor autogyro, so please keep me informed as to you progress. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:40 AM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
rotar diameter is 13 inches... shooting for AUW under 2 ounces.. although I KNOW it will fly at 3, it needs a lot of powere ( 3 oz thrust) I think it would be more fun if made really light!
Old Nov 20, 2004, 07:39 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts

It is very true that on Autogyros the disc loading be as low as possible,and that equates to lighter model weight. I will send Lloyd an e mail about the lightweight speed controllers he uses and let you know what he says. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith