HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2004, 09:38 PM
average user
Joined Jun 2004
384 Posts
It lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( no pictures sadly )

I designed a balsa FF plane for my personall slope near a lagoon here in california and it works.... really well too... heck, who needs thermals?? I dont anymore... 8 minute flight on the slope.. It just went higher and higher and higher... then something odd happened, just as It was rising It suddenly did this crazy flip thing and dived straight into the edge of the hill... but it was pretty cool watching it rise up and up and up for a very long time... and tommorow I'll go back and do it again!!!!
have any of you tried this?
mr.zagi5c is offline Find More Posts by mr.zagi5c
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2004, 08:20 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Sounds like you hit the trim perfectly for that flight, but when it finally hit the edge of the rotor (well up there, but the vertical element of the wind kinda rolls off the top, bedoming "down" air) it was also perfectly trimmed for vertical flight!

I played with this for awhile a long time ago with storebought gliders, and it does take some fancy trimming alright. Don't quit...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:13 PM
average user
Joined Jun 2004
384 Posts
I had a little fun with paper airplanes today....http://www.paperplane.org/ It was that little plane that the guys holding... I tossed it off and it flew alright but smashed into the side again.. then I gave it left rudder and it smashed into the side......again... THEN I just got fed up and gave it tons of right rudder and tossed it off It just rolled over and over and over then rising in the lift not diving or anything!!!!! It got about 20 feet up above the hill and then... it died.. I dont know how the heck it stayed in the lift for that long when it was just spinning.... but WHO CARES!!!!! it was awesome....
mr.zagi5c is offline Find More Posts by mr.zagi5c
Old Jan 01, 2005, 10:04 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
so you are throwing a handlaunch glider off of a slope?smart, thanks, ryan
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
Old Jan 01, 2005, 12:23 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
This guy sounds like a candidate for introduction to magnet gliders. It is still practiced in Europe, and the competitions are quite elaborate; properly trimmed, these things will stay at the edge of the slope indefinitely, using dts to bring 'em back alive. Sometimes they set up a target on the far side of the valley, and try to hit it with the model (after what looks like a couple of miles of flying). Involves a lot of healthy walking up and down valley walls, if you need an exercise regimen...
Old Jan 01, 2005, 04:54 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
it's called F1E they use magnets and com passes to steer them selves into the wind at all times. thanks, ryan
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
Old Jan 03, 2005, 08:20 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
heh, you would know ryan... being that your dad is who he is and all.. but anyways, I have been having good success doing this and can get my plane to fly in a nice gentle circle right on the edge of the slope, but after a minute or so the plane gets blown back far enough to lose lift.
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Jan 03, 2005, 10:16 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
That's interesting, quite a challenge. Could be that with careful application of ballast, the weight of the model would balance the lift on the slope. Flights could get fairly long, if the wind is constant...