SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:55 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Now that I can fly my Stryker, I have ?????

Ok I just flew two more packs through my Stryker tonight and so far I really like this model BUT!!!!!. Flight times are less then ten min at 1/2 to 3/4 power with short full power bursts. Also it is not quite as quick as I was hoping. Although it is fairly quick and handling is great I think it could be a tad quicker. I plane on leaving the stock system in place btu would like to upgrade performance just a tad. I am hoping that if I can increase speed a bit then I can backoff and have slightly longer run times.

Maybe a non lipo type battery upgrade??????? Any ideas here on other 8.4 volt packs that can help me out??????? How about a different prop to go with these batteries???????

Oh I am flying it in mode B with the control rods moved down one hole to increase throws. It does not seem to overly sensitive and I perfer the way it handles at these settingings. I love buzzing low to the ground just above the tall grass. Mind you I do not fly like this anywere but out over grassy fields in the country. When I fly at parks I keep it up in the air and watch carefully what is going on in the air and around me.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2004, 09:26 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
When I fly at parks I keep it up in the air and watch carefully what is going on in the air and around me.
That's always a good idea !.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:49 PM
Inverted Electric Flyer
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Jan 2004
525 Posts
Going to a different non lipo battery is going to be hard, as you increase voltage in your NiMH battery, you're adding weight as well. It's quite a balancing act.

You will get both more time and more power if you go to lipo's. Unfortunatly, a 2100 TP costs about 70 bucks and then you'll need a charger (cheap ones are about $50). It's a really good boost, and then later on, you can switch out the stock motor with a brushless.

The downsides? Your motor will have reduced life. How much? depends on how hard you push it. I've been runing lipo's in my brushed slowstick for a long time and it's still flying great. Cost is another big factor

The Benefits? Double your flytime, and more power to boot
tmproff is offline Find More Posts by tmproff
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:31 PM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Wish I had the same luck...with my Lipo, and stock setup the speed control heats up pretty quickly and I get intermittent control for a few seconds until it cools off...even with holes in the cover for cooling. Advice with Lipos on a stock setup...run it at half power and just 'goose' the throttle when you want to get some speed/altitude quick...otherwise you can also smoke the Lipo or the speed controller.

Rat...are you using the 8 cell? I get about 8-10 minutes full throttle with that.

-Chuck
ChuckD is offline Find More Posts by ChuckD
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:07 AM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
How many flights do you have so far? It takes 5-10 charges for a NIMH to reach its full potential.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
Old Nov 19, 2004, 05:27 AM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
I will not be going lipo for quite some time. I will stick to the Nimh batteries for a while since that is the safer bet. I just feel that there has to be a better 7 cell 8.4 volt battery out there then the ParkZone/HobbyZone batteries.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 08:35 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Well I purchased another charger last evening to see if the problem was in the charging of the bats. I purchased a Dynamite Vision Peak Ultra, this charger is capable of charging Ni-Cd Ni-Mh and 1-3 cell Li-Po. I will give this a shot and see how it goes.

Any other ideas??????
Old Nov 20, 2004, 09:38 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,819 Posts
I know almost nothing about mod'ing a plane (being a newbie), but I do remember people saying a different prop than the stock one in the slo-v made a big difference. Maybe someone can chime in with a suggestion?
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Nov 20, 2004, 09:56 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
The Slo V works real well with a GWS 1180 prop and the 7 cell battery pack from the parkzone J3 cub. I would not mind finding a better prop for my Stryker.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 09:59 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Now that I have a aftermarket charger, I will be buying the 8 cell pack for the Stryker to give it a try.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:16 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
8 cells, Kan 1050, CBP 1050 or GP1100 will make a substantial difference. The CBP packs are about $20 a pop and quite worth the money.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:42 AM
Cancelled Account
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Rat,

Have you adjusted the elevons for more 'throw' in the turns? It turns the stock STRYKER rolls into out and out CORKSCREWS...too fun.

I, too have the Dynamite Charger... same one...quick charges also seem to knock off a minute or two. I will charge the 7 cell at about 1amp and the 8 cell at 1.10 amp if I have the time.

I have Three NIMH packs; a guy I know has 5....that way you get '20-30' minutes with a few pit-stops.

Keep us updated.

--Chuck
ChuckD is offline Find More Posts by ChuckD
Old Nov 21, 2004, 06:18 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined May 2003
448 Posts
Rat - just a thought never charge hot NiMh batteries or they will false peak - i.e. won't take on a full charge.

Graham
eSmasher is offline Find More Posts by eSmasher
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:48 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZiplok
8 cells, Kan 1050, CBP 1050 or GP1100 will make a substantial difference. The CBP packs are about $20 a pop and quite worth the money.

= Mike

I have found the CBP/KAN cells to be OK for a speed 300, but they don't hold their voltage too well on anything larger. OTOH, the GP's are strong enough to run a 4 turn Mega (at 23 amps) without any problems. The GP's are more $$$, but if you intend at some point to go BL, upgrading now would keep you from buying battery packs twice and save $$$ in the long run.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:35 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
FC,

You're very much the odd one out then; I have lots of KAN/CBP cells and have used them for a wide variety of applications. They're at their best in the 10-12A range, which is spot-on for 400-size motors.

Are you sure you're not confusing these with the KAN 650? I've run the CBP1050's at 20A, and while they're not really happy there, they still put out.

You're right of course about the GP's; they're definitely the better cell. Much more expensive though, and if you intend to go Lithium at some point may not be a good investment after all.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok