Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:39 AM
wintergarden-orlando florida/brighton england
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
is there a cnc milling service or can some one help.

im looking for someone to be able to mill me some metal molds to make micro heli blades.they are only 260mm or 10" long and only about 5 mm thick and simetrical. i would be after the mold being in two parts and mabe having it so that i can make a pair at a time.i only need the basic milling done i can do the finishing of. if any one could point me i the right direction that would be great.im posting on here cos you all seam to know alot about the subject.thanks
charlieuk is offline Find More Posts by charlieuk
Last edited by charlieuk; Nov 19, 2004 at 04:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:15 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
why metal? Are you planning on injection molding these blades?
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:29 PM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
no i just wanted a realey solid mold that wouldnt twist and that would last and thorght it would probably be the way forward.what did you have in mind?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:48 PM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jun 2004
596 Posts
If you're handy with CAD you might want to investigate
http://www.emachineshop.com

They specialize in small order stuff. I'm not sure what all processes they have available, but you might give it a try.
mwraight is offline Find More Posts by mwraight
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:36 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,266 Posts
You will need a part file in a format a machine shop can process. Your file should be of the actual mold. Go to a machine shop that has a 3 axis mill large enough for your tool. Give them the file and ask for a quote. While you are waiting for a call make sure you have a chair next to the phone, so you don't hurt yourself when you get the price. Repeat until you find the best price.

It won't be cheap, and make sure you specify surface finish. You will still need to polish the mold after you get it from the machine shop.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Nov 20, 2004, 04:44 PM
Rotherham, UK
Joined Dec 2003
186 Posts
I would cast your mold in Devcon. I machine blue wax masters then take cast's from them. My cnc machine only has a capacity of 8"x6", so too small for your blades. Think about making two half blades then bond them to a glass plate, build a dam round them and cast in devcon or fibre glass... It'll be so much cheaper than metal moulds. I make small alloy molds for my injection molding rig, but again it's capacity it 8" max, and the molds are "EXPENSIVE"...

Joules
Joules is offline Find More Posts by Joules
Old Nov 21, 2004, 02:04 AM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
thanks joules for that but whats devcon ive never heard of it thanks charlie?
Old Nov 21, 2004, 06:48 AM
Rotherham, UK
Joined Dec 2003
186 Posts
Devcon is a very tough epoxy, sometimes loaded with metal particles. It can be used for mold making. I have used it in molds for my injection moulder, it's OK for short runs.

http://www.cromwell.co.uk

check out this link and type "devcon" in the catalogue search in the top left corner of the page.

Check out the, plastic steel liquid. Another alternative is to use JB weld, but this is only in small tubes.

Joules
Old Nov 21, 2004, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
looks like good stuff any idea how far the 500gm will go and does it come with hardener?thanks
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:16 AM
Rotherham, UK
Joined Dec 2003
186 Posts
You should be able to find out the volume of the product, then get a jug of water to that volume and fill a container the size of your mould to see how much is used. The product comes with hardner, as far as I know, I never bought it in single quantities, only as a set.

Search the net for Devcon epoxy, to find out the volume, I don't know it's density, or I could have calculated it for you.

Joules
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
thanks