HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:30 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Peter Rake 36" Sopwith Camel plans in Dec FSM

As the title says, just thought I'd let you all know that the December edition of FSM has plans of Peter Rake's 36" Sopwith Camel for Speed 400. The article build is done by Gerald O'Docharty and looks very nice.

Chris
Goodychrischild is offline Find More Posts by Goodychrischild
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:26 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Oh, must get that one and see how Peter did it!

From perosnla experience, camles have three great secrets

Nose weight
Nose weight
Nose weight.

Probably worth sticking in a long can and running it at lower power, than a 400, just for that reason alone!
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:05 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,490 Posts
Gents,

As you know already, Gerald is not only a superb modeller, but also a moderator in the vintage forum too. I'll prod him with a PM and see if we can get the lowdown on this model!

BTW a quick search yields a buildthread from last year;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97360

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
91 Posts
Howdy one and all:

The latest addition at my LHS is September. Help!!!

jim
majorglory007 is offline Find More Posts by majorglory007
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:44 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Majorglory007, Don't be upset, the last issue I was able to get here at my LHS is the July issue. I sure don't understand this situation but I sure wish the distributor of FSM would improve on their customer service. I have been anxiously awaiting the issue with the Waco biplane and the SE5. Now the Camel. THIS IS PURE TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:48 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I haven't been around, but I will pick up several issues If I find them.

On Humanitarian grounds.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:37 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,630 Posts
Our issues on this side of the pond are not dated. The latest has a DC-3 on the cover. Which month is that?

Pete G
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Nov 18, 2004, 01:15 PM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Pete et al,

HERE is a page showing details of the latest issue and if you click on 'Back Issues' you can see some of the old front covers and see what month they were, however it's not fully up-to-date and I don't think your copy is on there yet!

May be of some use though,

Chris
Goodychrischild is offline Find More Posts by Goodychrischild
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:30 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,630 Posts
You are right. "Back Issues" are only listed up to August 2003 so everything from September 2003 through the December issue is in "limbo."

The quantities over here vary greatly, too. I saw only one copy of the issue with Peter's SRE plan in it at the newstand and never saw that issue come into the local hobby shop [they usually show iup there about 2 weeks later].

So I will keep my eyes open in both stores. Thanks for the alert.

Pete G
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:10 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
If MAP ever got their distribution straight I'd subscribe to FSM. Too bad. Imagine tho, if we didn't have this forum we here on this side of the pond would never know that we were missing out

Yes, I have yet to see the issue that my plane is in. Ironic that I will see the article after the dreaded event.

I did get the issue with the SE5 in it tho. That was the plane that got me started looking at Rake's stuff. Now I guess I'm hooked

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:41 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Oh, must get that one and see how Peter did it!

From perosnla experience, camles have three great secrets
Nose weight
Nose weight
Nose weight.

Probably worth sticking in a long can and running it at lower power, than a 400, just for that reason alone!
I have a better strategy: Light Tail!
Then shift all the gear as far forward as possible.
This Camel balanced perfectly with the speed400 motor and no additional nose weight with the battery positioned just behind the firewall.

I did eventually switch to the long can black 400 motor though after I burned up the regular 7V 400 while flying too long with a 3-cell lipo .
With the long can and the lipo the power and duration is as much as I could want.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:51 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim hooper
...I'll prod him with a PM and see if we can get the lowdown on this model!
tim
Thanks for the "Heads Up" on this Tim! I've been waiting to hear about it . Hard to believe it's been nearly 2 years since I started on it.

I guess since its gone to print I'll be free to 'divulge' more about the model now . Will be happy to answer any questions or share additional photos.

I hope a can get one of the kindly RCGroups members to pick up a copy of the issue for me if they come across it on the newsstand.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 07:04 PM
Joined Oct 2004
91 Posts
Wow:

That plane is a thing of Beauty!!!!! I can only aspire to such greatness. It must have given you such enjoyment to create something so outstanding. I applaud you.

Jim
majorglory007 is offline Find More Posts by majorglory007
Old Nov 18, 2004, 07:08 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Thanks Jim! It's really just a model though, not a measure of greatness (compliment graciously accepted though).
Old Nov 18, 2004, 07:15 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,304 Posts
Sure makes me wish I could get my subscription! I've received only 4 issues since I paid for a years worth in January. Numerous e-mails don't seem to help. They have a real problem but that didn't stop them from sending me a renewal notice! It was right on time. Beautiful plane Gerald.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans