195 Posts
Yippee!
Multiplex EasyStar Thread 13 - Epic Adventure

Dear Forum.

Please find continuation here

Previous Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290961
superboss is offline Find More Posts by superboss
Last edited by superboss; Nov 17, 2004 at 10:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:38 PM
Opel Superboss, The Car!
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2004
195 Posts
ESC and Battery Connectors for Newbies

Hi there Newbies

Dont make same mistake I did.

I made my ESC have a Female connector as that seemed like the right thing to do, looked neater and safer that way. However that means I had to put male connectors on my battery packs. Big mistake.

Basically if the ESC doesnt have a power touching the positive and negative together should have no impact. However touching a fully charged battery packs positive and negatives together are bad news. It happened to me, I was carrying an extra battery pack and my car keys together and the car keys made contact with the connectors and I saw a big spark fly.

The battery pack got slightly warm, and I did fly the pack and charge it twice, there appears to be no damage and flying time is the same.

Can somebody confirm that my NICAD pack could still be ok? or will it be damaged and should I replace it for sure?

Thanks

Supe

ps. WOW thread 13
superboss is offline Find More Posts by superboss
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:56 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,505 Posts
What the .......

You mean that my Grandson's picture got left behind in thread 12 ???

Oh, well, He'll understand!!

Paddy, don't forget to log on here .... We'll miss you ... (AGAIN)!!

Russ and ALL

P.S.

SuperBoss ... I like that "EPIC ADVENTURE" Line !!!
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MiniBoy; Nov 17, 2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:15 PM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
ANSWER to SU JAGS question on P.33 of the last thread.

Just fit a Graupner 6x3 or Robbe 6 x 3.5 folding prop, but modify it like this.

Above shows a Robbe, but the mod is the same for the Graupner.

Pic of mine. Cheers. Paddy.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:19 PM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
THANKS RUSS.

It's nice to know that someone misses you.

Paddy.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:25 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,505 Posts
Paddy:

You are very welcome, you "Old Pilot"

Signed,

Old Phart
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:19 AM
Rejisterd Youzer
Rolla, MO
Joined Apr 2004
935 Posts
Thanks, but does the motor have a 2.3 or 3.2mm shaft?
SU Jags is offline Find More Posts by SU Jags
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:29 AM
I Crash Often
n/a Posts
Have any of you ever tried to put together a Cargo??
Is it just me or does nothing fit together right?
I would like to sell it if someone wants it.
$150 plus shipping.
I havent glued anything together yet.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 01:07 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
SU Jags, the stock speed 400 has a 2.3 mm shaft. tt
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Nov 18, 2004, 01:37 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Got my EZ* on monday and started planning how to work the extra wire engine mod that was presented to me in thread #12. Got that figured out. I put a Deans Ultra on the back of the wire in the engine pod, widened out the groove (putting one on the opposite half as well) and putting connectors for the ESC on the front of the wire in the cockpit compartment. Now I just have to pull the wire out, connect the motor, and pull it back from the other side and it snugs right into a recess in the pod that I melted in with a soldering iron. It seems to be a good mod. I don't have a ton of spare wire in the pod now and airflow isn't restricted to the motor to maximize that top scoop.

The Super 400 Cobalt fits in perfectly, and I only melted flat some of the 'lands' over the air inlet section of the motor to maximize the air through the motor. I also put 3 little tabs of velcro (only the loop side) on the motor to block the grooves, which forces the air through the motor. All in all, it turned out pretty well. I secured the motor with 4 tabs of hot melt glue. The motor doesn't move a bit. The 6x3 Master Airscrew BARELY clears the rear boom so I'm probably going to melt a little area there and put in a small plate of thin lexan to protect it from any potential prop strikes. Lexan is about the toughest lightweight stuff I know of.

I've got the reciever mounted, now to do the servos tomorrow and finish up the empennage. I'm thinking of holding the wings together with 2 small cobalt magnets that came from a dead Super 400 Cobalt that I have. I see some people using velcro but in a horrific cartwheel style wreck I think I want the wings to fly off to save them and that likely won't happen with velcro. I'm just concerned that the magnetic field might interfere with the reciever. The magnets would be about halfway between the motor and receiver but I don't know if they are powerful enough to really bother either. Anyone venture a guess here?

Other than that, she's looking really good. I'm thinking of trying a 3p setup of Multiplex 1500 7.4v Li-Poly batteries. The front is so roomy that it almost begs for a 3 parallel setup! Could probably fly for nearly 40 minutes at WOT on that!

I'm getting excited but I'm trying to be really patient and build this slowly. I've already made one mistake I'll have to compensate for. When gluing the halves together I let the CA harden so fast at the rear that the halves weren't perfect left to right and the tail is about 3/16th out of true longetudnial 'straight' in the back. I think I can bring it back to true using the elevator sleeve cover. It will be a little bit of a challenge to get it right.

Thanks to all in this thread on pointing me to what promises to be a fun plane!
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Nov 18, 2004, 01:42 AM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
Paddy..... what is this ?????

thanks for the drawing and photo..

Jack

Dumb Questions are not stupid... Just earier to answer
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old Nov 18, 2004, 01:51 AM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
JACK,

It's a "Prop Prop", made from a stir stick or a piece of scrap plastic. It stops the folding prop blades from folding back past the centreline.

On a plane with the prop in the front the fuselage does that. But when the prop is configured as a pusher there is nothing to stop one of the blades from folding over centre, from where centrifugal force holds it folded on startup, with dire out of balance consequences!!!!!

You can see it here. Hope this helps. Paddy.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:09 AM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
725 Posts
Sloping

That sloping site is called Kilcunda Ridge. It is about a 90 minute drive from home and is a high ridge parallel with the coast on a small peninsular dividing Bass Strait from Westernport Bay. The water in the previous photo is Westernport Bay.

This photo was taken on a Southerly so it is looking south over Bass Strait towards Tasmania, about 100 km away. The other photo is of "The Usual Suspects", hanging out, sloping and generally being cool!

This day Loopy's Eraser 48", the middle, red and yellow one in the Burning Rubbers photo, flew 6 hours without landing, and that was its maiden flight!!! Fantastic lift on a southerly because there is nothing to disturb the wind for 100 km!

This site works on a Southerly, Northerly and Northwesterly. We have others that work on different winds.

Supe

Your pack should be OK, just keep an eye on it and make sure it takes a fulkl charge. DON'T do this with LiPo's, they really, really don't like it! Your pocket might explode! Not a good place to have an explosion, especially if you are wearing the pocket at the time!!!!!

Cheers

David
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:12 AM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
SHAUN.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiam but a 2S3P 1500 Li Poly (4500mah), is a bit heavy for the EZ* and you will find your performance quite uninspiring.

To start with you never fly around at WOT all the time. In fact the EZ* flys best at 3/4 throttle on a 2S2P 1200 and will fly for 35 mins with throttle management. As a rule of thumb, it has been shown in these threads that the heaviest battery you can use should not weigh more than 180gm without degrading the performance. I am using a Tanic 2S1P 2500 now as it gives pretty much the same power as an E-tec 2S2P1200 (2400mah), but is lighter, and the gliding and thermalling performance shows it.

With a super 400 Cobalt you can handle a 3S battery for better performance, but you may need a 12-15 amp ESC.

Just my thoughts. Cheers. Paddy.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:23 AM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
725 Posts
2nd photo

Here is the second photo
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Closed Thread