HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2001, 09:30 PM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
x250...not fair!!

Hi there, I wanted to buy the x250 sooo bad but I'am one of those that don't know how to build kits/or do covering!!! How can I get this all covered up AKA ARF? Will they ever sell this ARF in the future? It's not fair!!!
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2001, 09:33 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You can build an X250. The instructions are very detailed, and the kit is a dream to build as long as you follow the instructions. Covering is another matter, but there are videos and instructions available. It's not that hard.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 18, 2001, 09:41 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
743 Posts
If you've never built a plane I can't think of a better one to learn on. The instructions are the best I've seen and help is a phone call away by just calling SR Batteries. Larry and Steve are both experienced modelers and can point you in the right direction.
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Apr 18, 2001, 09:46 PM
EB NM
Joined May 2000
234 Posts
tnsfk,
Given where you live, there must be a club or flying field where you could ask for some help. Most modelers are glad to share their experiences. Its part of the hobby, and they learned somewhere. If you like to fly, learn to build. The rewards are something you will never regret.

Tom
redbaron is offline Find More Posts by redbaron
Old Apr 18, 2001, 10:08 PM
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Thanks a bunch, Andrew, Greg and Redbaron for the advise!! I've flown mostly electrics like the Kyosho ferias and the Hawk from wattage but wanted to try something with ailerons and the x-250's craftmanship is first class from the looks of it-and awesome in red! I just don't wanna get stuck with something I can't finish bec. I'am new to ki building/covering.
Old Apr 18, 2001, 10:26 PM
Want more time to fly!
Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2000
179 Posts
tnsfrk, I was in the same position as you before last Christmas...flew a bunch of planes, all foamies, but never built one myself from scratch. Well, Santa left me an X250 kit under the tree.

I stared at it for a while...considered if I was up to the task...and finally dove into the deep end. Right off the bat I made a BIG, stupid mistake (keep this in mind: it's a LOW-WING airplane!), but I called Larry and bought the necessary parts to get back on track.

I assembled the fuse in about three easy nights, being very cautious not to bonehead it again. I tackled the wing in about two nights, being careful to space the ribs correctly. All in all, the instructions were thorough and precise, and the building was actually easy 90% of the time (get odorless CA to do the job; the smelly stuff can really make your eyes water.)

I was terrified of covering this plane...I figured there was no way I could do it without screwing up royally. Well, I was wrong...it's no work of art, but it's almost pretty! The wing was challenging but doable; covering the solid parts was actually easy!

I haven't flown it yet; that'll come the first week of May, I think, but I just can't wait! I am SO happy I went this way, and about the only thing that could "harsh my mellow" would be reducing the plane to splinters. But I'm really not too worried about that; everyone else can fly it, so why can't I?

Hope this helps -

BAJ
videographer is offline Find More Posts by videographer
Old Apr 19, 2001, 12:01 AM
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Now you're really scaring me BAJ! You mean assembling this rib by rib and then covering it on top of that? Noo way!! You mean looking at a plan? I try to stay away from these and going for ARF planes because "it won't hurt as much" if I crash it because not much effort to assembling those are spent to it! I'am pretty sure I can fly it because I've flown something a little similar-Kyosho ferias with a geared 480 motor and micro servos-it flies light and really fast but no ailerons! I wish I can buy it as it looks in the picture!! Thanks guys but I have to give my self a raincheck on this one!
Old Apr 19, 2001, 01:16 AM
heli on the brain
Apple Valley/Victorville, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
544 Posts
No guts, no glory!!! Just look at it this way,it'll be fun, and most of all, you'll be learning at the same time.
dezflyer is offline Find More Posts by dezflyer
Old Apr 19, 2001, 04:17 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Building and covering is actually pretty easy once you get the procedures down, and the results are very rewarding. If you really want becaome a TRUE model aircraft enthusiast, you will learn how to do this. ARFs are great for an initial foray into the hobby but, after a while you'll just look like some dorky-geeky overgrown kid that likes to play around with toy airplanes.
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old Apr 19, 2001, 05:24 AM
Hatboro Pa. USA
Joined Jan 2001
346 Posts
Send it to me I will build it for you for 125.00+ shipping
Dave
Capt. Dave is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Dave
Old Apr 19, 2001, 05:56 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tempest411:
Building and covering is actually pretty easy once you get the procedures down, and the results are very rewarding. If you really want becaome a TRUE model aircraft enthusiast, you will learn how to do this. ARFs are great for an initial foray into the hobby but, after a while you'll just look like some dorky-geeky overgrown kid that likes to play around with toy airplanes.

Here we go again

No flames intended but to everyone other than modellers we ALL look like dorky-geeky overgrown kids playing with toy aeroplanes. The man-on-the-top-deck-of-the-Clapham-Omnibus doesn't differentiate between the X250 that one built oneself and the Skyskooter that one shook the box of and which flew out by itself virtually complete. To him they are all Toy Aeroplanes. Anyhow why should anyone care what others think they look like ? IMHO you should do the hobby for yourself- not for what anyone else thinks.

Don't get the idea that you are not following the One True Path by not building or designing your own or from kits - everyone has a different line where they draw what The One True Path is. Most usually stop short of growing your own balsa and distilling your own CA but the variety of opinons range all the way up to having a model already switched on placed into your hands at the flight line (or even hand launched for you so that you don't even need to touch it - just fly!!! .

The X250 certainly looks like a quality kit tnsfrk, which means that building really might not be as difficult as you may think- especially with such a well designed and implemented kit. Covering is a slightly more difficult skill to master but if you are competent enough to make a tidy job of installing gear in an ARTF model you'll probably be competent enough to build and cover such a kit.

Like videographer *almost* said - it's a low winger so DONT install the aileron servo in the bottom of the wing (don't ask me how I know this it was a long time ago and it was MY first low winger).

Failing that maybe you can find one second hand - some chance - or get someone else to build it for you for cash or favours.

cheers

Brian

[This message has been edited by leccyflyer (edited 04-19-2001).]
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 19, 2001, 08:11 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
leccyflyer,

I hate to break this to you but the aileron servo in the X-250 IS in the bottom of the wing! If I had to guess, I'd say videographer's "BIG, stupid mistake" was not making a left and right fuselage side?

Anyhow, back to the thread topic. The X-250 kit is so well engineered, the instructions are so clear and thorough, and the laser cutting is so precise that I almost felt guilty building it. As I've seen posted elsewhere on this kit, it's almost as if you could shake the box, open it up, and out pops an airplane.

Go for it...it's a great flier and there's great satisfaction flying some balsa wood that you put together.
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Old Apr 19, 2001, 08:14 AM
New Milford CT 06776
Joined Sep 2000
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leccyflyer:

Like videographer *almost* said - it's a low winger so DONT install the aileron servo in the bottom of the wing (don't ask me how I know this it was a long time ago and it was MY first low winger).

cheers

Brian

[This message has been edited by leccyflyer (edited 04-19-2001).]
Say what? Mine and every other one I have seen has the aileron servo installed in the bottom of the wing. How did you install yours without getting the torque rods in the way and the servo not to touch the battery holder plate? JT

[This message has been edited by JTinCT (edited 04-19-2001).]
JTinCT is offline Find More Posts by JTinCT
Old Apr 19, 2001, 08:53 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,578 Posts
Sorry chaps - my mistake - I don't have an X-250 (nor have I ever seen on except in magazines or on here) - I was merely guessing based on Videographer's description of his "problem" - and my previous error.

I'll leave my post as it is as a warning to me against "guessing" in future

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 19, 2001, 10:31 AM
JP
Portugal
Joined Mar 2001
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tnsfrk:
Hi there, I wanted to buy the x250 sooo bad but I'am one of those that don't know how to build kits/or do covering!!! How can I get this all covered up AKA ARF? Will they ever sell this ARF in the future? It's not fair!!!

Don't even think you can't build a kit!! I find myself buying a Trainer 2000 (gas), then a Twinstar and them a PicoJet. No way I should ever build a plane, because I don't have time for it! Just to fly!

Well things go different sometimes, and now I can say my FIRST scratch built plane (from plans) was a Sport 400, with foam wings, balsa covered, with white Solarfilm on top of it. Fuse was very easy to make, but foam wings for a FIRST scratch built?!?!?

Was it very well built? No, thanks!
Several mistakes were done, but it's the best flying plane I have.

By now I only build foam wing plane because I don't find built strutures as simple as foam (most likely another stupid idea!)

Go for it, or you'll never be able to do something else than a ARF (and it seems that many good plane are either kits or plans...).

JP
Lisbon, PORTUGAL
JP is offline Find More Posts by JP