HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2004, 05:19 AM
Whatever happens..Happens
Sanford, Maine, United States
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
can you run 2 motors on one speed controler

im thinking of using 2 motors on my slow stick. can you run two motors on one speed controler? will thay slow down at all? both the batteries and the speed controler will be rated for the amps. the speed controler will be a gws ics 600. the batteries will be cbp 7cell 2100mah.
jswjimmy is offline Find More Posts by jswjimmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:28 AM
northampton, England.
Joined Oct 2000
681 Posts
Beat me to the thread! I`m working on a JR P-38 lightning which i`m putting a pair of micro 6 brushless motors in and was told by a friend that one controller (of the correct rating ) would do it? I know it`s ok with brushed motors but When brushless first came out i was led to believe you had to run them on seperate controlors........anyone here been there seen it done it?..........Martin
kartman24 is online now Find More Posts by kartman24
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:56 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,818 Posts
kartman 024 is correct. You can run as many brushed motors as the amp rating will support on a single controller ( I have seen four on one myself) however with brushless ,limit of one per controler. Burshless controllers provide timing control for the motor and two would never be in perfect sync. with one another. If they we coupled together ,(geared perhaps) or maybe even inline (shafts connected) you might get it to work.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 17, 2004, 05:45 PM
Whatever happens..Happens
Sanford, Maine, United States
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
sweet thanks. so i hope next month i will be running a slow stick with 33oz of thrust and is only 26oz itself. a gws350c-c motors on each side of the wing. i will reinforce the wing and tail with carbon fiber, and the gear will be built up to.
jswjimmy is offline Find More Posts by jswjimmy
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:32 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
kartman 024 is correct. You can run as many brushed motors as the amp rating will support on a single controller ( I have seen four on one myself) however with brushless ,limit of one per controler. Burshless controllers provide timing control for the motor and two would never be in perfect sync. with one another. If they we coupled together ,(geared perhaps) or maybe even inline (shafts connected) you might get it to work.

Charles
This question comes up a lot. It is possible with the right motors and controller to run two brushless motors from one controller. Kontronik sells a drive set for this:
http://www.kontronik.com/DSet400480Motse.htm
I have never tried this myself, but it can be done.
Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 22, 2004, 02:57 AM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,306 Posts
Here's a man that has done it, and its reliability. It is on page 12 if the link does not take you straight to it. There are other links posted there as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...64#post2926464
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:10 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrider
Here's a man that has done it, and its reliability. It is on page 12 if the link does not take you straight to it. There are other links posted there as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...64#post2926464
Thanks for the link it takes to last post in thread ,simple enough to scroll up and read the rest.
I just love it when established rules(practices) are proven wrong. I also have been told by experienced BL motor builders that this was impossible as wel as reading it in post by the experts at Castle Creations. I have often considered two CDR motors inline with the shafts coupled front to back and could not see why if everything was timed(aligned) there would be any problems.
The best way to have a theory proved wrong is to state that it just will not work.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 22, 2004, 01:01 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==I just love it when established rules(practices) are proven wrong. I also have been told by experienced BL motor builders that this was impossible as wel as reading it in post by the experts at Castle Creations==

Don't get too excited, in the vast majority of (brushless) cases it does not work. Whenever this subject comes up, for every one success story there are 10+ failures. Usually when you power up, one motor will start and the other one won't. Sometimes if you line the props up that helps to get it started, but then if you power off in the air and power back on, you run the risk of only one motor starting back up. And that would be bad news on a twin! On brushless applications if you don't have a special ESC like the Kontronik, your best bet is to use two separate ESCs. As tiny as PH10's are, that's not so big a deal anymore.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 22, 2004, 04:52 PM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
Patric at CC told me last year it could be done but they don't want us doing it. As they were not designed for it,
Well at the show my partner pulled out a PCW with 2 of our motors on it each pulling 13amps from one CC25 he laughed and followed me out to the flying area and watched as we flew the heck out of it,
We were doing 2 brushless motors with a cc10 last year and there are threads on here that show the planes somewhere?
scott
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers