HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:48 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,572 Posts
Does heli flying affect your fixed wing piloting ?

I've spent the last few weeks learning to flying my helicopter and then went out to fly one of my fixed wing aircraft and noticed my heli expereince seems to have helped me fly the fixed wing aircraft more precisley.

I found I was paying much closer attention to the models attitude and used the rudder more. I also used the throttle more making contant adjustments rather that just having climb, cruise , approach and Off settings.

Has any one else noticed how learning to fly one type of model affects how the fly others ?

Regards

Terry Rigden
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2004, 05:50 AM
United States, NC, Franklin
Joined Dec 2002
417 Posts
My opinion would be flying heli improves rudder sense on fixed wing.....

But when I get away from heli, and fly quarter scale for a while, I have gotten afraid of flying my excel ..... this was years ago.

I had to stop flying fixed wing to learn to fly that excel, and then I got very rusty at heli .....

I think the pro's concentrate to get very good on one airframe......sure some of them fly multiple aircraft, but for me, concentration helps.

Jim.
jdowdle is online now Find More Posts by jdowdle
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:25 AM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
Flying heli's has cured the lazy left thumb, as well as staying ahead of the plane instead of reacting to it.
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:14 AM
United States, VA, Warrenton
Joined Apr 2001
1,148 Posts
The general concencus is that helicopter flying improves your fixed wing flying due to using the left stick. Just read an article in Fly R/C that said the same thing.

~Dan
Ninjak2k is offline Find More Posts by Ninjak2k
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:20 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,186 Posts
Like it was said above... it wakes up a lazy left thumb. your fixed wing acro will be much better.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:47 AM
Europe, Austria, Burgenland
Joined Mar 2002
1,774 Posts
and it goes also other way round..

when beginning with heli you will notice that your fixed-wing-experiences help alot..

beginning heli without fixed-wing-experiences= 5 functions you have to watch
beginning heli WITH fixed-wing-experiences= only 1 funktion to watch (=pitch)

of course this is a little bit simplified but infact: somebody that can fly fixed-wing can also fly a heli around...

were it becomes problematic: when the heli does not move or even worse: when it goes backwards..
that are things you never have never done before with a fixed-wing..

when i got my Acrobat10 (heli, size of eco8)
i made after 3 weeks flying loops, rolls, turns, 540°turns, hoovering inverted with tail-to-me

but backward-flying ? no.. my brain donīt want to do that
Kraeuterbutter is offline Find More Posts by Kraeuterbutter
Last edited by Kraeuterbutter; Nov 17, 2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:13 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,469 Posts
<I found I was paying much closer attention to the models attitude and used the rudder more. I also used the throttle more making contant adjustments rather that just having climb, cruise , approach and Off settings.>

Exactly my experience.
kallend is online now Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Nov 17, 2004, 01:27 PM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
Quote:
when beginning with heli you will notice that your fixed-wing-experiences help alot..
I actually found the opposite, at least when I started doing basic aerobatics with a heli. for a plane the default bail out is back elevator. (at least for a capable 3d plane that can loop in about 3 ft...) i had gotten used to that, so that is what came naturally with a heli. BAD idea! now I'm screaming towards the ground tail first! I'm still working on getting the pitch up concept as the default bail out consistently.
rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer
Old Nov 17, 2004, 03:47 PM
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
Joined Mar 2001
352 Posts
I had been told by a very accomplished fixed wing and heli pilot that the heli would improve my fixed wing flying, and I must agree. I also agree that my fixed wing experience compliments the heli.

My hand-eye coordination is much better as a result of heli flying though I have to constantly remind myself that throttle responses to trouble are opposite when going from fixed to rotory wing flying.
lenrev is offline Find More Posts by lenrev
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:27 PM
lone wolf
(us military)
Joined Mar 2004
787 Posts
I even fly my aileron only models with rudder inputs all the time yes heli's have really helped me with more precision flying as well.
rcaddition is offline Find More Posts by rcaddition
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:40 PM
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Dec 2000
64 Posts
I found that after 5 years of only flying heli's and then picking up fixed wing, that I could suddenly do a cross wind landing without thinking about it. I couldn't do a cross wind to save my life before the heli experiance.

Terry
tdollmeyer is offline Find More Posts by tdollmeyer
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:30 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
The only issue I've had is that time after time when I revert to an airplane and do a low inverted pass....... I feed in "negative pitch", er chop the throttle

Cheers!
Glen Peden - Mikado field rep
http://www.logoheli.com
Visit the LOGOmaniac Forums
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Nov 18, 2004, 02:38 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraeuterbutter

but backward-flying ? no.. my brain donīt want to do that
I have the same problem I'm so uncomfortable flying backwards, the brain says do it but the thumbs rebel.

The other day I was flying my XRB helicopter through a small gap (3.5 rotor diameters) and it started to go wrong and I was within an inch of the wall. My brain said "Back out and have another go". My thumbs did a U turn and flew the model out forwards. I got away with it but only with inches to spare. I had to land to calm down.

Regards

Terry Rigden
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden