HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:02 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
CSS Hunley

After much head scratching and pondering the best way to do the CSS Hunley, it occured to me that the internal workings from the Akula sub kit would be perfect for the sport scale Hunley. So, with that in mind, I sat down and drew up the outlines for the new hull, based on the 4" inside dimention on the Akula.
The result was a hull length of 42", with an overall length of around 45" with the prop shroud and rudder. The hull mold is under construction, and once completed, the hull will be vac formed in .062 styrene. The equipment box and all the running gear will be permanently mounted in the hull, and a large removeable hatch will provide access to the hull.
Stay tuned, this could be a very interesting excercize!
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:46 AM
Marietta, Ga
Joined Sep 2004
34 Posts
Pat,
Do you have your own vacuum form equipment?

Wilt
WiltP is offline Find More Posts by WiltP
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:34 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Wilt, I don't have equipment near big enough for this one, but I've already talked to the guys at Dumas and they're going to do the parts for me.
PAT
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:40 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
You take on some of the most interesting projects,,,
Ron Zee is offline Find More Posts by Ron Zee
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:19 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Pat,

This is a very cool project, But...

You're not avoiding the Typhoon build, are you? We're all anxiously waiting for the mahogany planking to come out of the box... (More, give us more!)

Regards,

Ray
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2004, 01:02 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Ray, Actually, the Typhoon is progressing nicely, though there is a bit of work to do before the mahogany planking starts to go on. For now, both sides are balsa planked and work on the deck will start real soon.
PAT
Old Nov 17, 2004, 03:27 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Mar 2004
24 Posts
Very Cool!

Hi Pat,
This is a very cool project to see you working on I've had a fascination with the Hunley since my favorite author, Dr. Clive Cussler, and his crew discovered it's resting place in 1995. I've also thought of doing an R/C version, particularly after I'd come across the efforts of another modeler on the web. Are these plans, and the parts for them, going to eventually be available as so many of your other cool projects are?

After I build my "Hellen", and get a couple of other kits under my belt, I want to do a NUMA research vessel from one of Dr. Cussler's novels. I might use the Dean's "Bulldog" kit, or I might go full scratch and build a sister ship to the Wood's Hole "Atlantis" / Scripps "Roger Revelle" using hull lines, deck layouts, and pictures that are on the web. I also got a copy of the hull lines from the Model Curator of the San Diego Maritime Museum that he used for the model of the "Revelle" that's at the museum.

Here's what it'd look like in NUMA colors from one of the later books

It was this trip to the museum late last year or early this year that kick-started my desire to get into R/C boating and led to me buying the "Hellen" kit and working on several static models that are on the workbench right now

Thanks again for sharing, Pat. Can't wait to see the progress!
Jesse
JDeGraff is offline Find More Posts by JDeGraff
Last edited by JDeGraff; Nov 17, 2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:01 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Jesse, I have read almost all of Cusslers stuff starting with the Dirk Pitt series, and several since then too. I've often thought of doing the NUMA research vessel, I just never got around to it. The way it looks, you have a good head start on it, would love to see it come to be for you -- it would certainly be a terrific project.
Dumas has expressed a lot of interest in the project, and is offering much tech support for the project, so the tentative plan for the Hunley is to get it built and tested. If it works like I suspect it will, it will likely end up a Dumas kit to go along with the Bluefish and Akula.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:08 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Mar 2004
24 Posts
LOL! So it's not necessarily an original idea then I've every one of his books, have multiple copies in some cases (different editions), some limited edition artwork, and an orange faced Seiko dive watch since I can't afford a Doxa The other part of my plans are to outfit it as much as possible to gather "scientific data". Talk about GEEK I've been thinking tethered ROV (the tether's gonna' be interesting...) or seperate R/C sub, either one with mini video camera. Hull mounted camera in the bow ala our old friend Cousteau (used to watch his shows as a kid). Maybe camera(s) pointing out from one or more windows. The cameras could feed a video transmitter to the shore and LCD monitors and a tape deck or minidisc recorder. Any other sensors I could think of (temp, etc). Hopefully transmitting data back to the shore. It's gonna' be a bank account killer if I ever get it done as envisioned

If Dumas puts the kit out, I'll definately be in line early. Keep up the outstanding work! We'll be waiting with baited breath

Jesse
Old Nov 18, 2004, 01:31 AM
Crazy frenchie
Courbevoie, France.
Joined Feb 2003
198 Posts
Pat,

what plans are you using for the Hunley ?
AntoineL is offline Find More Posts by AntoineL
Old Nov 18, 2004, 08:14 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Antoine, I started out with the Dumas Akula plans and drew a new hull around the internals. The reference used was a profile sketch that a friend of mine had from an old cast resin model from Lone Star models (I think). There are no good 3 views available that I'm aware of, and it's intended to be a sport scale "running" model anyway, so in this case, close is close enough. The inside components used are from the Akula, so proven to work well.
PAT
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:36 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2004
32 Posts
For camera and transmitters and such, a place that i've gotten things from and will help you out with projects like your saying would be Super Circuts. Lots of mini camera stuff, and some pretty decent transmitters too. I mounted one in my car and drove it around the race track while watching my television. The transmitter I got transmits on a freqency that can be picked up by a TV. So, camera in car, pointing out the windsheild, and I'm "driving" the car while watching the video. Pretty wild trying to run like that at speed. Corners were a little hard to see. Pretty awsome videos from stuff like that though. You should see when it was mounted in my Clodbuster!
Ron Zee is offline Find More Posts by Ron Zee
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:11 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Mar 2004
24 Posts
Yup, gotta' love Super Circuits That's where I plan to get most or all of the camera gear. I've seen footage shot from R/C cars like that. It's pretty wild! Makes me wanna' do it with mine
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:40 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,748 Posts
Tim Smalley has some HUNLEY information on his site.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:50 PM
Crazy frenchie
Courbevoie, France.
Joined Feb 2003
198 Posts
Pat,

If you are interested I have some nice 3 views drawings of the Hunley. The frenchman who works on the real Hunley told me : "where did you find that ????"

Let me know

Antoine
AntoineL is offline Find More Posts by AntoineL