SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:41 AM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Challenger vs. Cloud Bound 4

In regard to the "Challenger" and "Cloud Bound 4" kits from Skybench.

Looking for suggestions on which one of these planes to build. Built about 15 or so sailplane kits back in the 80's. Am now just finishing up on a Houston Hawk. While building the Hawk I found out I prefer working on a wooden fuselage over fiberglass. Really like the looks of both these two planes (challenger, cloud bound 4). If anyone has flown either or both of these two, would like to know their handling characteristics. Any opinions or preferences, will be appreciated.

Thanks
erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:50 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
There are a couple Cloud Bound 4 builds going on or recently finished here and on RC Universe. Cloudbound Mike is one of the builders. You might check with him to get advice on flying if he has finished.

The Cloudbound is a nice looking ship, but is definitely build intensive. Lots, lots, lots of parts. Definitely not for the faint of heart regarding building.

I don't know anything about the Challenger other than it has a good flying reputation from comments I've read here.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:15 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
"The Cloudbound is a nice looking ship, but is definitely build intensive. Lots, lots, lots of parts. Definitely not for the faint of heart regarding building."

The Challenger but, it is definitely build intensive. Lots, lots, lots of parts. Definitely not for the faint of heart regarding building.

The airfoils are different. The Cloud Bound 4's airfoil is flat from LE bottom to TE and less range of speed. The Challenger airfoil Y Clark wide range with a flap and an better slow to fast range.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:35 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
The Challenger definitely has more of a winning reputation. I believe either would be a rewarding build. The Challenger gets my vote, and I plan to order one soon - even if Ray doesn't like my sanding methods.....haha!

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:59 AM
Joined Sep 2003
193 Posts
Tell you what Jack W, I'll include pre sanded leading edges in your Challenger kit...just so you can check out my stuff ..........just kidding...not serious......
and yes I'm on vacation and not answering the phone. I'm building.....

The only thing that can construed as an intensive build about the Challenger is the Challenger is a BIG sailplane, otherwise it is a tinker toy to put it together. And far easier than the Cloud Bound 4. If you like to build, you will love the Challenger. Bring it to my Wood Crafters 2005 event and be among the many flying Challengers.

Ray Hayes http:///www.skybench.com
skybenchone is offline Find More Posts by skybenchone