HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:07 PM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
Video editing software

I just want to get an idea of what video editing software everyone is using here? I tried Premiere at work, but it is way too complicated.

What are some other good choices you have had good luck with??
Mattydiah is offline Find More Posts by Mattydiah
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:13 PM
Whatever happens..Happens
Sanford, Maine, United States
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
windows movie maker 2
adobe premiere pro 7
adobe after effects

windows movie maker 2 is free, and easy to use, i like it the best. but in premiere you can do a lot more stuff.
jswjimmy is offline Find More Posts by jswjimmy
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:26 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Another good one is Canopus EZDV. Most stable Codec I'v used.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:41 PM
Brescia, Italy
Joined May 2004
784 Posts
Is there any editor for QuickTime (.mov) file... possibly free?
Piero.
CANTZ506 is offline Find More Posts by CANTZ506
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:21 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Pinnacle Studio 8 for all my vidz here. http://www.ripnburn.rchomepage.com/
I like it a lot. very easy to use.
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:42 PM
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,524 Posts
You might also try VirtualDub. Its pretty powerful and its free.
It comes from here: http://www.virtualdub.org
Herleman is offline Find More Posts by Herleman
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:04 PM
San Fernando Valley
Joined Apr 2004
29 Posts
I use Sony Vegas 5. I do editing as a side job, but of all the packages out there, it has the best combination of features, intuitive use and is rock solid on just about any Windows system. IMHO of course. If you have access to academic software, you can get it for a reasonable price. I am still waiting to get a decent camera mounted on my SS. Soon I will have my Nikon 3700 going and am looking forward to getting some footage then.
chumash is offline Find More Posts by chumash
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:57 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
I've been using Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004. $56 @ Best Buy. Lots of features and even has a song maker wizard. I bought their Soundpool 2004 DVD to go with it. I'm new to video editing, so I can't compare it to anything except Windows Movie Maker 1, but it's far far better than that. Even runs great on my 850mhz P3. I'm using it with a $36 kworld capture card to put our home movies on dvd. It will capture with no dropped frames in vhs quality, even with the 850 p3. 16 track timeline lets you add audio, transitions, green and blue box effects...all kinds of cool stuff! Burn dvd and video cd's from within the program, add chapters...etc. Export files to hard drive..etc. Like I said, I can't compare it to any of the programs like Pinnacle or Roxio, but I definitely am enjoying it, especially for the price.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:23 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
588 Posts
Yes, I also have used Sony Vegas and it is the bomb. Very cool transition and fx features. Easy to implement and it is rock solid app. It also exports to all the movie formats, QuickTime, Windows Movie Maker, AVI, etc.

What the problem is is compression. When you start getting into video on the PC you will have to get some sort of compression that is friendly to everyone otherwise you get the old message, 'unable to play this file'

The DIVX compression in my opinion is the best because it really crunches those bytes right down to a reasonable size without any quality loss, however, the latest free version is laced with spyware and I do not want that on my PC. But the windows Movie Maker format seems to do a good job of compressing your video and is a lot better to use compared to an AVI file format.
pkrska is offline Find More Posts by pkrska
Old Nov 17, 2004, 05:02 PM
RCAPA #14
United States, TX, Wimberley
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
Hey guys,

I just purchased the Pinnacle Studio9 and it is SUPER easy to use.. all drag and drop.. I am pretty much a computer idiot and I was making movies in no time... Easiest software I have ever used... got it for 80 bones at best buy...

Myron
Myron is offline Find More Posts by Myron
Old Apr 09, 2005, 07:27 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,399 Posts
How do you get your movies out of MOV. file to some other file, I tried using Windows Movie Maker but it would not except quicktime mov. files. The Nikon takes movies in mov. files and they are HUGE, how do you put them in a better format?
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Apr 09, 2005, 09:06 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Someone linked to a shareware app called Bink & Smacker, don't have the URL. While it appears to have all sorts of compression and codec choices, I simply used it to convert .MOV files to .avi with little or no compression. Windows Movie Maker is then happy to chomp away at the .avi files.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Apr 09, 2005, 10:59 PM
Smashes Things
Montpelier, VA
Joined Feb 2005
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
How do you get your movies out of MOV. file to some other file, I tried using Windows Movie Maker but it would not except quicktime mov. files. The Nikon takes movies in mov. files and they are HUGE, how do you put them in a better format?

If you get TMPGEnc you can get a plug in for MOV files so you can convert to mpg. If you want avi or other types of mpg then you go through other steps. I use Virtual dub for many things including inverting since I usually mount the camera upside down and then use virtual dub to flip it.

Try this site.

http://www.videohelp.com/convert

Typ
RCTyp is offline Find More Posts by RCTyp
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:17 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,907 Posts
Pinnacle Studio 9.3 is easy to use. Used it for all my vids: http://www.stickflyers.com
Qrome is online now Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:49 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by quailbird:
How do you get your movies out of MOV. file to some other file(?)

Originally Posted by Karl Bē:
Someone linked to a shareware app called Bink & Smacker, don't have the URL.

I think the link in question is THIS ONE.

Mike S.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike