SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2004, 07:47 AM
Joined Nov 2004
20 Posts
Jet engine Plans

Hi,i think you can see that my name is alex.
and im new in jet's.
i want to ask how much is it going to cost me to to build one?
i have a cnc machine at home (well not in home but real near )
i mean with plans metal and so on..
p.s
sorry for my english im from Israel.
Alex.B is offline Find More Posts by Alex.B
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:43 AM
never fast enough !!!
old bridge, nj
Joined Nov 2004
258 Posts
i would be curious to see how a set of plans for a turbine look ... someone sent me link once to a set of kj66 plans online, but the links never came up for me .... I'd like to print a set up and hang it on my shop wall

Wojtek
wojtek is offline Find More Posts by wojtek
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:49 AM
Dont press the RED button
Coventry, UK.
Joined Jun 2004
53 Posts
www.gtba.co.uk

Gas Turbine Builders Association.

They can help in providing plans, and difficult to obtain sub components, such as special alloys, ceramic bearings,
kits, compressor and turbine wheels.
Spartan Missile is offline Find More Posts by Spartan Missile
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:55 AM
Still diggin' holes...
Belgium
Joined Jan 2002
159 Posts
Plans and parts can be had from www.artesjet.com

Even if you completely build it yourself (including the NGV and so on) it will still cost you a couple of hundred dollars. Not to mention a lot of time...
Cometlover is offline Find More Posts by Cometlover
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:40 PM
Joined Nov 2004
20 Posts
Ok thanks a lot.
well i have a lot of free time on my hands i just smashed my lag up
never listen to your wife and start exerciseding ...
Old Nov 15, 2004, 01:46 PM
Dont press the RED button
Coventry, UK.
Joined Jun 2004
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.B
Ok thanks a lot.
well i have a lot of free time on my hands i just smashed my lag up
never listen to your wife and start exerciseding ...
Maybe you could sue her for causing your injuries, and then use the proceeds to buy a turbine and jet kit ?

Get well soon.
Spartan Missile is offline Find More Posts by Spartan Missile
Old Nov 15, 2004, 01:51 PM
Joined Nov 2004
20 Posts
well dont want break the other leg
and thanks
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:00 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
336 Posts
Alex,
I have built a few turbines in the machine shop and will tell you that if you have some machining talent than you can make one. I used a manual lathe and mill to do mine. I did have access to some decent tig welding epuipment, but you can probably find someone else to do that if needed. I made every part on it except the compressor and bearings, I found the compressor in an old turbo from a Volvo I believe. I did make the turbine wheel myself and it is Inconel 718 just like the real ones. I didn't have any plans to go from, just scaled everything to the compressor. Incidentally it's a 60 mm. I run ceramic bearings in the hot end and just a plain old SKF in the cool end. I have run and checked this engine at over 120,000 rpm. Runs cold and starts every time. If you do make one you will probably have to shell out several hundred dollars for material. The aluminum is pretty pricy, but if you check e-bay or a metal store with no minimums you could get it done for under $200. The ceramic bearing was the most expensive single part on it at around $65. I have probably, just guessing, run this engine a total of about five hours since I finished it. Also another nice thing about making it yourself is that you know exactly what is in it and how it's made. Go to a jet rally and see how many of the guys can take their turbines apart and put them back together in five minutes and then fire them up. Pretty nice feeling to me. Oh yeah, I have checked the thrust and it is about 12 pounds. Not too bad for it's size and construction. So in closing I say go for it, but BE CAREFUL. There is a tremendous amount of energy in those spinning wheels. If you need some more encouragement just ask..
Good Luck.
MJ
mcjustis is online now Find More Posts by mcjustis
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:03 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
336 Posts
Also if you see them, steer clear of the Schreckling books. They are good for theory but don't use his plans. Try Thomas Kamps books instead. Happy machining...
MJ
mcjustis is online now Find More Posts by mcjustis
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:24 PM
Gas, Glow, Diesel & Kero!
Kirkland Lake, Northern Ontario Canada
Joined Sep 2004
76 Posts
Alex,
I highly suggest getting the 2nd edition of Kamp's book also. The engine in there is basically a KJ66 - and if you can get your hands on a copy of the actual KJ66 plans (through Artes jets) even the better. I recently finished a KJ66 myself (also on a manual lathe and mill) and I also have plans I bought from Wren Turbines for the MW54. I think the KJ66 is the easier of the two to tackle due to the larger size and tolerances (allthough being veru critical) not needing to be AS critical for the engine to run and run well.

If you cannot build all components yourself, check out ABC Microturbines (website is excellent) for parts or materials. I ended up purchasing the part completed combustion chamber due to my sheet metal skills lacking... and he also can supply the bearings and other critical components like the compressor.

I purchsed my cast turbine and nozzle guide vane castings through Wren, who does sell both the 66mm and 54mm sizes, unmachined.

I suggest also you join the GTBA is only to read the numerous back issues of the newsletters which are the most valuable source of turbine engine information IMO.

Good luck and take it one step at a time. If I can do it I am sure you can too!

AJC
ajcoholic is offline Find More Posts by ajcoholic
Old Nov 20, 2004, 02:36 AM
Frankfurt Intl, Germany
Joined Jul 2004
111 Posts
Alex -
a team of the technical university of Steyr, Austria, has conducted a model turbine project for educational purpose. The resulting engine is a close resemblance of the KJ66 and the drawings of all the components are available for download, either in Autocad DWG or Catia file format.

Here are the links:

http://www.htl-steyr.ac.at/htlde/am/...turb2/acad.zip

http://www.htl-steyr.ac.at/htlde/am/...b2/catia3d.zip

And here's the link to their complete project page (German language only):

http://www.htl-steyr.ac.at/htlde/am/...rb2/index.html

So if you are just interested in buildig an engine from a set of plans and have fundamental understanding of machining purposes, this information may already suit your needs. Anyway I join the chorus and really recommend to get yourself a copy of the Kamps book - it's more than worth the money.

Best regards,
Thomas
Turbo-Tom is offline Find More Posts by Turbo-Tom
Old Nov 20, 2004, 08:29 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,336 Posts
Mcjustis, Welcome to RC Groups!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:48 PM
Joined Nov 2004
20 Posts
OMG Guys i appreciate the links and all the help.
as soon as my leg recovers i think ill start working on it
Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:57 AM
Adimanusia
Central Java Indonesia
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
new

hi guys..

i'd like to intruduce my name is budi prabowo in indonesia south east asia,
im interesting in building a turbine for rc model aircraft to.

iv been searching the web for a "beginner plan", and if somebody have a copy of the thomas kamps id be very happy to hear that alex will share it for.
can i get the copy alex..?

(So if you are just interested in buildig an engine from a set of plans and have fundamental understanding of machining purposes, this information may already suit your needs. Anyway I join the chorus and really recommend to get yourself a copy of the Kamps book - it's more than worth the money.)
Best regards,Thomas

Best regards
Prabowo
adimanusia is offline Find More Posts by adimanusia
Old Aug 23, 2008, 03:16 PM
Adimanusia
Central Java Indonesia
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
hi this link isnt working anymore guys

http://www.htl-steyr.ac.at/htlde/am/...turb2/acad.zip
adimanusia is offline Find More Posts by adimanusia