HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2002, 01:14 AM
Peoria Arizona
Joined Dec 2001
33 Posts
Discussion
Guillows Spitfire

Hey everyone, I just started to scratch build an airplane. I blew up the plans of a twenty seven inch rubber band spitfire to 42 inches. Looks like it will need a 400 and a 1100 mah ni-cd. Any suggestions would be great even if you havent built the airplane before. I will start putting pictures in my next thread of its progress. So far I have the ribs and formers cut out.
Steven C111 is offline Find More Posts by Steven C111
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2002, 05:49 AM
Joined Dec 2001
139 Posts
A spit with a 42 inch span may require a little more than a 400 , perhaps a 540 class with direct drive ? powered with maybe 7 sub c ( 1400 to 2400 nicd so on ) cells ?
iamDerrick is offline Find More Posts by iamDerrick
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:42 AM
Califorina
Joined Feb 2002
213 Posts
Would love to see this when you are done, I looking at a Spitfire down the road and have a idea about the sureflite with 2 battery bays in the wing next to the Fuselage by making a balsa box for added support and a Y connector for the batteries. Also need to reinforce the wings and may cover it with light balsa.

you may want to check this site out

http://loke.as.arizona.edu/~ckulesa/propulsion.html

this site talks about size, weight ratio's and gears

or download the motocalc. that everyone has mentioned before.

Good luck on this project

Mike ( new to E-Flight ex IC flyer)
Weldman is offline Find More Posts by Weldman
Old Feb 24, 2002, 08:10 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
I built that kit in it's origional form back in the 60s. I was about 10 years old. I was my very first flying model (but of course it wouldn't fly) My dream back then would have been to have a little tiny RC set and a tiny little electric motor to power it from my front yard. I'll be interested in watching your model take shape. A trip down memory lane for sure.

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Feb 24, 2002, 08:24 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
My current project is a 37" P-51 roughly based on a 13" FF model I've got, which sounds like it's a project very close to yours I've decided on using a 6.6:1 geared SP280 w/ 13x9 prop on 7x150mah for propulsion; pros are it's light (9oz) and cheap with a lot of thrust for the weight... con is, it's going to be slow and fragile. But then, that's why I'm building it like a FF- so it's light and slow Got the plans completed and the formers cut out, and I'll let you know how it goes!

One problem I discovered on my model that you're likely to run into is that of excessive twist in the wings. You may have to change the original design a bit to stiffen it up without adding a lot of weight.
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:10 PM
tyler, texas, united states
Joined Mar 2001
639 Posts
i have a feeling that for speed 400 your going to need to beef some things up, as the model was not meant to carry 14+ oz's of weight arround i also built thats exact gullows kit too as i recall the spar is not much of a spar so some extra attention should be paid to that..... let us know how it works though.
barn buster 50 is offline Find More Posts by barn buster 50
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:55 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
Regarding the spar on the Spitfire:...
I have only 2 words to say on this matter. CARBON FIBER.
Either in tape form on the top and bottom of the spar or use carbon fiber rods. This stuff increases strength up to 300% and works wonders. I couldn't believe how lightweight it is and definitely worth considering.
The Spitfire is my favorite airplane of all time! You've definitely picked a beauty. I'll be scratch building a Hurricane as my next project. Best of luck!!
RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
Old Feb 25, 2002, 01:38 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,706 Posts
Steve

Your powerplant options will become much clearer once you have a weight of your framework. If you're using a construction similar to Guillow's then the typical powerplants used in things like HOB Mustangs etc gets thrown out the window. I flew an Easy Built (no, it wasn't) 44" Spit Mk 22 glow which weighed in at 27-30 ounces if memory serves. (Actually, it was originally designed as an electric- I'm eyeing it as a possible conversion project. Performance on the Cox 074 was rather pedestrian, although I think it would pass for a Mk 1. The plane would roll, loop and spin fine, but it needed a dive from level flight to loop. Essentially just underpowered- it perked along better with a Webra 10. Actually, the plane looked rather realistic in the air, although I had the wheels hanging down. I suspect a Speed 400 geared might be just the ticket, but some of us would be tempted to go with a Permax 450 Turbo instead. On a 7 cell CP 1300 pack, you'll have nice climb with an 8 x 4, but your top end won't be excessive.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Feb 25, 2002, 04:22 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Megowcoupe
Steve

Your powerplant options will become much clearer once you have a weight of your framework.
Sam, airframe weight will be between 3 and 4oz, hopefully... I'm shooting for AUW 9oz with a geared SP280 (would be 8oz with an M100), but it's still just an estimate.
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Feb 25, 2002, 04:34 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,706 Posts
Aha

I get the picture. I've got a 50" rubber powered P-40 I'm eyeing as a conversion project- I think the airframe weighs in a 4-5 oz empty, but don't hold me to that. OK, so no ailerons, make sure that you have tons of washout- Spits need more washout then you think, I've built several. If you're really that light, you might get away with an GWS litestik motor on a B gearbox- I flew a 40" Super Snooper with such a combination- just beautiful ghosting around. I don't know of a gearbox that will really do much for the M100 given the size props you want to swing. Your other option is something like a DC 1524 or DC 1717. The guy who knows this stuff is Todd Long- give him a call.

Sam
Old Feb 25, 2002, 06:28 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
My Spit

I too built the Spitfire from Gullows back in the mid 70's. Put a Cox 020 in it, but it never flew well. Ended up giving it away when I moved It sure looked great but was a real bear to build, didn't have CA back then and had to use white glue. Covered it with tissue and dressed it up with a fancy paint and decals!

Here's a picture!

Happy Flying!

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Feb 26, 2002, 07:38 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,706 Posts
Nice looking Spitty- Can you say conversion?

Sam
Old Feb 26, 2002, 12:14 PM
Peoria Arizona
Joined Dec 2001
33 Posts
thanks

Hey thanks you guys for all the help. I will keep you informed on how it goes. Thanks again!!!
Steven C111 is offline Find More Posts by Steven C111
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:28 AM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Guillow Spitfire, 16&1/2 inch W.S.

Hi out there to all you Guillows fans, I just knocked out my interpretation of the little Guillows Spitfire, and although I know that R/C gear exhists to fit such a build, I dont have any, so this plane will be free-flight. does any one out there care to see pictures, I havent applied the tissue yet, wont untill next year-paycheck! Laramie,laramiemoreau@yahoo.com
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie