HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:09 PM
Dano
Northern Virginia
Joined Sep 2003
8 Posts
Alert
Futaba 9C LCD Screen Going Blank

I have a two year old Futaba 9C Radio. A week ago while flying I was breaking in a new 4-Stroke, I glanced down to check my timer and my LCD screen was BLANK. I had full control of my plane and could still hear a 1 minute count-down "beep". Can anyone offer me any help? I returned home and checked the radio over, and found nothing strange. The battery is less than 6 months old(1400mah nickle), and it had a full charge at the time. I turned on the radio and left it on for nearly 5 hours and the screen never went blank again.( yes, I watched it-Really!).

Thanks for any help,

Mark.
dano310@comcast.net
dano310 is offline Find More Posts by dano310
Last edited by dano310; Nov 14, 2004 at 08:10 PM. Reason: left out word
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:55 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
I had that happen to my brand new 9C a couple years back. I sent it in and they changed the LCD panel only to have it happen a week later. I didn't feel like sending it in anymore but A.M. Cross suggested for me to send it in. She noted that the blank display was a sign of pending CPU failure. Who knows, maybe she was trying to scare me. They did send me a new radio and no more problems after that

Kasra
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:13 PM
Dano
Northern Virginia
Joined Sep 2003
8 Posts
Thank you for the info. I WILL call Futaba and request the same treatment.

Thanks again,
Mark.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:42 AM
Suspended Account
Country Rds.
Joined Sep 2003
1,827 Posts
Hope you had the antenna extended or the module removed for the 5 hour test.
Steve Guinn is offline Find More Posts by Steve Guinn
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:25 AM
Dano
Northern Virginia
Joined Sep 2003
8 Posts
Steve,
Yes sir I did. I took not only the module out but also had the antenna out full. Thanks for the reply.

Mark.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:01 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
Two other possibilites - was it hot and was the radio sitting in direct sunlight for a while? LCD's will go blank if they get hot enough, usually I think they get dark though. Wearing sunglasses at the time? I wear polarized sunglasses and need to turn my head 90 degrees to view most LCD screens since the screen glass is polarized - it's part of what makes the screen work...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Nov 15, 2004, 02:33 PM
Dano
Northern Virginia
Joined Sep 2003
8 Posts
Chris,
Thanks for the reply. It was'nt hot, about 67 degrees that day. Nothing to do with polarized lenses, I had a buddy standing behind me and witnessed this event as well. He was'nt wearing any sunglasses. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to call Futaba and suck-up a CPU replacement.

Thanks again,
Mark.