SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:01 PM
Joined Nov 2004
319 Posts
Reflex XTR transmitter OFF! No Interface Response

Hi' Can anyone help with this?
I've installed the Reflex XTR software. It plays the installed model videos just fine. When I hook up the interface i get either "Turn on Transmitter or Reflex interface is not responding". In their support section under "USB inerface" they say that if you have a MS Sidewinder Joystick (which i do, I use it on several of my favorite flight simulations) you need to do some sort of a fix download which they have on their website. My question is has anyone done this fix and more importantly will it cause problems with my sidewinder joystick or the other flight programs that I have. Thanks Rich
richgraf is offline Find More Posts by richgraf
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:16 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Rich, there seems to be a LOT of people having trouble with the interface.

I just purchased XTR and have never gotten past the "turn on your transmitter" step. After looking around here, as well as RunRyder and the Reflex forums (which both are very good forums) it appears that this is a well known and very common problem. If I had known about this in advance I would have tried to wait awhile until they get the bugs worked out.

It seems they are having problems getting the interfaces to work with all the different kinds of radios. My spare transmitter is a HiTec Focus 4 that works fine with an FMS interface but the XTR interface can't tell it's there.

The main advice you'll find on the forums is to pull the plug out of the tx and work it back in slowly and repeat as many times as necessary to make the connection. Some people report having to try 20 to 100 times to get it to work. I must have tried hundreds of times before giving up and contacting MRC for help.

Another solution is to open up the connector that plugs into the tx and unsolder and reverse the wires. I don't feel soldering should be needed on a $190 sim.

The USB dongle I got with my XTR has a black shrink wrap sleeve over it. Does anybody else have one like that? Most I've seen have a blue plastic case?

Another factor is the lack of support. I tried to contact the dealer I bought it from HeliHobbies.com and they have so far refused to answer my emails. So not wanting to return it to Germany I contacted MRC and they told me to send in the USB adapter and they would send me a new one after they receive my old one. So now that I've had it a couple of days I'm now looking at an unknown time before I can actually try it. So far it's been nine days and it's not here yet.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Nov 14, 2004, 02:35 PM
Joined Feb 2002
151 Posts
reflex xtr ON OFF Problem

Wayne,

I received my reflex xtr last week from hobby warehouse. I use a hitec flash 5X. When I plugged into the usb my pc showed that it recognised a human interface. I had no problem using the sim............................and then, it quit working and all I get now is the sign saying to turn on the tx. I think I know what is happening, at least with mine.

The plug going into my tx is good as is the wire with the phone plug on the end. The purple plastic usb/phone connector with the electronics and circuit board inside is bad. I think the cause is plugging and unplugging the usb connector. I say that because mine is a bit loose where the male shinny plug is housed by the plastic case and it worked to begin with. I must have plugged and unplugged it a dozen times into the usb port on the front of my computer. I think they have big problem on their hands. I'll call hobby wharehouse tomorrow and see if I can get a new plugama thing. I'll report back with my findings. I plan to buy a new one and have it shipped quick. If it is the bad plug ,I'll send them back the bad one for refund.

Willie
William Bosco is offline Find More Posts by William Bosco
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:45 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks Willie, mine recognized the USB interface too, both using the Reflex driver and the Win XP driver, that was no problem. Just the transmitter never gets recognized.

Here's three of the emails I recieved from MRC at mrcsupport@modelrectifier.com

1st: "I am sorry for the inconvenience if you could tell me what your usb adapter looks like I could help you better. We have received new adapters from the manufacturer that addresses this issue."

>> I replied that mine was covered in black heat shrink.

2nd: Please send me in your usb adapter and I will get you out the updated one as soon as I get yours in.

>> I asked if they needed the cable or just the USB adapter.

3rd: Just your USB adapter you can hold on to your cable.

More info on the problem on these forums:

http://www.reflex-sim.dyndns.org/ref..._index.php?f=2

www.runryder.com/helicopter/f21p1/

Wayne
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:25 AM
Joined Nov 2004
319 Posts

Thanks for you responses. I think that the fix is on the Reflex Support site. If you go to Support> USB> USB Interface they say that If you have a Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick or Thrustmaster Joystick installed you need to download a software fix from Reflex to make Reflex XTR recognize the transmitter and USB interface.

My Question Is, will downloading this fix affect how my MS Sidewinder Joystick and the 3 Flight Simulators that I use with it operate. I am not willing to sacrifice these programs just for Reflex XTR? Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 09:53 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I tried the Reflex "fix", it didn't make any difference. My other sims still work fine. MSFS 2004, MSCFS Pacific, FMS and G2 all function perfectly.

I totally agree that removing all other joysticks and USB devices like my printer, scanner and camera is not a workable solution. If Reflex cannot work with other programs it is not ready for the market.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:40 AM
Joined Feb 2002
151 Posts
I called Model Rectifier Corp. this morning and talked to Mike. He said to send in the usb interface. Now that I think of it , he didn't say he was going to send me another one. I hate being on hold with something like this.
I do like the sim and am learning to fly helicopters.
willie
William Bosco is offline Find More Posts by William Bosco
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:48 AM
Joined Nov 2004
319 Posts

Hi Basketcase,
Thanks for the reply. I'd like to ask a few more questions if I could. I just want to make absolutely sure on these items before I either try the software fix or send this thing back.
1. You did download the Reflex XTR software Fix for Sidewinder and Thrustmaster joystick users in the Support>USB>USb Joysticks section?
2. What type of joystick are you using and does it still work the same as it did. None of the programmable buttons got changed? No problems with your programs?
3. The Reflex Software Fix made no difference at all, you still get the same "turn transmitter on, interface is not responding" error messages?
4. Did you try any of the interface cord to TX jack connections recommended? Such as reversing the connections or using the 3pole stereo plug that Reflex had in their Support>Transmitter section?
Thank you very much for taking time to help out!
Old Nov 15, 2004, 01:26 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Rich, I wish I had some good news but I'm still waiting for my new interface to arrive.

1. I did download and try the ReflexHIDInstGB file. My computer recognizes the USB adapter either way, with the Reflex HID driver or without, with just the Win XP drivers. Didn't make any difference with the "Turn on Transmitter" window.

2. My joystick is a Logitech Wingman Extreme. Even though it's not a Sidewinder or Thrustmaster I was trying eveything I could find on the Reflex site.

3. Yes, same old message.

4. Nope, didn't try switching the connections or anything. I don't think that should be necessary for something in this price range. The tx I'm trying to use is an old HiTec Focus 4 that works perfectly with the FMS interface I've been using for three years.

By plugging - unplugging - replugging the connector into the back of the transmitter I actually did get it to work maybe two times, but that was out of many hundreds of tries. And as soon as I thought I had it, and turned it off to see if it would start again it's right back to the same old Turn on Your Transmitter. I have no idea how the plugging in can affect it but it's certainly not repeatable or reliable.

Maybe I'm being hardheaded about this but when I pay that much for something I expect it to work as advertised. Soldering and changing plugs is unacceptable.

My other transmitter is a Futaba 9C and has a small square plug instead of the round plug so I couldn't try it with Reflex to see if that made any difference. At least not without buying another adapter cord, and I don't want to use my good tx for the computer anyway. I've been thru that before and always end up with a dead battery when I want to go flying.

Does anybody know if the adapter cords are available anyplace here in the US? Or do they need to be ordered from Germany?

I think the best bet is to call or write to Mike at MRC, he'll probably tell you the same thing he told Willie and me, to send in the adapter for exchange.

Willie, I'm sure he'll send you out a new one but not until he gets the old one. Mike is the same guy I contacted thru email.

Wayne
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:14 PM
Joined Nov 2004
319 Posts
Hi Basketcase, and Bosco. Thanks very much for all the detailed information. I quess I'm going to try the download, if that doesn't do it I'll decide if I should just return everything to Heli Hobby or try to send in the USB device. I really appreciate the quick response from both of you. Rich
Old Nov 16, 2004, 07:25 AM
Joined Nov 2004
319 Posts
Hi Basketcase, and Bosco. I also tried the Reflex download fix and it made no difference. I even switched the two wires in the stero jack plug, all with no change. The only good news, it did not change anything with my MS Sidewinder joystick either, my IL-2 Sturmovik still flies the way it did, great.
This is more than a little frustrating. I guess I'll try This fellow Mike that you mentioned at MRC. Once again thanks for all the Help!
Old Nov 16, 2004, 07:58 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Rich, sorry to hear you're having the same problem as me. Hopefully new interfaces will get us all up and running. Still waiting on mine.

Also VERY sorry to hear that you purchased yours from HeliHobby too. I STILL haven't gotten a response from them, even after multiple emails over a two week period. NOTHING! I really wish I had done more research into HeliHobby because now I'm getting lot of advice to avoid them, as well as finding many many disgruntled customers who have nothing good to say about them in the various forums. I'm shocked how a company can stay in business when they treat customers like they do.

I've been flying planes for three years and am just getting interested in helis. I'm very glad that I found out about HeliHobby before buying anything even more expensive from them. I will never do any more business with them.

Wayne
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:47 AM
Joined Nov 2004
319 Posts
Hi Basketcase,
I talked to Mike at MRC. He's very helpful. Even though I removed the MS Sidewinder software I had installed prior to my Reflex XTR experience He talked me through getting the Sidewinder to work with the included joystick software that comes with MS Windows XP. I haven't tried to program the extra buttons yet but the stick works just as it did before I removed the Sidewinder joystick software yesterday. So thats some progress.

Then after fooling around with the plugs on the the USB transmitter cord I have occasionally been able to get the simulator to work. Wow its really great! Mike is going to replace the USB dongle, hopefully that will finish this off. When this program works it's great. I'll let you know when I get the part back. Rich
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:21 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Glad to hear you got it to work Rich, if even for a little bit.

Update on my progress, I sent my USB adapter in on Friday 11-5-04, according to USPS delivery confirmation MRC received it Monday 11-8-04 at 9:22 am. After waiting all last week I sent an email on Monday requesting the status of my replacement, and another email late Tuesday after not getting a reply. I was hoping they were ignoring my emails because it was due to arrive.

But today I couldn't stand the suspense so called them up. They told me it was in progress and would be shipped tomorrow. Makes me wonder if they lost it or what? And wonder if they would have sent it tomorrow if I hadn't called. Now I'm just hoping they actually do sent it. That will be a nine business day turnover from the day they received to to the day they send it. I was actually hoping for better.

Will let you all know when it arrives. Probably next week sometime, depending on how they ship it.

Wayne
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:21 PM
Crazy but Loveable
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined May 2004
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase

Also VERY sorry to hear that you purchased yours from HeliHobby too. I STILL haven't gotten a response from them, even after multiple emails over a two week period. NOTHING! I really wish I had done more research into HeliHobby because now I'm getting lot of advice to avoid them, as well as finding many many disgruntled customers who have nothing good to say about them in the various forums. I'm shocked how a company can stay in business when they treat customers like they do.
Wayne
They are like con men. Always able to find another victim.
Sorry it had to be you.
flyboy2610 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy2610