HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2001, 02:11 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Tough little Entry Level Pylon Racer

As some of our readers have already seen it fly I may as well post a little something here. I've been kicking around an idea of a entry level pylon racer. It seems that the 1st step right now is one of the fiberglass SP400 bullets. This gets the average flyer from his nice comfortable 50 MPH plane right up to a super small, highly loaded 90 MPH racer. Many guys don't want to take a chance on any thing as fragile (or as expensive) as the FG planes. I wanted to get a few more local fliers into the pylon mode also. I've been experimenting with a few options including foam and foam board. I was just introduced to the Chloroplast planes from a combat flyer. It semed that this was the ticket to a beggining flyer. I also like the idea of the E-150 class. I was fussing around with areas and airfoils, fuses and tails for a few weeks before actually committing an airframe to the air. This was actually Mk. III as the other two never made it into the air. To my suprise, it really flew quite well and didn't look half bad either. I've been practicing with that model for a week or so now and made a couple of modifications to the angles and thrustline. Mk. V is almost ready to churn the air and should be well refined. I'll let you know more as I get it tested as well. I also have a few test airframes out to different flyers to get some feedback so that should help as well. I was thinking along the lines of giving a class on building these in a few hrs on a Saturday. When that procedure is all finished, a flyer should be able to bring his radio and motor/Sc to the class and walk out with a completed flyable plane in less than 5 hrs. As I said, I'm trying to get the fine details taken care of and then the classes will start. I'm hoping this will bring a breath of fresh air into pylon racing!

GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Last edited by GregG; Feb 04, 2004 at 03:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2001, 02:24 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
Looking good my friend! I think I smell a god dog fight too! Tie some streamers on those little buggers after the pylon race and have a ball
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2001, 02:35 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,497 Posts
Thats an awesome looking plane, post some plans or something. Looks just as good as a molded plane, but lots cheaper.

One of my buddies uses the chloroplast for his own design delta flying wings he uses for combat.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 17, 2001, 03:34 AM
Windsor, UK
Joined Jun 2001
299 Posts
Well done.... superb

Bottom Line .. I want one.
Kit, ? Plans ?

Check out..... http://www.conceptmodels.co.uk/Delta%2020.htm

another coroplast / Correx (in the UK) plane,
Which converts to electric OK. They might help with kitting ?

whatever, want one ! ... Mark
Mark Sanders is offline Find More Posts by Mark Sanders
Old Jul 17, 2001, 06:56 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
Greg, is it all made up with 2mm coroplast?

How about some basic spec's (WS, weight,...)?
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jul 17, 2001, 07:11 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,314 Posts
Way to go Greg. And the simplicity of it!

Better start planning your retirement party !

Al
Al P is online now Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jul 17, 2001, 01:35 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Actually, the dog fight isn't such a bad idea. I got the idea for this after seeing a combat plane made by a clubmate. A CP delta wing, hmmmm, this sounds interesting!

Basic specs are 30" wing with 150 squares. 17.8 oz. w/ 6V SP400, 7-600ae cells, 2 HS-81 servos, 555 RX, Castle Creations SC. All plastic except for the wooden spar. I've built one in as little as 4 hr.s completed but need to get my templates dialed in and a set of instructions/steps drawn up. It's very stable and looks good in the air. I was getting too brave this weekend and doing low passes each way over the runway with an Immelman at each end. Twice I missjudged the entry altitude (DOUGHPH!) and managed a real nice full throttle figure nine. All that was required to get it in the air again was a prop change and glueing the motor back in! I guess I was lucky that the motor shaft didn't get bent. Anyway, I'm having a ball flying it as there is no pressure and I can do stupid things with it. It would probably be a good aileron trainer as well. There is plenty of room inside to fit at least 12-600Ae cells and still make CG! I may have to just try that out with a 12V SP400 I got from a buddy!
Old Jul 17, 2001, 04:40 PM
Dade City,fl,USA
Joined May 2001
39 Posts
Hey Guys. That thing looks really good! I've messed with the same idea and came up with some goog fling planes, but there all made out of blue foam and I mounted every thing extenally like a Sky Scooter. They look ok, but I like yours a lot better! I didn't know you could get coroplast that thin. where did you get it?
coolieo is offline Find More Posts by coolieo
Old Jul 18, 2001, 12:42 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I witnessed the full throttle crash. Really, all he did was swap the prop out and then glue the motor back in, gave it a toss and was off again!!

I should have mine soon I hope.....This is going to be fun!!---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Jul 19, 2001, 02:30 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Well, I redid my templates and made an entirely new airframe from them today. This one came out beautifully straight. I also figured I'd like some more speed so I thinned out the wing to 7/16". It still has the same motor/SC, and radio from the other airframe. I took it out this afternoon for a test flight. All indications were it would fly better without so much down trim and be faster as well. You couldn't have shocked me more, it was actually slower than the fat wing model. It needed no down trim so the thrust angle was right on but it wouldn't get up to a decent flying speed. I retried flying it again after recharging the batteries. Still it just floundered around, DANG! Upon returning home and checking the old wing it seemed that this new wing has a much wider radius on the leading edge. I just finished building another thin wing with a sharper leading edge. I'll let you know how it goes tommorow. Things are getting closer for the production version though!
Old Jul 19, 2001, 04:19 AM
T-52 over Seattle
Seattle
Joined Jun 2001
267 Posts
Greg,

Would it help to run an "L" bracket of styrene over the leading edge? Something like this?

Silver
Silver is offline Find More Posts by Silver
Old Jul 19, 2001, 01:48 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver:
Greg,
Would it help to run an "L" bracket of styrene over the leading edge? Something like this?
Silver
That's a good idea but a LE that sharp would probably high speed stall and not track well.

Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2001, 11:40 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Well, I got to fly it again today, in 25 MPH gusty winds! It pulled right out and seemed to penetrate the wind OK but I still couldnt judge the performance over the original. It was too darned windy. I'll go out again tomorow and do it all over. If I have to, I'll go back to the thicker wing as it is much easier to get a sharp leading edge.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 08:43 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
Nice work Greg.
Will you post the plans here on the Zone ?

It would be a good way to get lots of us all across the country into pylon.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Jul 24, 2001, 02:08 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
I didn't want everyone to think I was quitting on this. I finally got the PT-400 (Pylon Trainer - SP400) flying very well today! It even does inverted flight nicely! It only took me 6 wing designs to come up with a good thinner one. The one some of you saw fly was a rough model. I have 4 fuses and tails ready and need to build the finalised wings next, probably tomorrow. I plan on testing them all out to see if they are consistant, then going on to the class planning stage. This all took longer than I thought to bring along this far. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.