HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2004, 09:08 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,663 Posts
Great Planes Super Sportster EP Arf

Hi guys,

I just picked up the January Fly RC magazine and saw on the inside cover a very nice ad for the new Great Planes Super Sportster EP ARF.

48 inch wing, 383 in wing area, RTF weight of 52 oz. with 7 cell 2100 Nicad battery. Even has a proper battery hatch on top.

Only bummer, the kit includes a geared motor, esc, and battery, (which ups the cost by including stuff I would not use anyway.) No price is mentioned in the ad.

I checked the Tower web site and they don't list the kit. However, they list replacement fuse, tail set, and prop hub for a total of about $45.00, available late Dec.

Anyone have any further info on this kit? Seems like a great project with a brushless motor and 10 cells, (or 3S lipos)

Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Last edited by mickydee; Nov 13, 2004 at 10:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:30 PM
Joined Jun 2004
35 Posts
I was asking about that plane in this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=296951&page=2 Maybe the comments will help you with some of your questions. If you have any comments I'd like to hear them. Hope that helps some!
jkf243 is offline Find More Posts by jkf243
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:17 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,663 Posts
Hi J,

Thanks for the info. I think I will buy the kit, sell off the motor/gearbox/speedo/battery and have a nice airframe for well under $100.00. Add a brushless motor, 10 cells, and it should be a good flying, fairly large sport electric ship.

Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:32 AM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I wish they would make a kit version with no electronics, better yet just make a set of plans available to get rid of all the unnecessary lite ply that will inevitably be in there.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:35 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
Ryan
You would be surprised at the small amount of ply in that plane.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:00 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
I would expect this plane to be about as far off the mark as all the other e-flight stuff Hobbico/Great Planes comes out with. I don't know how the biggest company in the business can have such a long string of e-losers. It seems like every little garage outfit in the e-flight business has products that are better than anything Hobbico comes up with. Hobbico's turkeys include the Fundango, Tutor, Micro Whizz, ElectriCub and Ryan STA. Just look at their RV4 kit compared to the similar kit from Stevens Aero - crude junk in comparison. They have the biggest distribution system for web (Tower) or LHS distribution and they make nice glow kits (I have a Super Sporster 60), but they don't seem to have a handle at all on the electric stuff.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:36 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
what's wrong with the fundango? I just finished mine today and it seems like an OK kit. Of course, i didn't use the supplied power system but am putting a b/l in it. So whats you problem with it?
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:45 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
Werty,

Good thing you you are putting a brushless in it. The Fundango won't fly with the supplied power system. They also forgot the rudder!
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:47 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
yeah, i kinda figgerd that. I don't mind the lack of rudder and i might retro' one later. Any thing else?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:46 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I've got a built Fundango lying around gathering dust that I never even bothered trying to fly after reading information here about it. Also could never get a satisfactory elevator connection with the supplied material.

The 2 Great Planes kit's I've built recently have been anything but great. One was a Spirit and one was a Spirit Elite. It was my second Spirit, my first probably 10 years ago. When they used to include Hardware from other suppliers it wasn't so bad. But now that they have started making their own hardware the stuff is junk. There tube in tube pushrods have much more thermal expansion then anyone else. You can hardly make a Z-bend out of their 2-56 rod. In building both Spirit's I broke the rod making 3 Z-bends. In 15 years of modeling I have never broken rod making Z-Bends until these 3. Like a lot of companies their kits are becoming more and more an after thought, the market is all about ARF's. They do not want to spend the time engineering a good kit or giving you good supplies. The kids from the small companies like DJAerotech or SA are much better designed. They have construction that may not suit a 3rd world assembly line as well.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:52 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
I'd take the ol' 'dango if you don't want it.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:27 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I'd have to box it up and ship it and I don't think it's worth that much effort.