Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2004, 04:56 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
Monster RC-Garage

Build season has begun and I'm in need of a serious RC building room.

A little background, my home is built on a slab (no basement) so the only area I have for building planes is the "Bat Cave" better known as the garage. So I thought it might be fun to post a build thread of my transformation of chaos to RC building Bliss!

I guess this will be a bit like "This Old House" as I plan to:
1. Rewire some of the electric, add outlets, lots of lights, etc.
2. Install heat It get very cold in the winter...
3. Add tons of new storage, in some creative ways....
4. And of course the most important part, a fantastic build area.

I'll post links to some of the stuff I'll use, mostly from Lowes and Home Depot, and include pictures as I move along. So feel free to chime in with comments and advice.

So after 2 months of planning... Here I go
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2004, 05:00 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
So what's it look like now?

Glad you asked.

Its a two car garage thats never ever seen a car One of the worst things about a house build on a slab is no basement which means "little storage".

So here's a corner section where I try to build... Seems all I do is move the piles around to make some temporary room for building.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2004, 05:08 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
Where to start...

First thing I did was install "Rafter hanging shelves" from Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...55-43338-00625

These things are great! I installed 6 sections(4 visible), they lag bolt into you ceiling beams and provide about 4*8 feet of FREE storage space. They are designed to mount over a garage door so you can take advantage of wasted space.

Another nice things is the cage design, you can see all the items making it easy to locate stuff you've tucked away.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2004, 05:22 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,768 Posts
The first photo looks like someone opened the roof and dumped all that junk in there.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Nov 13, 2004, 05:32 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
Storage cabinets...

The current build area and the rest of the piles prevent me from using the garage for a car. So, I'll move everything to the opposite side and install several hundred cubic feet of storage.

We all have hung a few shelves, but they never seem to organize the stuff in a usefull way. So this time I'm buying pre-built cabinets. In my case I'm going to use Coleman stuff, and will explain why I as move along.

There is a good 2 feet of space offset from the garage doors, against the wall which offers huge areas for cabinets. My plan is to use ONE side of the garage as a primary cabinet wall and integrate a RC building area.

First up is the wall mount cabinets. The nice thing in this design is the wooden hanger which holds the cabinet. Makes it easy for one person to get the job done
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...580-2115-40918
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2004, 05:34 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esso Bee
The first photo looks like someone opened the roof and dumped all that junk in there.
Ah, so you understand why I'm posting this... I bet we have a few members who work like this as well

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:51 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Go, go, go! I'm pulling for you, Bob!

I need to GET TO WORK on space saving and organizing, pronto.

Lead the way, brother.

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Nov 14, 2004, 02:49 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,487 Posts
Bob,

This is looking good!

One of the main tools for keeping a workshop tidy is your own mindset - I have a very small workshop to both build and store models in, and the only way I can manage is to work on just one model at a time, and when a model is finished it gets allocated a space to store it in. This way there's only ever one project on the bench (barring repair work), and the rest of the fleet is kept out of harms way.

If you're the type of bloke that has half a dozen projects on the go, then you'll always be fighting for room, no matter how much you've actually got!

Keep the photos coming....

tim
tim hooper is online now Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Nov 14, 2004, 03:23 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,456 Posts
Bob

You might like to ask the moderator to move this thread to the appropriate Builder's Workshop forum, because it's on topic and the vast majority of modellers who might have some good ideas for you will tend to stay away from this particular forum.

What Tim said is correct, his workshop is the tidiest (and most productive) I've ever seen and that's by virtue of the mind of the man rather than any dimensional characterisitics.

Brian
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:46 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
What Tim said is correct, his workshop is the tidiest (and most productive) I've ever seen and that's by virtue of the mind of the man rather than any dimensional characterisitics.

Brian

tim
tim hooper is online now Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:21 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
Tim,
I wasn't sure about the best area to post, the forum descriptions didn't seem to fit. I appreciate the move, and as Brian points out I'd like to have some good participation. As you can see from the first picture, I'll need some help

All,
I'd really like to get some ideas on how to store my planes. I've seen some pictures of folks who suspend them from the ceiling. In my case all that area will be occupied with hanging shelves, the garage door, and lighting.

Bob.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2004, 09:25 PM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
231 Posts
Actually those cieling racks are a good basis for a pvc frame to hold fuse and wings. Thats what I used anyway, I lined it with that tube like insulation to prevent hanger damage.
Randy
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Nov 16, 2004, 02:46 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,241 Posts
Your place is about as tidy as mine.
My shop.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:53 PM
Brandon, MS USA
Joined Oct 2004
168 Posts
I'm the organized perfectionist type ... I cant look anymore! my eyes!
skid2964 is offline Find More Posts by skid2964
Old Nov 17, 2004, 05:34 PM
Watts is life...
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
Ah, but I'm the reconstruction type…

It looks worse then it really is, but I’m not going to start building any planes until this project is completed

I did complete the heating portion of the project.

I Installed a 6” round duct which I tapped off the main trunk line. This turned out to be more time consuming then I originally thought. While I have all the tools needed, running the line was a bit difficult to achieve by myself. I didn’t have the heart to ask my wife to climb into the crawl space and join the fun…. BUT I now have a heating vent installed right by my evolving build area.

Pictures to follow soon
RCG Plus Member